Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Microphones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Microphones

I know several of you record music...

What mics do you use for acoustic guitar? I'm considering SM81's or SM94's at the moment, but the way they're described in reviews makes it difficult to find much of a difference between them. Roughly, SM94's are $150-175 cheaper than SM81's, so if I can figure this out.. I could save a lot of money.

Re: Microphones

From experience, i find the best acoustic sound is from mic-ing it up with a condenser microphone. Though these require phantom power, and i'm not sure of your set-up, but you'll need a mixer/pre-amp of some type (some soundcards have phantom power built into them... check your set-up). You could probably pick up a decent condenser mic for a lot less also.

Though, cause i'm poor, i use a SM57, and also use a DI signal from the guitars pick-up. This way i have the warmth of the body, but the attack of the strings...

You could get real complex here and move the DI signal so it's align with the mic signal - this makes it sit better in the mix.

Though i've made some fairly nice-ish recordings. Like so.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Oh, and make sure your acoustic has a nice big ol' body... they sound better. My acoustic was designed for live stuff (smaller body) and thus, sucks!
      (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

I don't know much about recording through mixers. I only recently picked up THIS, and now I'm trying to familiarize myself with different techniques -- mainly for acoustic. Before I caved in and bought it, I was just using whatever I could find to record with (borrowed 4-tracks, 8-tracks, shoebox recorders, etc.). Anyway, I have learned that acoustic guitars are easiest to record with condenser mics, so that's why I'm considering them. People have told me that the SM57 is good for many things, and that it's become one of the standard mics in the music business. The only reason I haven't bought one is because I've read too many mixed reviews. For every 3 "it's awesome for acoustic! It's so balanced"s there's 1-2 "lows are too high on acoustic". Do you have any clips/songs recorded with full strums? Also, how much do you rely on your EQ?
        Last edited by Ooga; April 12, 2008, 12:38 PM.

Comment

That thing should have phantom power on it for condensers, though i haven't had much experience with stand along multi-track recorders like so.

Any mic can have too much low end, it depends on how you mic up your instrument/amp. I used to have real bad bass on my acoustic because i pointed it directly into the sound hole. Nowaday, i get a real nice sound from angling it so it points at the sound hole, but more so towards where the neck and body connects. This way i pick up the sound hole beef, yet some attack and clarity from the strings.

And don't worry about getting the mic real close to the acoustic... infact, fuck it, play around where you position the mic in terms of distance and where to point it. You can get some awesome effects by doing so.

Though, this is all subject to opinion, you'll probably have a different acoustic, so you'll need to play around to get a comfortable, yet decent sounding mic position.

Yeah, you'll find you rely on EQ's quite a bit. I know hardcore sound engineers have harsh opinions on this like: "you should try and get the sound right when you record it" which is true, but sometimes you need to cut or boost (boosting is another fickle engineering argument) something to make it sit better in the mix, or you couldn't get the sound you wanted due to equipment, room, positioning, drugs, whatever. EQ-ing is a matter of opinion, personal judgements and what your ears tell you.

Same with any effect, do what your ears tell you and what you think is right.

I don't have any sound clips on me, nor will i until i get home next week (if i have time).
          (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
            Though i've made some fairly nice-ish recordings. Like so.
            I absolutely loved that

Comment

Working...
            X