Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

in glorious times...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• in glorious times...

the new sleepytime is awesome. definitely the best production they have ever had on an album.

im guessing that "in glorious times..." is the name of the album?

I absolutely adore sleepytime, and i feel bad because the only album i have heard anything off of is "Grand Opening and Closing" I purchased it after seeing a live show of them and dredg. They are a terrifying bunch.

Awesome creative band tho... i never know what to expect from them. But ill deffinitly check out this album... thanks for the info.
    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

strange band . . . also the new book of knots (band with a couple of sleepytime folks in it) is pretty interesting . . .
      Originally posted by kata rokkar
      Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

awesome guys... thanks. Totally interested in "interesting" music. lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways
          im guessing that "in glorious times..." is the name of the album?

I absolutely adore sleepytime, and i feel bad because the only album i have heard anything off of is "Grand Opening and Closing" I purchased it after seeing a live show of them and dredg. They are a terrifying bunch.

Awesome creative band tho... i never know what to expect from them. But ill deffinitly check out this album... thanks for the info.
          yea, that's the name of the new album. they have a wonderful album in between grand opening and this one. it's called of natural history. most likely most of the songs you heard them play when they toured with dredg were from that album. i still think it's funny that some people think they are horrifying. like people are really scared of them. that is very amusing.

Comment

i dunno dude... the lead singer looks like a serial killer. lol. Razor black teeth and a tremendously intense receding hair line. The violinist is gorgeous by the way.

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways
              i dunno dude... the lead singer looks like a serial killer. lol. Razor black teeth and a tremendously intense receding hair line. The violinist is gorgeous by the way.
              yea, he does look like that. and they do sound menacing sometimes. but just look at the smiles on their faces and the way they interact between songs. these people are not evil at all.

Comment

Sleeptytime was the best concert I have ever seen (when they were on a small headlining tour a couple years ago), which was incidentally at the shittiest venue I had ever been in.  I am giving the album a first listen through right now, but given how much I love Sleeptime I am already sold on it.

Comment

yeah... sleepytime is deffinitly the band that i like where everyone won't even give them a chance because of their name.

Comment

Amazing fucking album.  My favorite from them now.  Does anyone else love how much better the drummer is this time around?  And fuck, they've gotten even weirder and heavier and more varied...  there new album has, heavy, doom, industrial, black, and avant metal.  Not to mention some hints of grind, shoegazing, jazz, opera, and probably more...

I liked Of Natural History a lot, but some tracks were just plain filler: The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall we do without Us?  Not to mention the field recordings.  The drumming isn't as tight as In Glorious Times either.  

Really recommend this album.

Comment

Originally posted by SHITHISHIT
                      Amazing fucking album.  My favorite from them now.  Does anyone else love how much better the drummer is this time around?  And fuck, they've gotten even weirder and heavier and more varied...  there new album has, heavy, doom, industrial, black, and avant metal.  Not to mention some hints of grind, shoegazing, jazz, opera, and probably more...

I liked Of Natural History a lot, but some tracks were just plain filler: The 17-Year Cicada, What Shall we do without Us?  Not to mention the field recordings.  The drumming isn't as tight as In Glorious Times either.  

the drumming and everything else is better because of better production. even when they get crazy it comes out sounding clear. i like the album a lot. overall i would say it's not as heavy or crazy as their older stuff. carla is more of a presence and nils is a little less. carla has 3 or 4 songs, 1 with dan, and there are 2 or 3 instrumentals that feature carla's voice as well. so i think nils only has 4 songs on the album.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314

the drumming and everything else is better because of better production. even when they get crazy it comes out sounding clear. i like the album a lot. overall i would say it's not as heavy or crazy as their older stuff. carla is more of a presence and nils is a little less. carla has 3 or 4 songs, 1 with dan, and there are 2 or 3 instrumentals that feature carla's voice as well. so i think nils only has 4 songs on the album.
                        No, dude, I listened really fuckin hard and used the equalizer a lot on their previous releases, there is hardly any tom use compared to this, mostly all bass drum.  As far as craziness, I'd have to disagree again there, In Glorious Times is a lot heavier than Of Natural History, maybe just a little heavier than Grand Opening.  The heaviest moment of SGM before IGT would probably be the middle of Babydoctor, but they constantly pass that intensity on this, i.e. The Companions (last part), all of Helpless Corpses Enactment, end of Formicay, scattered on Ossuary, middle of Salt Crown, scattered on Widening Eye.

And the middle of Salt Crown makes me really want to punch something for some reason.   :shock:

Comment

No, dude, I listened really fuckin hard and used the equalizer a lot on their previous releases, there is hardly any tom use compared to this, mostly all bass drum.  As far as craziness, I'd have to disagree again there, In Glorious Times is a lot heavier than Of Natural History, maybe just a little heavier than Grand Opening.  The heaviest moment of SGM before IGT would probably be the middle of Babydoctor, but they constantly pass that intensity on this, i.e. The Companions (last part), all of Helpless Corpses Enactment, end of Formicay, scattered on Ossuary, middle of Salt Crown, scattered on Widening Eye.

And the middle of Salt Crown makes me really want to punch something for some reason.   :shock:
                          helpless corpses enactment is definitely the heaviest thing they have ever done. but other than that it's nto really that heavy.

Comment

helpless corpses enactment is definitely the heaviest thing they have ever done. but other than that it's nto really that heavy.
                            Well what do you think of as heavy?  I consider heavy based on instensity of the song.  The most intense SGM's ever gotten before IGT was the middle of Babydoctor, but that and some of FC was it for Of Natural History in terms of heaviness.  Most of the time, the music just sounded awkward and quirky.  But Grand Opening is also a lot heavier than Of Natural History, but again, that album still has a song that stays the same the whole way through, Sunflower.  I guess, though, it can be hard to hear first listens (if you're still in your first listens) considering how dense the album is... I'll give you times in the songs that I consider SGM's heaviest on IGT,

The Companions (7:00 - 8:00)
                            Helpless Corpses Enactment (all basically)
                            Formicary (3:45 - 5:30)
                            Angle of Repose (5:25 - 6:00)
                            Ossuary (2:20-4:49)
                            Salt Crown (3:15 - 5:35)
                            Widening Eye (3:25 - 5:14)

All of those either are on par with the heaviness of Babydoctor or heavier.  Not to mention, each song on IGT has heavy moments, when about 4 on Of Natural History didn't get change at all from the beginning, being slow (A Hymn, What Shall We Do Without Us, Cockroach, The 17 Year).

Comment

Saw them in Petaluma on Thursday night and they rocked so hard.  By far the best set I've ever seen them do, immensely entertaining and with all kinds of crazy antics between songs.  They even had a staged band argument mid-song which was hilarious.  Everything was just executed flawlessly.  Picked up the new disc, and I'm still working my way through it.  It is definitely heavier than their previous work.  I'm digging the fact that Carla sings more, she has an amazing voice, especially on Angle of Repose.  That scream halfway through gave me chills when they played it the other night.  And yeah, she's hot.

Comment

Working...
                              X