Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Oscar Thoughts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oscar Thoughts

Sittingsideways steered his in a different direction... so here it is. I'm watching it taped. So most of my thoughts will come later.

I'm so glad Javier Bardem won Supporting Actor.... but that was a difficult category. Having seen all but the Jesse James movie, I can say all the actors were brilliant in their roles, and Casey Affleck was phenomenal and overlooked in "Gone Baby Gone".
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

An Oscar post I just made on another forum:

well..films like THE HOAX and FIRST SNOW ..even ALPHA DOG..were better than both of them (NCFOM, TWB..but I've come to expect these (Oscars) to lack films that didn't get released around "Oscar Season" anyway.

But afa the actual results/awards show..I just posted this on mp.com

was it just me, or did PTA look like he's gained a lot of weight?

Swinton, as I wrote in the MICHAEL CLAYTON thread..very surprising to see win. Not that I loved the film or even look as a classic performance, but I cannot believe in terms of difficulty and acting ability, how much Cate Blanchett did in portraying Bob Dylan would have more weight than Swinton in MICHAEL CLAYTON. I really wonder if her victory had something to do with a Career-Oscar gift. Also the woman from LE VIE EN ROSE I guess I didn't read or hear much of anything about her having much chance of winning. I haven't seen the film, but between Ellen Page, Julie Christie, and again..Blanchett, that was another one out of leftfield. Good for her, it certainly made the show more edgey.

Altho wtf was the deal with them giving out the BEST ACTRESS and then going like an hour until the BEST ACTOR was given out? ..every year,..as Clooney joked, the show is wayy too long. The GLOBEs and SAGs have got it right. Or hell, even the IFP's.

Diablo Cody and ONCE was cool to see win, altho I did enjoy seeing PUSHING DAISIES's Kristin Chenowith perform 1 of the 3 songs from ENCNANTED.

Johnny Depp: is now approaching Peter O'Toole and Kate Winslet territory with I believe 3 nominations now and 0 wins. Will Smith iirc, may be in the same situation.

I'd even say, among the Coen Bro's body of work, you could argue their best film never won anything. Not my favorite, but THE BIG LEBOWSKI may go down historically as their most respected and loved. Why I wonder often with the Academy, if there isn't some trend to flood the voting to give people with a long history of work, makeup for not being awarded in the past. Swinton as well.
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I don't know what a lot of your abbreviations mean. =\

I loved No Country, though. I'm not sure if you're saying you didn't care for it, but I thought it was excellent, and am thrilled that it won. I would've been furious had Atonement won. And Bourne winning the sound and editing awards was spot on. I am happy with the list of winners, but it is a shame that Johnny still hasn't won an oscar. He certainly deserves one.

Comment

yeah i didnt understand most of that post above. But after much thought i guess it does make sense for ultimatum to win those awards (so please, mods... delete that other thread. My mistake. lol) But i stick with my thought that a movie has to be good all around to actually be nominated for an award.

I was actually pretty pleased with this years oscars. Good host in Stewart, very funny. Even at times he pushed the envelope, saying that the singer of that "Once" song was quote unquote Arrogant. HAHA.

All the major awards were pretty spot on. I feel bad for casey affleck because he did an amazing job in Jesse James. I just wish they could have awarded both him and javier. Amazing movies and acting all around in those guys.

Daniel Day Lewis is probly one of the most overlooked actors... he makes amazing movies. There will be blood was an incredibly well acted and shot film. And im also happy they got the cinematography award... amazing shots in that movie.

The only thing i think was incorrect was the supporting actress, shoulda been kate blanchett...

All together tho, pretty happy that some amazing movies got complimented tonight.
        Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Kyle, do you really think Alpha Dog was better than any of the nominated pictures? I thought There Will Be Blood was pretty bad, but it was at least 10 times better than Alpha Dog.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

yes, yes I do. Ben Foster was a badass in that film..and I was frankly shocked and impressed at the same time from Justin Timberlake. And the story was very thoroughly researched and conveyed since it was loosely based on true events. I met the director Nick Cassavetes afterwards and he impressed me a ton.
            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Ben Foster was Eli in Freaks & Geeks. I like Ben Foster.

Comment

alpha dog was a peice of garbage.

There were so many characters and story lines in that movie that were totally unconvincing. Emile Hirches character was completely stupid, horrible acting and the ending of that movie made me feel like i wasted two hours of my life.

There will be blood was awesome. Every character was portrayed wonderfully, and every actor acted their asses off.

No movie with justin timberlake will ever be nominated. EVER!

Comment

i was going to contribute to this thread, but then I saw the Alpha Dog thing...and figured that whatever I write is going to be a waste of my time. Anyone who thinks Alpha Dog is better than any of the nominated films needs to stop watching movies and go back to coloring books.

Comment

Originally posted by kata rokkar
                    i was going to contribute to this thread, but then I saw the Alpha Dog thing...and figured that whatever I write is going to be waste of my time. Anyone who thinks Alpha Dog is better than any of the nominated films needs to stop watching movies and go back to coloring books.
                    couldnt have been put any better.

Comment

wasn't alpha dog a comedy about white boy gangsta types?
                      http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Comedy? No. But the kidnapped kid is an awesome actor. He was great in "Charlie Bartlett" as well.

Comment

im pretty sure dude was joking... lol

i really want to see that movie... totally interests me.

and yes, he was the only brightspot in the movie...

and when i say brightspot... i mean a glimmer from the corner of rosie odonnels mouth after scarfing down a glazed doughnut.

Comment

I don't know. Olivia Wilde was in that movie, and she's been amazing on House, MD.

Comment

to be honest i never watched it all the way through. i like movies that are.....y'know..... good. like "How's Your News"...that should have swept the Oscars the year it was released.
                              http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Working...
                              X