Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

porcupine tree - nil recurring EP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• porcupine tree - nil recurring EP

wow, cannot believe that there is no thread about this piece of music? somebody heard it?
    very good musica, muy bien!

Re: porcupine tree - nil recurring EP

there was discussion about it I think in the FoaBP thread, when it leaked last Fall.
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

General consesus among my PT loving friends and I, seems to be that Nil Recurring, even though it's only four tracks long is way better than FOABP

Comment

I agree with Knifeboy. As a big PT fan, FOaBP kind of disappointed me. Anesthesize is a great song, but the album as a whole didn't do much for me. Seeing it played live was much different, though. I would like to see PT make another album like the old ones (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun), but I feel like Steven is getting that creativity out in the form of Blackfield.

Anyway, Nil Recurring is sweet.
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

yeah.."Normal" is terrific.
          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Normal is in the top 5 of best PT songs ever
            For me, it's the best post-In Absentia song
            And I hope now that he's perfected the Deadwing-FOABP era sound in Normal, that he's gonna move on yet again

Comment

I'm one of the few that really likes Fear, I think. I'd heard that it's disappointing, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be hearing that's not there. The vocals are beautiful, the piano on Sentimental is gorgeous. Anesthesize is worth the price of the CD alone. And the 1:50 mark on Way Out of Here . . . stunning!

I admit that In Absentia is still my favorite, but I love Fear. I love Nil Recurring too though. Damn, I love anything that I've ever hear from Wilson, so maybe I'm not one to discuss this since I seem to be a big fan-girl. Hmm.

I need to get Lightbulb Sun. Haven't heard it yet.

Comment

Lightbulb Sun is 'where it's at' from that sort of era of things. I still listen to Voyage 34 the most, though, so what do I know?

Also, I'm going with Nil Recurring > FOABP too. PT have had annoying lyrics throughout their history, but FOABP had some really facile stuff that grates every time I hear it and really distracts from the music.

Comment

Originally posted by Trathena View Post
                  I'm one of the few that really likes Fear, I think. I'd heard that it's disappointing, but I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be hearing that's not there. The vocals are beautiful, the piano on Sentimental is gorgeous. Anesthesize is worth the price of the CD alone. And the 1:50 mark on Way Out of Here . . . stunning!

I admit that In Absentia is still my favorite, but I love Fear. I love Nil Recurring too though. Damn, I love anything that I've ever hear from Wilson, so maybe I'm not one to discuss this since I seem to be a big fan-girl. Hmm.

I need to get Lightbulb Sun. Haven't heard it yet.
                  yeah you'd probably fit in pretty well over on the PTF..lol the other day I posted my albums list for 2008 and some guy over there seemed shocked I'd rate the new Panic at the Disco a 1/4 star higher than their new live release "We Lost the Skyline."

I'm into them, but I hardly feel like it compared to most the folks over there. Suppose I could kind of say the same here with dredg. Every other forum I'm on, I'm one of if not the biggest dredg fan, but here?..i'm still somewhat of a newb :P
                  Last edited by SoundscapeMN; May 6, 2008, 11:24 PM.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Yeeaahh . . . just to see if I knew what I was talking about, I decided to listen to Stupid Dream and Deadwing. And, yeah, they're both a lot better than Fear. I think I'm guilty of doing what I do with both Precious and With Teeth. Because both of these albums (and Fear) are head and shoulders better than your average Billboard hit, I think they're fantastic. But when I hold them up to other albums, singles, etc. by the artists themselves, I can see why they get panned.

Not saying I don't still love Fear, Precious, With Teeth, and heh, Catch Without Arms. But they're not as good as their predecessors.

And you'll never be a "newb" as long as I'm here, hon.

Trathena added 5 Minutes and 4 Seconds later...

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                    I'm into them, but I hardly feel like it compared to most the folks over there.
                    By the way, OH MY GOD, the listserv! Are you on that? I had to get off of it because, shit who has the time to read email after email after email on whether the DVD surround is better than the DVD-A or whatever the fuck they're obsessing about.

Look, I respect every person on that list, and they have fantastic taste in music and encyclopedic knowledge of PT, but wow. I found myself reading a multi-paragraph tome on the small minute differences between the new DVD release of a CD that I don't even own yet, and realized, wtf?? I'm just not that big a fan.

I say all of this knowing damn good and well that if there was an Ours listserv, I'D be the one writing an email like that, so don't take all of the above as criticism.

Comment

Sad to say, I just couldn't really get into it. Or FOABP, for that matter. Maybe this is bad of me, but the lyrics were a dealbreaker. Absolutely cringe-worthy.

Everything they did from Signify up to and including Deadwing is in my top 50 albums, too, with SD/LBS/IA being the peak. Hopefully this last batch of material was just a bump in the road for Steve and Co.

Comment

Well, like someone else said, perhaps Wilson is focusing all of his creative energies on Blackfield (which I also love).

I've recently bought my first No-Man but is hasn't arrived yet.

Comment

I heard the new No-Man last week..never been able to really get into them..like each album has 1 or 2 songs I like and the rest is mostly filler..

"listery"?..are you referring to the Porcupine Tree email list on Yahoo?..cuz those folks and the http://www.porcupinetreeforum.co.uk/.../yabb2/YaBB.pl

ya know..they are at times 24-7 PT/Steven Wilson..

I'm not even 24-7 Ours or Kevin Gilbert or Marillion, lol..so no way in hell would I find a need to consume that much SW, and the guy is like a music producing pez-dispenser..and a lot of it is this anti-music or diy/ambient stuff that a lot of them go apeshit over that bores the fuck out of me most of the time.

He's actually a bit like Mike Patton in that respect..he has the 1 band I like a lot in PT, and the 1 band I like but not quite as much in Blackfield..and he has a lot of other projects that have never gone anywhere with me.

PLANET, I have written this before I'm sure, but it bares repeating; it's to me is not so much that the music itself is bad, it's just I ask myself "why do I want to go back and listen to this?..and there aren't any *meaty* signature songs..sure ANESTHETIZE on paper should be awesome, but for all it's length and even with some cool sections, it doesn't leave a strong residual mark in my memory the way say ARRIVING SOMEWHERE BUT NOT HERE or..TRAINS did/does. The lyrics aren't great, but actually I don't as much issue with. Altho I remember the 1st few times playing it and feeling almost depressed afterwards..but not in the typical melancholy-way I do with PT.

no matter..the previous 3 albums were all good and quality work, I'm hardly giving up on them..this EP is probably enough evidence that SW hasn't lost his talents for PT entirely.
                          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I've only listened Anesthetize through once, all the other times i've gotten bored and skipped the track halfway through.
                            It sounds like 3 mediocre songs slapped together
                            It could have been one awesome 6-7 minute long song

And I completely agree with your last sentence.. They'll have to do a lot worse than this, to make me stop getting excited everytime they release something new

Comment

Working...
                            X