Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Cavil at Rest (now known as LOCAL NATIVES)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cavil at Rest (now known as LOCAL NATIVES)

Anyone know this CA band? Someone over on absolutepunk.net suggested them to K-Fly fans. I am really glad they did. They are not totally like K-Fly in that they are not as heavy and as complex. But they do have a lot of pop and groove elements and every song seems to have some kind of amazing segment or moment. They also remind me a bit if Facing NewYork and The Receiving End Of Sirens..but no screaming and also a bit bluesy or lighter I suppose. But still clever and catchy.

you can download 2 EPs and 3 or 4 Demos there and/or their purevolume.

Cavil at Rest's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.
    Last edited by SoundscapeMN; June 18, 2009, 03:34 PM.
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

I wouldn't exactly say Kaddisfly, but the singer sort of reminds me. Sort of that Minus the Bear sound going on there. All squeek, and bubble guitar sounds. I total dig and i'm onto those demos...
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Cavil_at_Rest-Orion_Way-2006-JUST

great album

Comment

I just saw them in St.Paul tonight. Really fun live band. Their new album won't be coming out this year, but probably sometime in 2008. I'm pretty excited to hear the new material. They played one piece tonight that was unreleased. The tour is just a short tour, altho one of the bands playing with them Chicago, "Or So It Goes" I really liked the stuff on their myspace. Kinda Post-Rock with a hint of groove.

Anyway, has anyone here ever caught them live? Hopefully they'll tour more extensively next year. Nice to finally have a hardcopy of ORION WAY too.
        allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

BUMP!

wow..the guys just posted 3 new *rough* demos on myspace and I'm listening to the 2nd one right now..HOLY SHIT!..while I dunno these are vastly different than the stuff on ORION WAY..these are fucking good!..esp for *rough demos* anyway.

They are gonna be recording their 1st full-length soon..altho the timing of when it's actually released is still uncertain since they are still without a record deal. But man, once they do..I am very intrigued by this! (biased a bit, I joined their Street Team actually :P)
          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Yeah I like these guys a lot. Very good music. The mustache bash looked like fun, the people's light assembly looks fun too. I wish there was a band like them here that threw fun parties at their shows.
            Originally posted by Gnomad
            Semen and anger... definitely dredg fans.
            Originally posted by noclevername
            stretch marks are a big ol cosmic thumbs up.

Comment

Re: Cavil at Rest (Kaddisfly fans)

they have mentioned how if they win this, they'd get $10,000 to help fund the recording of their debut album. Already ion the top 10 actually.

Get the latest music news, watch video clips from music shows, events and exclusive performances from your favorite artists, and discover new music on MTV.
              Last edited by SoundscapeMN; April 1, 2008, 01:23 AM.
              allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

can anyone (re)up their album(s)? i'm really interested in this group. thanks

Comment

Last edited by SoundscapeMN; April 1, 2008, 12:10 PM.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

so their new album could be out sooner..altho based on the "new album soon" liner, Mute Math and some other bands would have new records out any day now.

But they posted a teaser today and announced 1 other thing

they're now called "Local Natives."
                    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Re: Cavil at Rest (now known as LOCAL NATIVES)

a review I just wrote:

Local Natives

I saw them last night. These guys still are my little brilliant secret I suppose, but they totally killed live tonight. I'd guess at least a dozen maybe more like 20 or 30 new fans were made in Minnesota. Verrrry much in the vein of what Annuals do live, with many members of the band getting involved in drumming support/jamming. It adds A TON of energy. They played all Local Natives tunes except 1, "Sun Hands" which they just released on vinyl, but was originally a song they wrote/released when they were still known as "Cavil at Rest." It was an awesome closing piece that some of the members of Blind Pilot, the headliner (who are about to start another tour opening for The Decemberists..who ironically are playing Mpls on Saturday at Rock the Garden, but not with BP) joined them on the 400 Bar's small stage. They had like 12 people on stage dancing, and drumming away to it, it was highly memorable.

Vocal Harmonies are outstanding live. They even have added a girl to play violin, which I guess she will be on their debut album "Gorilla Manor" when it does get released. They are still vague about it, but it sounds like they will either release themselves at some point, or sign with a label..that decision could be soon, but no later than October. That may sound kind of meaningless to those who don't know them, but for me, I've been a big fan of them for like 2 1/2 years now, hoping, trying to wait as patiently as I can, knowing how incredible they are. Highly talented songwriters and a great chemistry exists, and when I continue to see the likes of Animal Collective and maybe moreso last year in Fleet Foxes and 2009's answer in Grizzly Bear, I am baffled on how these guys are not even close to a fraction of as well known. But their album must be released 1st of course, and that time ain't too far away. But in the mean time, they've become incredibly tight, killer live band that now this being their 1st official tour (the show in 2007 was a special deal given they have some friends from MN, and even at that, only like 5 people including myself saw them at Station 4 that night), they may find their way back to our town again later this year. Annuals, Fair to Midland, Ours, now Other Lives..Local Natives belong in that company I'd say after the show tonight.

They had their vinyl single of "Sun Hands" for sale and a 5-track EP, whic also includes that re-worked/re-arranged version of the Cavil at Rest song. It's a pretty nice ep, which inclues 2 Daytrotter tracks, and the Talking Heads cover "Warning Sign" along with 2 songs that'll be on their debut album.
                      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Working...
                      X