Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Via Rail > Any Song Ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Via Rail > Any Song Ever

"Via Rail" is fantastic, for sure. I have a special love for it just because its the January song on the record, and my birthday is in January. Cool huh?!?!?

But really. I remember listening to this record before our son was born because of all the themes about life and death and rebirth in the album... it just really fit with what we were learning and beginning to understand. Probably my favorite memory with this song was a few months ago when the band played here in town. Right before they started, Chris said that the next song was "for Jayden" (my son) and I about started bawling like a baby. Then they played it and after the second chorus Chris's mic went off, and the rest of the song was completely instrumental and REALLY loud. It was unforgettable and absolutely the best performance I've ever seen from them. They destroyed the place.

The song itself, though... the words, the melody, and the guitar line in the chorus specifically always get me. I love how this band draws so many parallels between nature and the human condition. No one else does it better.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Wait . . . what??

Oh! you were talking about best song. I thought you meant Kaddisfly covered the song.

Ok, you're right: Queen's BH is the best. Of course it is. Gosh! :-)

Trathena added 6 Minutes and 43 Seconds later...

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
      "Via Rail" is fantastic, for sure. I have a special love for it just because its the January song on the record, and my birthday is in January. Cool huh?!?!?

But really. I remember listening to this record before our son was born because of all the themes about life and death and rebirth in the album... it just really fit with what we were learning and beginning to understand. Probably my favorite memory with this song was a few months ago when the band played here in town. Right before they started, Chris said that the next song was "for Jayden" (my son) and I about started bawling like a baby. Then they played it and after the second chorus Chris's mic went off, and the rest of the song was completely instrumental and REALLY loud. It was unforgettable and absolutely the best performance I've ever seen from them. They destroyed the place.

The song itself, though... the words, the melody, and the guitar line in the chorus specifically always get me. I love how this band draws so many parallels between nature and the human condition. No one else does it better.
      Ok, I just bought this CD. I automatically love any band that would do this for you.

Comment

They're a great group of guys. Some of the most sincere people I've ever met.

Super God.
        do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Well, I can't wait to hear their music. So many here like them, and I only just realized I know nothing about them.

But they were nice to you, so it doesn't matter now. I'm a fan! :-)

Comment

They really are. I always have a great time talking with them when I see them live. They're just amazingly open to their fans and very kind.
            Semen and anger... definitely dredg fans.
            Originally posted by noclevername
            stretch marks are a big ol cosmic thumbs up.

Comment

They need to come to my area! Why have I never heard them?

Comment

um..they may have Trathena..yeah you should listen to some Kaddisfly..they're pretty good

best song ever?..I am better at choosing full albums..which 3 would qualify on my list:

Marillion - BRAVE
                Soundscape - DISCOVERY
                Kevin Gilbert - THE SHAMING OF THE TRUE

but I suppose if I chose a best or most sentimental song of all time, this will sound cheesy, but I often go back to the WIZARD OF OZ and SOMEWHERE OVER THE RAINBOW. Even tho that sounds weird, it resonates so many memories with me..it doesn't matter that's it's simple or cheesy..I sort of connect with it in a non-analytical way. Maybe cuz I was in the play THE WIZARD OF OZ when I was a kid and watched the movie so many times.

ya know otherwise, I might say something like Yes - THE GATES OF DELIRIUM or the entire "A Pleasant Shade of Gray" from Fates Warning as 1 song.
                allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Kaddisfly's "Set Sail the Prairie" is without a doubt one of my favorite albums ever.

Super God.

Comment

Kaddisfly's "Set Sail the Prairie" is without a doubt one of my favorite albums ever.
                    Damn! And I'm just now getting it? Where have I been??

Oh well, it's all been corrected now. It's ordered.

----------------
                    Listening to: The Dear Hunter - The Bitter Suite I & II: Meeting Ms. Leading and Through the Dime

Comment

+infinity x 10

It's one of those albums which, if I start listening to, I have to finish it. I can't just leave it half way through Via Rail... or just before Clouds. No. That album will get finished within 10 minutes of being turned off, or distracted from. There's only one other album that is probably as addictive, and that's Quitter's 'Sender.Receiver'.... but, meh, that's just me...

I'm also currently hooked on I am robot and proud's "The electricity in your house wants to scream." (Places We're Trying To Find)

cribble added 3 Minutes and 30 Seconds later...

AH, i'm listening to it again. Fourth time today. Gah, love this...
                      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Agreed....one of the greatest albums I've ever heard!
                        - Jon

----------------------------------------
                        Originally posted by gderd
                        dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music
                        ----------------------------------------

Comment

Jesus Christ! Why aren't any of the songs on anyone's board mixes?

This album can't arrive soon enough.

Comment

likely due to the fact most the board has heard this album and know them..granted, for myself, I was in K-Fly mix-mode a few years ago, and have since refrained from including them as to avoid repetition of bands.
                            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

But what about meeeee????? :-)

Comment

give me about 7 minutes.

emptyzero added 16 Minutes and 41 Seconds later...

via rail (extended) live @ station 4 in st. paul, mn may 9th 2008. (aud source)

.flac available if requested.

http://www.mediafire.com/?n1zqddm9tfr @ 320kbps

Comment

Working...
                                X