Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcasts

So, I might be the only one, but I love me a good Podcast. Currently, my favorite by far is ExtraLife Radio. Those guys are quite hilarious. However, it's not enough. So, if ANYONE listens to any Podcasts that they think are rather good, please let me know, cause I get tired of music every now and then.

So, part two of this is I'm currently working on getting a coherent podcast together with me and my friends. Two, actually. One focused on music and current releases, and it should be debuting soon, once I can find a mic that has decent quality. The other is a video game based Podcast that has a LONG way to go before it's ready to debut. I'll let you guys know when that comes out, cause if you thought I was a loser here, you'll be amazed how much worse I am in real-time.

Now, the last part of this is kind of a proposal. I want some feedback and probably a few people interested. I'm thinking about starting up a podcast based entirely on independment music. Most genres would be represented. Obviously rap(hip-hop is not the same thing) and MTV pop would not be involved. Man, Nelly and Shakira are bad enough, why promote more of that kind of crap?

So, anyone think a podcast like this could fly? Anyone want to take part? Any ideas? Any good Podcasts? Respond...

Podcasts

Love the idea.  I've been waiting for a good one.  The only one I found halfway decent is IndieFeed, and it pretty much sucks.

Comment

i could donate my bands EP as some independant music to be played.

Comment

Yeah, I would love that... that would be our main goal, to get music directly from artists. We'd probably have a battle of the bands contest going on where we'd use the winners music as the intro for a month and a feature on the website as well. There's just a lot of independment music out there that no one hears about, and I want to do something for these guys, cause a lot of bands deserve the attention.

Comment

I was on youtube a few weeks back checking out some of the videoblogs and thought about if I would ever do something like that. I probably wouldn't, but I could see myself doing a Podcast.

i do currently d/l Podcasts about music from the local Indie Rock MPR station "The Current"

and Sound Opinions "The World's only Rock And Roll Talk Show" as they say, based out of Chicago.

Both of them I can take or leave..they once on The Current discussed ProgRock which intrigued me, but also did not surprise me how unaware of what is and what ProgRock is around today. I haven't ever even heard either show ever mention Dredg, but I haven't been listening to either of them that long.

So I was thinking of doing my own..I'm sure thousands of people do them..but I would mean to play music on the show and talk about music among other things..much like I used to do when I had a show on Community Radio on KFAI.

I emailed a guy about trying to setup a podcast to be listed in a site's directory and he stressed about the issues with playing music..copyrighted. I told him I used to do Community radio, and didn't want to bother with the online networks really.

he wrote me back about music on Podcasts:

There are huge, ugly issues regarding music on podcasts....

They make the issue for Internet Radio and the RIAA look tame.

However, you can use music from the Podsafe Music network:

http://music.podshow.com...

If you really want to put up bands onto your podcast and share it with your friends, well then that you can do.  However, to the RIAA jerks, you are as guilty as a guy who sends mp3s of the latest top 40 CD on Gnutella or some other file sharing system.  I know it sucks, and believe me--there are many in the podcasting world trying to get the recording industry to change their mind, but it is an uphill battle.

Google is powerful.  If it gets ahold of your feed, and your notes have something like "Chemical Brothers" or "Madona" or "Def Leopard"  or whatever you are going to play, then people will find it.  We have some feeds out of Europe (that tell the RIAA to stuff it) that merely mention some band and wham--there traffic goes through the roof (as does the people watching for them.

You can make your own podcast.  Create an XML that you share only with your friends, but be careful not to get it "in the wild" because then the recording industry will take notice.  They even stuffed some podcasters who were just playing MASHUPs of songs--not even the real thing.
          which the above may not be too risky..esp if you were to upload it to a ysi and obviously not word of any music in text or titles. But it is rather annoying.

Anyway man, I'd check out your podcast. If I ever do one, I would let people know here as well.

Kyle
          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

how should i give you my EP? the easiest thing is to just upload the single for you to play.
            or should i send all 4 songs?

Comment

Well, let's hold off on it for a while, because there's a bunch of things I need to do first to get the ball rolling. I have another person interested in setting one up, but at the moment, he doesn't have much free time. So I'm looking into finding another co-host for the show. I need to layout a program and schedule as well, as I like to be fully prepared and all that... I'm thinking in about a month, I'll have a more fleshed out idea of how I'll handle it and what I'll want as far as bands sending me their music.

What I do know at this point is that as long as I have permission from band and label(which with independent bands and labels is SO much easier to handle) I'll gladly play anything anyone sends me.

Comment

cool, that works out since our EP wont be out of the studio for another 2 weeks.

Comment

Kind of in a compltely different direction: my favorite video podcast is the french maids doing stuff podcast, because who doesn't like to see good looking girls dressed as french maids?

Comment

Well I'm pretty sure that there are a lot of people writing dredg covers right now who would love it if you played them after they're done. Also there are tons of people on here that make music thats pretty damn good, you should ask all them for links and shit because most of it is stuff no one would ever hear.

Cool idea too Gnomad.

Added after 2 hours 24 minutes:

Hell I bet there could be solely a TraversingBoard podcast that just plays music by people here, and talk about shit we talk about here.
                    His names BentTwig... He's not right... in the head.

<-----that's me and the fam

Comment

...Hello there old thread...

Well, I never really got into the podcast thing till recently. I'm a pretty big "tech geek" if you will. I really enjoy technology all that jazz... Used to be a BIG fan of The Screen Savers back in the day before G4 came along and destroyed Tech TV...

I've recently been watching this podcast Diggnation. It's hosted by Kevin Rose and Alex Albrecht, both former hosts on The Screen Savers or Attack of the Show or whatever it became...

...it's pretty damn funny. They just sit around with their laptops drinking beer and going over tech\social\anything interesting news. I'd highly recommend adding this one to your "podcast" list if you've got one going...

Added after 1 minutes:

...and as far as having a Traversing Podcast, I think that'd be a pretty tight move. Whenever we get that new site\board up and going it could really be a good way to promote the community and good music...

I mean, I already demolish beers and listen to music on my laptop already. Why not get it a bit more organized and make something useful out of it...
                      Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                      I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

Here's the list of podcasts I'm subscribed to:
                        Ctrl+Alt+Chicken (geek cooking show from Alex of Diggnation)
                        Diggnation (geeks + beer + commentary, often hilarious)
                        Hope Is Emo (emo mockery done right)
                        TEDTalks (from the TED conference... always interesting & thought-provokingg)
                        The Onion Radio News (short dose of humor to start the day)
                        The Show With Ze Frank (hilarious + thought provoking & sadly... over now)
                        The Broken (underground hacker stuff from Kevin of Diggnation)

As far as starting up a podcast goes, a while back when podcasting first caught on (2004-2005) I was looking into starting up a Bay Area local music podcast... between my connections with people in the scene and the fact that there are a lot of talented bands from here, I thought it would work well. Music, interviews, discussion. Bands, photographers, promoters, etc. But it was hard to coordinate participation and people didn't really see it as a viable platform.

Bands like Dredg, Strata and Trapt have all come out of this area (we shall not speak of Smash Mouth) and there are plenty more like them - creative, professional and diverse. Some of my favorites right now are Trip Device and Left Of Christ, as well as Rise Of The Revolution. I have friends in all those bands, so I'm a bit biased, but at the same time there are plenty of friends in shitty bands that I will not speak of.

Anyway, I always thought it would be a cool idea to do something like this and maybe even use it as a platform for exclusive stuff - for example, premiering "Cocaine" from Strata or something along those lines - in order to drive more traffic to it. Unfortunately there are issues with labels and also unmotivated bands... they see the "less effort, more return" rule a lot of the time - which leads them to play the shows where they'll see the biggest crowds and spend their time marketing in the most effective places - like MySpace or PureVolume - so it was hard to go anywhere with the idea. Nowadays it's probably seen as a more viable option, but it would be nice if Apple (and others) promoted the concept a bit more rather than relegating it to a link in the sidebar that nobody ever bothers to explore.

Here is your obligatory WTF moment for an otherwise thoughtful and mature Pemberton post:

Comment

Me Chinese
                          Me Play Joke
                          Me Go Pee Pee
                          In Your...
                          ...Dr. Pepper?
                          Originally posted by Ars Sycro
                          I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

If you wanna get it started, I'd be willing to edit it and pay for the web space needed it... believe me, I got that kind of time. Eventually, I hope to bring back my other podcast, especially once I finish moving and get my rig up and all that shit.

But yeah, if anyone is seriously interested, I can get it set up and going. Wouldn't take more than a weekend to get it rolling. Of course, we'd want to take a few weeks to flesh it out and stuff... but yeah, wouldn't be hard to do.

Comment

I listen to Carol Miller's "Getting The Led Out" podcasts.  I love it.

I also listen to the Counterfeit Disaster podcast.  They're 5 guys (mid 20's to early 30's) in one band with really different musical tastes.  An example of what they'd play in one podcast: Tool - The Pot, The Stickmen - Legend of the Stickmen, Brobot Takeover - Stuck in a brostorm, Keane - She Has No Time - Hopes and Fears, The Nights Last - The Marching Parade, Nada Surf - Killian's Red.  It's good stuff.

Publishing Podcasts for Free since 2005. Record, Publish, Distribute, and Monetize Your Podcast on Desktop or Any Mobile Device. Share Your Voice with the World.
                              spin round carousel when your horse isnt screwed in
                              - myspace | last.fm | myfunk -

Comment

Working...
                              X