Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Mega Music Discovery & Recommendation Thread (Mmmm, TAD!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mega Music Discovery & Recommendation Thread (Mmmm, TAD!

In some other forums I frequent, there are entire sub-forums dedicated to promoting unsigned and unheard acts.  Around here, most of that seems to wind up in the year end recommendations, or single bands get their own thread, or they wind up in random threads as off-topic tangents.

So let's enrich each other's lives with all the little gems we've found.  No genre limits, no "wrong" recommendations, just share what you think is good.

I'll give us some kind of format to follow, so it'll be easy to just fill in the gaps and post.  Template is below... just quote this post and replace the  relevant text (don't forget to change all the band links too):

-----

[img]Band Picture[/img]

Band Name: Band

Genres: copy/paste from MySpace, etc.
    For Fans Of: Band 1, Band 2, Band 3
    Label: label name or unsigned

Band Links: MySpace | PureVolume | ReverbNation | Official Site

Recommended Song(s): "Title Of Song" "Title Of Song 2"

The Takeaway: Break down in a couple of sentences what to focus on/what's good/what is interesting about the band, as well as any other interesting or relevant info (who they opened for/toured with, who produced them, former bands they were in, etc.)

Added after 7 minutes:

Band Name: subNatural

Genres: Industrial/Rock/Alternative
    For Fans Of: Nine Inch Nails, Celldweller, Stabbing Westward
    Label: unsigned

Band Links: MySpace | ReverbNation

Recommended Song(s): "Come Undone" (Duran Duran cover), "Ohmnipresence"

The Takeaway: Awesome programming and production from an unsigned act out of Texas. The sound is similar to late-era Circle Of Dust but has a unique combination all its own. The female vocals in their cover of "Come Undone" are killer.

Added after 12 minutes:

Band Name: Pivot

Genres: Rock/Progressive/Alternative
    For Fans Of: 3 (Three), Queensryche, Rush

Recommended Song(s): "Vitality" "Wordsmith"

The Takeaway: These guys know how to mix soaring vocals and alterna-rock sensibilities with interesting and somewhat challenging (for the mainstream, at least) compositions.  Good stuff.

AWESOME FUCKING THREAD!! BEST THREAD OF '08 INSTANTLY...

Band Name: TheDealWasForTheDiamond

Genres: Alternative / Progressive / Ambient
    For Fans Of: Russian Circle, Oceansize, Explosions in the sky

Band Links: MySpace

Recommended Song(s): "TheDealWasForTheDiamond" "Human Farmyard"

The Takeaway: After playing with these guys at Brighton's The Providence (bootleg can be found in the "post-rock" thread) i've never seen such an intense live show for some local guys. The songs are good, the sets are great, the energy is high, and they left some steam on the stage afterwards... THATS HOW FRIGGIN HOT IT WAS.

Band Name: Casiokid

Genres:  Emotronic / Electro / Pop
    For Fans Of: : ( (aka Semi Colon, open bracket), nullsleep, 8 bit weapon

Band Links: MySpace

Recommended Song(s): "Save The Emotion" "A Match Made In Heaven"

The Takeaway: Well, it's sort of quirky pop music but made in that awesome chip-tune style which makes it even more likeable for me. The songs are just... well... the ultimate pop-sensation on a Nintendo instead! We'll be gigging with them in Feb.

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Cribble, I love that band name TheDealWasForTheDiamond. Pure awesome (I love the Indiana Jones movies, have since I was a little tyke) Very good music too.

I'll try to find something I can post In here. My local scene sucks balls. Nothing but hardcore and acoustic.
      Originally posted by Gnomad
      Semen and anger... definitely dredg fans.
      Originally posted by noclevername
      stretch marks are a big ol cosmic thumbs up.

Comment

Band Name: One Way Letter

Genres: Indie/Pop/Rock
        For Fans Of: Paramore, Taking Back Sunday, Cartel
        Label: Negative Progression

Band Links: MySpace | PureVolume

Recommended Song(s): "The Damage", "Get Down Sarah Connor" (from an early demo, may be hard to find)

The Takeaway: I don't think they're around anymore, and they only released one CD, but I liked these guys (and gal) for a while. I met them at one of their first shows. I think they were all like seniors when the CD was released and going off to college broke them up. They are a less-produced version of Paramore before Paramore was around.

Added after 15 minutes:

Band Name: Tyler Read

Genres: Rock
        For Fans Of: Pink Spiders, The Darkness, catchy rock
        Label: Immortal Records

Recommended Song(s): "The Killer" (one of the best opening tracks this year), "Baby's Got A Temper", "Get Ready", "A Litmus Test"

The Takeaway: I first saw this band at a show with the band above (they were coming through town and asked if they could open at the super-tiny venue). I also saw them open for Fall Out Boy (on a similar type thing, I assume). They're first 2 EPs (Ghosts By Comparison and The Light, The Glass, The Transparency) are good, but their first full-length is awesome. I just put it as my #7 of last year. They seem like they want to be FOB, but at the same time, they want to be a rock band. I don't know that this band will ever get very big, but I think they are just fantastic.
        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Re: Mega Music Discovery & Recommendation Thread

Band Name: Artemis

Genres: Trip-Hop/Electronica/Alternative
          For Fans Of: Portishead, Bjork, Ray Of Light-era Madonna, Martina Topley-Bird
          Label: RTFM Records

Band Links: MySpace | ReverbNation | Official Site

Recommended Song(s): "Fountain Of Life" "Undone"

The Takeaway: Another random "let's browse the favorites on the profile of a band I like" thing.  I was blown away with how good this chick is, since 99% of Bay Area electronic artists are horribly, horribly bad.

Comment

I want to introduce some german bands:

Band Name: Polarkreis 18

Genres: Dance / Electro / Pop / Experimental
            For Fans Of: Sigur Ros (voice), some song parts remind me of Aereogramme
            Label: Motor Music

Band Links: MySpace http://www.myspace.com/poalrkreis18 | Official Site http://www.polarkreis18.de

Recommended Song(s): "Dreamdancer", "Look", "Under this big moon"

The Takeaway: Watch "Dreamdancer" http://youtube.com/watch?v=4jEoYqPd10Q Great live performance!

************************************************** ***********************

Band Name: Slut

Genres: Alternative / Rock / Indie
            For Fans Of: pure melodic Rock
            Label: Virgin

Band Links: MySpace http://www.myspace.com/slut | Official Site http://www.slut-music.de

Recommended Song(s): "Staggered And Torn", "All We Need Is Silence", "Wednesday"

The Takeaway: "Lookbook" is a nice Alternative/prog record. After that they made two solid rock albums ("Nothing Will Go Wrong" and "All We Need Is Silence"). You can listen to some songs on their official site. They'll release a new record at the end of January.

************************************************** ***********************

Band Name: Blackmail

Genres: Indie / Rock
            For Fans Of: loud guitars, loud cymbals
            Label: city slang

Band Links: MySpace http://www.myspace.com/thisisblackmail | Official Site http://www.blackmail.de

Recommended Song(s): "Moonpigs", "False Medication"

The Takeaway: Watch "Moonpigs" http://youtube.com/watch?v=QUD3D_znhjQ . You can download their new song "False Medication" on their myspace site.

Comment

Band Name: Dark Moor

Genres:  Metal / Rock / Classical
              For Fans Of: Iron Maiden, Sonata Arctica, Helloween
              Label: Scarlet Records (Italy)

Band Links: Myspace | Official Site

Recommended Songs: "Wheel Of Fortune", "The Silver Key", "The Moon"*, "Devil In The Tower"*  (pm me for those two)

The Takeaway: Classically-inspired, ORIGINAL power metal from the land of amazing (albeit acoustic) guitar solos. Tarot is money well-spent, and features two epic songs, one of which is a reworking of 3 of Beethoven's symphonies ("The Moon"). Additionally, you've just seen one of the least attractive band members in history (far right).
              Facebook / Twitter

Comment

woiw..very cool thread idea. I'm checking out Pivot and some others right now. I'll post a few once I have a bit of time. Certainly some bands I'm curious if folks around here would be interested in.
                allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Band Name: Roma di Luna

Genres:  Roots Music / Acoustic / Americana
                  For Fans Of:

Band Links: Official Site | MySpace

Recommended Song(s): "These Tears Ain't Mine" "Don't Take My Baby to War" "Never Surrender to Silence"

The Takeaway: "Roma di Luna is an acoustic duo whose music recalls early 20th century folk and country set to modern times." They play sets with a full band as well, including violin, banjo, electric guitar, electric bass, drums and upright bass. The last track on their debut album Find Your Way Home is an amazing cover of Neutral Milk Hotel's "In the Aeroplane Over the Sea." The snocap clip doesn't do it justice but I'm torrenting some live sets on the Traders' Den.

Comment

Band Name: Nels Cline, best known for his work with Wilco

Genres: Experimental, Jazz, Rock
                    For Fans Of: Wilco, At The Drive In, Sparta, Pat Metheny, any sort of progressive or jazz groups
                    Label: Many

Band Links:  | http://www.myspace.com/nelscline |   http://www.nelscline.com/ |

Recommended Song(s): Everything on his myspace

The Takeaway: If you are familiar with Wilco, you'll recognize Nels as their current lead guitarist, but his work as a solo and contributing artist covers many genres and extends to many groups. Going through the songs on his myspace will show an intensely creative musician, able to work magic with just about any song. The Angel of Angels is a sweeping ballad, like something from a movie, all acoustic guitars and strings. Square King, Cause For Concern, and He Still Carries A Touch are very driving, fast paced jazz-fusion numbers that will definitely stick in your head.
                    Save your stories cause they're all the same
                    You've had your glory
                    Throw it all away
                    If you don't you will never change cause
                    Give it time and watch your fame decay

Comment

Band Name: Houston

Genres: Rock, Alternative, Indie
                      For Fans Of: Smashing Pumpkins, Hum, Queens of the Stone Age
                      Label: Independent (Their own label)

Band Links: http://myspace.com/onesimpleband

Recommended Song(s): "At The Foot of the Gunflint Trail" "Send her my love (Journey cover)" "Ugly Tree"

The Takeaway: A powertrio of grand measures, virtuosos of producing as well as mastery of their respective instruments.  Shared the stage with Shiner & Queens of the Stone age (not on a nat'l tour, but just an opening act).  They've released 4 full length CDs in a span of 6 years and an assortment of eps. They disbanded in 2004 after touring really hard on their own.

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

Band Name: Faunts

Genres:   Indie / Rock / Post Rock
                        For Fans Of: Radiohead, Sigur Ros, Explosions In The Sky
                        Label: Friendly Fire Recordings

Band Links: Myspace

Recommended Songs: "M4 pt. II", "Memories Of Places We've Never Been", "Instantly Loved"

The Takeaway: If you've beaten Mass Effect and bothered to let the credits roll, you've heard Faunts. Very good background/chill music, and their High Expectations/Low Results album is excellent.
                        Facebook / Twitter

Comment

Band Name: BIg Sir

Genres:  Other / Experimental / Rock
                          For Fans Of: jaco pastorius, the mars volta
                          Label: Gold Standard Laboratories ( formally co-owned by Omar Rodriguez-lopez)

Band Links:  MySpace http://www.myspace.com/thebigsir

Recommended Song(s): every song on their myspace

The Takeaway: best way i could put it..they're a really chill band. the bassist is also in the mars volta (JUAN ALDERETE) and the singer is just amazing..never heard a voice like hers. juans playing style is similar to jacos...very warm.

Comment

Originally posted by cribble

Hooray for British bands. On the other hand, boo for having to go to Brighton to actually get their CD.

Comment

Originally posted by GingerNinja
                              Originally posted by cribble

Hooray for British bands. On the other hand, boo for having to go to Brighton to actually get their CD.
                              I'll pick you up a copy if you'd like? Also have a browse in the 'post-rock bands' thread, as i posted up a bootleg from august 2007 in there...

And hurray for TAD music!  
                              (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Working...
                              X