Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The Record You Need To Hear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Record You Need To Hear

Alright guys. Here's the deal.

Years like this tend to be rough ones in the life of your average dredg fan, since we know that we won't be getting any real new material from the band. Of course, this is offset from the ability to enjoy other new releases, such as Tool, The Mars Volta, TSOAF (yeah right), and others. I assumed Tool would deliver the best album of the year, and for a month or so now it's held rather steady, but a new offering from another band has done something completely unexpected.

Last Thursday night, a member from this board and a good friend of mine (dredgfan001, Tucker) gave me a call and asked if he and the guys from Kaddisfly and Let Go could crash at my place between shows. Although the girlfriend and I had a trip in the morning and are expecting a child and such, we weren't going to refuse them a free place to crash, as all musicians rely on the support of their fans to succeed. On top of that, their last record ("Buy Our Intention, We'll Buy You a Unicorn") was a fun record last year that was, in the very least, a good record altogether, although it wasn't really that amazing to me and I had some complaints with parts of it.

The guys didn't get in until around 4:30 in the morning, but before we all crashed they played a song for me as an immediate "thank you" for the free lodging. They called it "PH" and asked me to check it out.

And I was fucking amazed.

***SPOILERS FROM HERE ON***

So they played another for me, and then another. That night, I heard three songs, and was completely floored. The next morning, before leaving Tucker played a small, minute long interlude that also fucking blew me away. Nicole and I left and went to visit family, but the next full day I had songs stuck on my head that I could only vaguely remember from my single listen. The next time, we met up with the band to let them stay at our place one more night, I looked at them and told them that I had to hear at least one song one more time. After some deliberation, the entire band agreed to get me really stoned and play the entire record for me.

Although the record went to be mastered today, the band told me that Nicole and I were the first people outside of the band's immediate circle to hear the cd. I listened to the entire record, which felt epic and about an hour or so long, from the first seconds with the opening sound of a crackling fire to the final seconds of the (literally) rapidly approaching third installment.

I'm saying this now, even though I haven't heard other records, because I think the cd deserves the hype. Here's the truth:

Kaddisfly has made what may ultimately shape up to be the most amazing release of the year. At once both dark and uplifting, epic and aggressive, downright angry and heavy, the cd is unlike anything the band has done in the past. This is the record they were meant to make, and this is the record that will earn them the trust of thousands of fans.

I want you all to know about this cd because it is on the scale of "El Cielo." My former complaints of Kaddisfly included undercontrolled vocals with spastic words, a snare that sounded like popcorn and a very cheaply produced indie album.

But those problems are gone, and what has replaced them is very slow, deliberate words, and TRULY soaring melodies (as cliche as the term has become, these vocals really do rise and fall swiftly, but with a newfound precision and depth). The guitars sound the angriest and largest I have ever heard. The song they were referring to as "PH" was actually called "Snowflake," and its FUCKING AMAZING. Including an aggressive guitar mocking and taunting a burlesqe piano line and and chugging rhythm pulsing through what can only be described as a tragic melody, the song has includes everything that makes this new album truly a milestone. The words are sincere, the vocals are approachable and tasteful, and the band is at a point in their development where it seems like they are simply overflowing with ideas.

Other highlights of the album that I remember are the following:

- A very quiet beginning that built up to "Campfire"
    - LOTS of amazing guitars, all of which were VERY loud and VERY angry.
    - One section of music that sounded almost like Glassjaw or System of a Down with a frantic drum and bass line with odd guitars and frantic, shouting vocals.
    - Some lyrics:
    "There's a drought inside the human mind" (or heart or soul, don't remember)
    "Wind can either help a sail or tear it apart"
    "You were born today to set sail the prairie"
    "We live in four, not three."
    "We had each other."
    - And acoustic interlude that sounded almost western AND chinese, with a female operatic vocal chanting in the distance and singing a melody from a previous song

I also saw the artwork in the making, which can only be described as serene and entrancing.

My ultimate point: This album is essentially the musical equivalent of being stranded on an island in the middle of nowhere and witnessing all the heights and depths of the human experience from a distance. The cd is not as downright fun and happy as the "Buy Our Intention." It is instead very haunting, very passionate, and very much a statement. It will challenge the standards of everyone's musical tastes because you will not believe what you're hearing and you won't believe how amazing it is. I laughed out loud, gasped, and stared at the floor countless times, and had the privelege of seeing the band pull the songs off live flawlessly (yes, they are legitmately talented... it shows live). The record is slated for a September release, although it will doubtlessly leak, but I URGE all of you to purchase it. Until then, look forward to it. I GUARANTEE that EVERYONE will love this record. It has propelled the band to a status in my mind that I consider rare, and has put Kaddisfly equal to bands like dredg and Tool in my heart.

Until then, try and check out the band at a show and meet them. They're hungry for open ears, and you all would make the perfect new audience.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

I can't wait, I love this band. Their lyrics are amazing as well. Did anybody get Campfire the other day? I know somebody must have it, but it was taken down.

You have really excited me with this topic. Its probably why my response sucks, I'm all giddy now.
    DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

Yeah, ok... I recently fell in love with Kaddisfly within the past few months. For some reason I've never listened to "Buy Our Intention..." 'till a few months ago... but when I did I was completely pissed off that I never got into them before that...

After reading that entire thing that Three posted, I can't even explain to you how bad I want to hear the new stuff. Mainly because I thought the last album was amazing but mostly due to the fact that I thought the best part of the last album was easily the last half that included "Set Sail The Prairie" which the new album is created after, according to the "concept" of time and so forth... (but maybe I'm wrong about that)

Either way. I hope that Three is correct about this because I've been saying since the begining of this year, that this is going to be the one of the greatest years for music in the past 20 years just because of all the big releases this year (such as Tool, RHCP, Deftones, Muse, Thom York, Radiohead, Incubus all in the same year). And to have a band that's NOT a big name show up and blow all the big names away would be truely a monumental task.

P.S... I'm drunk right now so this might not make perfect sense, but I'll go through this in the morning and revise my stupidity...
      Originally posted by Ars Sycro
      I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

Yeah, I really wanna hear the new album now. I'm a huge fan of Buy Our Intention, and Did You Know People Can Fly? had some good moments on it... so I figure this next album, if the progession is to continue, will truly be something special.

Comment

I don't even like Kaddisfly and you've got me interested.

Comment

i can't wait till they swing through massachusetts on the 30th.
            Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
            you're pretty narcissistic
            enjoy that, nobody else does.
            Originally posted by Madklikor
            You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

re: The Record You Need To Hear

To answer some questions:

Yes, the album continues along the same thematic lines as the previous record. There are newer concepts with this one, however. Whereas the last album was more related to human progression in relation to time, this is much more related to space and location. Each song is representative of a certain area. You just sort of have to see the big picture in order to fully grasp it, but you will once the band releases it. The album starts out almost womb-like and sort of comes full circle. And the ending gives you chills.

Another thing: the last song on the album sounds like Mutemath, but 100 million times better. Picture a driving drum beat with swirling guitars drowning in effects and coming to a cresendo with electronic backbeats and a haunting melody. Sort of like the last track on dayonesymphony's latest record.

The last two records were too upbeat for me. I think thats what really turned me off about them. They were too much of a "Hey! Check us out on myspace!" sort of vibe. But this time it's completely different. They have a message that they want to be heard, and as I said before, this is the record they were meant to make.

Super God.
              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

So do they have a release date set yet, if not when could we expect one?

I'm very excited to hear this album. I just hope that I'm not setting my expectations too high for it. I'd hate to ruin my first listen because I set the bar to high...

Comment

re: The Record You Need To Hear

They are hoping for a September release, but the record just got mastered yesterday, and I imagine promos will go out over the next few months. I'm doing everything I can to build up a lot of hype for it just because I saw dredg struggle for too long with "El Cielo." The sooner these guys get a large audience, the sooner we'll get longer, better shows. It gives them a lot more freedom.

And there is no way to really anticipate what you will hear with this record. When you listen, you will love it.

Super God.

Comment

Thanks for all the info man. And I'm definitely going to help hype this album as it's release date gets closer. Do they have any sort of street team or any way of getting advanced stuff to help them get stuff to the street yet?

Comment

We are working on that now. I talked a long time with the band and we are trying to organize some sort of tangible community.

Super God.

Comment

that's be something i'd want to be a part of too
                        Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                        you're pretty narcissistic
                        enjoy that, nobody else does.
                        Originally posted by Madklikor
                        You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Of course. Everyone here will be an honorary member in the very least. :-)

Super God.

Comment

Honorary Member?!?! YES!!! Me mum is going to be so proud...

Comment

And to think I was pimping Buy Our Intention... to my mate only a few days ago :mrgreen:
                              Street teams are so cool, free goodies with which to share the wealth to other (unsuspecting) future fans!

Comment

Working...
                              X