Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

King's X - "Go Tell Somebody"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• King's X - "Go Tell Somebody"

Anyone into these guys?..I've been a fan for over 10 years..seen them live 10 times, etc.

They have a new album coming out in a few months called "Go Tell Somebody" that from the blogs and interviews sounds like it could be one of their best in a few years (I wasn't too into their last 2. Altho "Please Come Home Mr.Bulbous" and especially "Manic Moonlight" are both classics in my book).

Dug/Doug Pinnick also has an upcoming solo record that includes a number of guests. Among them, one of the guys from Incubus.

So are there others around here looking fwd to this record?

They also just released a double live album from the DOGMAN tour in '94 with an awesome setlist.

allmediareviewsblog

twitter

I'm not heavy into them but I dig em.  They are from here in Houston and there hometown shows always rock.  Saw them last year and they played for almost 3 hours.  After the main set they just took request and kept on playing!

Comment

One of my top 10 bands of all time, love them to bits, always have, always will- their live performances have never ever been a let down either- in fact the only let down I've ever had from them was last year when they announced a UK date in London, and then cancelled it....grrr.. the financials aside (Unrefundable travel and hotels), the disappointment was that my daughters musical education remains incomplete without seeing King's X live.

They have had problems matching the consistency of their earlier albums of late, but there has always been more on each album that I've liked than I've not.  I've often wondered why there has never been any live video/DVD releases-I've quite a bit of stuff off TV and audience shot, but I'd love a fully blown live DVD, with a 'now' show plus loads of extras (Their Woodstock appearance, for instance, there is pro shot footage of that around)

Not only a great band, but a very, very nice set of guys too -Doug especially.

Comment

Re: King's X - "Go Tell Somebody"

yes yes yes yesssssss!

KX - XV

pss: metal-db
        Last edited by SoundscapeMN; April 8, 2008, 07:43 AM.
        allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I recorded a show in NYC awhile back, they played for about 2 hours there, amazing set... They also busted out acoustic guitars for a brief set of that. Not sure if I'll be able to find that... need to weed thru my minidisc sea

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

yeah that tour was great..but most of the shows I've seen from them have been great. Someone on another forum mentioned they did a 15min version of VEGETABLE a few years ago..I can't claim to have seen that from memory; and I love that track and that album especially.

This new album is really good..I think it's their best since MOONLIGHT.."Go Tell Somebody" may be one of the best songs they've ever written. This may be the 1st challenger to Ours, for me for the #1 ranking for Album of the Year..not that I'd expect either to be #1 at the end of the year, but the more I hear this, the more I like it. A lot of classic sounding parts on here..some reminding me of DOGMAN and the SAM TAYLOR era..which is great to hear.
            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
              This may be the 1st challenger to Ours, for me for the #1 ranking for Album of the Year.
              Blasphemer!!!
              Last edited by Trathena; April 10, 2008, 12:36 AM. Reason: Learning font sizing

Comment

Originally posted by Trathena View Post
                Blasphemer!!!
                UH OH... SOMEONE DISCOVERED THE FONT SIZE FUNCTION.

Comment

Blasphemer!!!
                  hehe..twas gonna mention this over on ktb actually too..

fact: Dug Pinnick is an Ours fan..hehe.

why I've always meant to ask Jimmy about King's X..of course Dug also knew Kevin Gilbert and Jeff Buckley so..the Jimmy connection isn't really surprising.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by erikpemberton View Post
                    UH OH... SOMEONE DISCOVERED THE FONT SIZE FUNCTION.

I did! And it only took me two tries!

Two

tries.

Comment

I did! And it only took me two tries!

Two

tries.
                      I find it very useful for when you have something really important that everyone needs to read.

TRATHENA HAS ANAL WARTS.

Comment

Fuck, Erik! Back off!

Comment

King's X - XV

strange title based on actual *releases* which include 1 Best Of and 1 commercially release double live record, and 1 online-only live album to come up to the 15th in their career's discography

best album since 2002's experimental classic "Manic Moonlight"..short diddies like ZZ Top did back in the 70's..Samy Taylor also worked with ZZ Top actually

Pray - heavy lead bassline..religious themed lyrics, great groove. "Don't forget to pray for me"..love the 3rd verses harmonies

Blue - sounds like a OGRE TONES track..which in a way makes it one of the weaker songs on the album..still it's not bad. Bluesy Ballad "yes it is" a classic dug soulful scream..slower song, and being the 2nd cut kinda kills momentum from the good energy of "Pray"

Repeating Myself..awesome harmonies..Ty sounds great..great vocalm harmonies..the vocal echoes work really well

Rocket Ship..great energy..'Would-you-like-to-spend-the-night-in-my-new-rocket-ship?"..line repeats..reminds me in that way of "A Box"

Julie - great melodic song..Jerry on vox sounds really good..his voice reminds me a bit of Roger Manning Jr from jellyfish..love the "doo doo doo doo doo doo doo doooooo" after the guitar solo..great power-poppy..sorta mystical

Alright..1st single I guess..another high energy track..like 'pray"..I love how Dug gets up in the vocals as the song progress..catchy guitar bridge..echoing vocals work really well

Broke..big guitar sound.."na na nahhh"..preachy.."put your hand on the record player and say I'm going to get my freedom"

I Just Want To Live - Ty sounds different on this song. I like the harmony vocals in the 2nd half. ...."it's a little bit scary but it's wonderful"..almost makes sense about the struggles of life.

Move - great groove..lead bass..the chorus rules.."i'm gonna move into the light...and spit out the disease...."..'Force ethical standards"..kinda political statement

I Don't Know - Ty song..the ending makes this one worth it..the guitar and vocal harmonies are great the last minute or so..reminds me of early, psychedelic KX.

Stuck - "Love. is on. the line."..lot of tracks as this one goes on...maybe just multiple guitars..more vocal harmonies and dug with his classic soulful chants

Go Tell Somebody - win win win..this track kicks ass..the basslines and the vocal echoes are all heavy and catchy..'if you like what you hear, then go tell somebody..go tell someone"..awesome groove in the rhythm.."shout it from the rooftops"

Love and Rockets (Hells Screaming)..continues the groovey mystical vibe on some other tracks earlier..along with the doubled vocal chorus..the guitar solo is so much about goosebumps..almost demonic at times the mood and vocals..the "love and rockets" chorus almost sounds like Faith No More

No Lie - bluesy..the guitar solo almost sounds like Brian May..'something's gotta hold..got ahold of me"..this sounds like a Southern Blues song..or Texas since they are from there and it's mentioned in the song.

It's found it's way to the 2nd spot on my 2008 albums list and a 4.5-star rating on rym..altho that is mainly due to the fact I give it a

8.5/10

it's a very strong 4-star or a slight reach at 9/10 so 8.5 feels right, at this point. In all likelihood will make my top 10, but who knows.
                          Last edited by SoundscapeMN; April 29, 2008, 06:36 PM.
                          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Working...
                          X