Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

election '08

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• election '08

i'm guessing most people here are obama supporters.... i'd take him over mccain, but i'm pretty skeptical of both for very different reasons. I'm afraid obama would destroy the economy, but would be better than mccain on civil liberties. And i'm afraid mccain would keep us at war for too long and start new wars (Iran).

If there were any ron paul followers here - have you heard of bob barr, the libertarian party candidate? he doesn't have near the personality that paul had, but shares many of the same positions on important issues.

i just enjoy hearing opinions... any nader fans? chuck baldwin fans?
    www.facebook.com/bowinero

Re: election '08

What is it that you like about the Libertarian Platform?

I'm going to be all kinds of ageist and just say that--though I love Nader, and voted for him in 2000--I think he's too old now. Sometimes I hear him speak and think, "damn, he's still so fucking smart," and I think about voting for him. But no, he's too old.

I am a dues-paying member of The Green Party, and have seriously considered voting for Cynthia McKinney, but I do not think she's qualified enough. Also, I don't know if I trust her to actually try to put forward the entire Green Party platform. I think that the Greens are too focused on popular green issues at the moment.

If I had to vote tomorrow, I'd vote for Obama--though he disappoints me virtually on a weekly basis--because he's qualified, brilliant, and seemingly sincere. And, of course, nobody is perfect. But if I don't like his choice for VP, I'll probably just write in Colbert/Stewart.

Comment

The only reason Bob Barr should ever be mentioned...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mPn4mlFycpI

I support Ralph Nader, with Obama second.
      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Borat was hilarious.
        http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
        seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

zombie reagen

Comment

Originally posted by fuckyeahfinnegan View Post
            zombie reagen
            word

Comment

If we're doing zombies, I'll go with Lincoln.

Otherwise I'm Obama. I guess I'm inexplicably partial to Illinois.
              Originally posted by Gnomad
              I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                If we're doing zombies, I'll go with Lincoln.

Otherwise I'm Obama. I guess I'm inexplicably partial to Illinois.
                that's foolish, Lincoln was a good president. he'll fuck up things if he comes back as a zombie. there probably isn't much left of him anyway.

and what's so great about Illinois? they don't even pronounce the "s" in their state's name. they are almost as bad as Arkansas.

Comment

I'm voting for Bill Hicks

Comment

I was for Ron Paul. Read into him a bit and enjoyed his perspective. He is incredibly smart. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him out of the race...
                    'What man has made of man' - Wordsworth: Lines Written in Early Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
                      I'm voting for Bill Hicks
                      Well, that's it. I'm officially in love with Knifeboy.

Originally posted by apg3soup View Post
                      I was for Ron Paul. Read into him a bit and enjoyed his perspective. He is incredibly smart. Now I'm not sure what I'm going to do with him out of the race...
                      Well, what is it about Ron Paul that you liked? I agree that he's incredibly smart. But what is it about his platform that you liked? Why do you think he would have been a good president?

Trathena added 2 Minutes and 32 Seconds later...

Originally posted by fuckyeahfinnegan View Post
                      that's foolish, . . .
                      What?? you can't even spell Reagan correctly!

;-)

Comment

Can I just link some videos I watched instead of try and sum it all up?
                        'What man has made of man' - Wordsworth: Lines Written in Early Spring

Comment

Originally posted by apg3soup View Post
                          Can I just link some videos I watched instead of try and sum it all up?
                          Of course!

And I guess, in the spirit of full disclosure, since I outed myself as a Green, it's obvious I don't care for the Libertarian Party or Ron Paul. But I want to find out what you like about him before I say what I don't.

----------------
                          Now playing: Peter Gabriel - A Different Drum
                          via FoxyTunes

Comment

I disagree with Paul practically on some issues, but I actually just finished his book "The Revolution" and I think he's a fantastic guy with some great arguments. His basic principle - that government isn't a necessary intermediary between citizens in every scenario - is absolutely something I agree with. His explanation of monetary policy, the gold standard, the ridiculousness of federal rate cuts and such are all very convincing and almost mind boggling in their simplicity. And of course the arguments he makes as far as marijuana legalization, the money wasted on federal programs, etc. are all very sound.

That being said, I don't agree that government can't serve some greater good... I'm an ardent Obama supporter primarily because of healthcare and international policy (ironically Paul says he agrees more with Obama's international policy over McCain's).
                            Originally posted by Gnomad
                            I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                            Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                            do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

I have many libertarian beliefs but am not a member of the Party and never will be. I will always vote on a candidate whose values align closest to mine.... and if there is not a candidate that suits me, then I will not vote.

What appeals to me about libertarian ideals: empowering individuals, reducing scope of government; non-interventionism; anti-drug war; "live and let live" philosophy; free markets; free trade; respect for human rights.

I disagree with libertarians on a couple issues... one of the main issues is the environment. I am in favor of some sort of green or carbon tax, to incorporate the full cost of consumption... This is obviously difficult to quantify, but I believe this system would do a better job of producing low pollution solutions than cap-and-trade schemes. Another issue that can be a hot-button issue with some libertarians is gun control laws... libertarians tend to always side with complete freedom when it comes to gun ownership... because i'm not an avid gunman (in the hunting or sport sense) and guns are just scary to me, I would tend to support some moderate gun control laws.

i would have voted for ron paul... i don't like mccain or obama (but would probably prefer obama)... bob barr is creepy, and he's done a complete about face, which causes me to worry about his fickleness.... i'll vote for gavin hayes.
                              www.facebook.com/bowinero

Comment

Working...
                              X