Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Sexuality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sexuality

Might as well start a thread.

Per our earlier discussions on the "natural" state of homosexuality, here is an amazing article on how homosexuality may have evolved:

Genes that make some people gay make their brothers and sisters fecund

I highly recommend it.

Anyway, thoughts?
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Re: Sexuality

It's funny how they have to find the root of the "problem" via research. We don't hunt around what makes boys and girls straight now do we?

Honestly, I couldn't say it's genetic - it's more a mentality and the way you are brought-up, your environments, take on things, experiences... numerous factors. It's why some people think gay marriage is wrong, and more to the point, adoption too. A mentality has to be formed, or put into place in order for one to think like that, and most of it takes place during child hood. I'm probably really wrong, but that's how I feel about it, the person i'm seeing would probably think different, maybe agree considering his doctorate background.

Gay men often see themselves as being more feminine than straight men do...
    Ha. True to some point. Though, my brother is as straight as a lamp post, yet is possibly way more camper than I am. Influence from me and then tripling/quadrupling it? Infact, what about the effeminate male who is happily married with kids?

There are also data which suggest that having a more feminine personality might indeed give a heterosexual male an advantage.
    Hell! Probably right, considering how much of womaniser my brother is. Womaniser V5 - he's done a few versions already!

Though there is the argument of reproduction, it was briefly touched upon, but it's true. A family name is hard to keep up being gay, it might be easier for a female as there don't seem to be much aggravation about towards them giving birth/adopting. But men are put into a tricky situation, it's almost deemed controversial. I would like (a) kid(s) at some point in my life, alas, not in this day and age.

Lets wave good bye to reproduction, somewhat.

I'll probably read this tomorrow and it won't make much sense.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

lol, didn't read it all. But I chalk it up to the domestication of humans since the very origins of society and an ever declining ration of sexual dimorphism in humans as well.

Comment

heh, continuing a family name. That's more of a pride thing really....
        (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

What I got from this:

If men acted more feminine, we'd be better off.

Comment

More like, if men acted more feminine, they'd get laid more. Works both ways.
            (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

yeah right.
              sigpic
              We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
              happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

Well, it's widely believed that colourblindness in males is a deviation that may not help the individual but will help the group, since they can "see through" camouflage by prey directed at the general senses of the predator, therefore having a colourblind male in the hunting party back in the day was an advantage. So it's perfectly reasonable to think that sexuality plays the same type of role in shaping society.

Comment

so...gay people are colorblind?

gotcha
                  Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                  you're pretty narcissistic
                  enjoy that, nobody else does.
                  Originally posted by Madklikor
                  You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Originally posted by evasivetear View Post
                    so...gay people are colorblind?

gotcha
                    mhmm

Edit: in the unfortunate case you were serious: It's perfectly reasonable to see why sexuality deviating from the "norm" mirrors the idea of colourblindness, where it may be disadvantageous for the individual but the overall advantage to the group trumps it. Things don't evolve for no reason.
                    Last edited by FeebleFables; October 24, 2008, 09:55 PM.

Comment

In response to Cribble:

I think that there has to be something said about the surroundings/experiences of a person, though. If homosexuality was an entirely learned behavior, there simply wouldn't be any homosexuality, because heterosexuality has been necessary up to today's society for reproduction. Therefore, any behaviors that are passed on would have necessarily occurred in a heterosexual home generally. I do not doubt the influence of the world and experiences to define and shape a persons sexuality, but I think it oftentimes builds on what is an unchangeable and unchosen foundation. So in other words, a person is born with a predisposition to behave a certain way and be attracted to a certain type of person, and then life experiences highlight and sharpen those predispositions.
                      Originally posted by Gnomad
                      I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                      do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
                        It's funny how they have to find the root of the "problem" via research. We don't hunt around what makes boys and girls straight now do we?
                        There are tons of studies on heterosexuality; it's just not called that. It's called "Human Sexuality."

My cynical side says all of this new research on homosexuality is because it's good money and job security. My compassionate side says that it will save lives of 18-yr-olds just starting college.

But it's not going to change the opinions of those who think it's wrong to have any other kind of sex than male/female. These folks don't care if sexual orientation is based on genetics or not. Those who point to proof of genetics in order to get the fundy crowd to accept us are wasting their time.

Honestly, I couldn't say it's genetic - it's more a mentality and the way you are brought-up, your environments, take on things, experiences... numerous factors.
                        I don't think it's just that, though. I can say from my own personal experience that being attracted to women came as a huge surprise to me. I wasn't raised in an environment that encouraged bisexuality.

Hell! Probably right, considering how much of womaniser my brother is. Womaniser V5 - he's done a few versions already!
                        I can tell you, I've had many more male sex partners than female. It's just easier that way. No strings. And men don't have an issue with the "bi" thing as much as lesbians do. And, just percentage-wise, there are more straight men than gay women. And I get along with male culture better than I do female. But I have some innate bi-dykey ways that don't work well with guys, I admit.

So . . . I have no idea where I'm going with this, but I've not really posted here in awhile so this is nice.

Comment

Homophobes suck...that's all I have to say.

Comment

Maybe I'll make a "dsv fan page" on my Facebook.

Comment

^

Comment

Working...
                              X