Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Tool - 10,000 Days (opinions)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haha....glad I'm a point of reference here.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad
      Ok, it's not that bad, but still... TOOL had a good run with Aenima and Lateralus. 10,000 Days is probably their last album, and they're not really going out with a bang. They're quietly walking off stage. Most are disappointed, and some are pissed. Can you fault them? This is the same backlash that happened with CWA. It's going to happen... people aren't going to find everything a band does perfect. So why bitch back when others are just bitching out loud to no one specific?
      Exactly. Although what I find interesting in that comparison is the fact that CWA clearly sounds very different to dredg's previous albums, whereas 10,000 days seems to me to be exactly the same as Tool was before...regardless of which album in the past, it still harks back alot to their previous works. I personally like both albums, although I'm not listening to 10,000 days that much, so it hasn't really grabbed me in any way. However, like you said... this distinction suggests to me that Tool is pretty much finished, whereas dredg will (I hope) still continue to progress musically. (having said that, I would be annoyed if they didn't... they've got the time the members of Tool are beginning to lack)

I'll spare you all my track-by-track analysis...mostly because I haven't quite decided what I like/don't like about each track yet

Comment

re: Tool - 10,000 Days (opinions)

i've seen this posted like 3 times so far...

"this album could still be one of the better albums of the year..." something along those lines. if this is the case this will be the worst year for music since i've been listening. i'm sorry, but some silly magazine like revolver might have this in their top 10. but if you're accounting for all genres..there's no fuckin' way this will be a top notch album...let alone the Milennium! LOLOL. that's crazy. but then again there's those things called opinions.

oh well sorry if i sounded angry just had to comment on that.

Comment

I read somewhere that justin said they're going to make at least 1 more album,
          so I still have hope as to some new Tool coming out.

Comment

I just think that too many of you are pecimists who only look at the bad things in this album when there truly are many really great things. Take the album for what it is and realize that humans wrote it, not Gods. Like I said, look at it for what it is, not what it isn't, and then i think you will appreciate this album more. Thus my comments. I'm not saying that your opinions are wrong, I'm just trying to point out a way for you to enjoy it more, because if you ignore there other albums this is a very original album that only a band like tool could write (and with the thousands of bands out there this is a huge feat that only great bands like tool could do), whereas almost every other band would've just tried to copy their biggest c.d. (lateralus) to make as much money as possible. HOnestly I don't think there is a possible way that tool could still have the tool sound and still raise the bar even higher than lateralus or 10000 days even, and release an original well written album, without changing their sound completely. I think if you thought that then you should be dissapointed, because there's really only so much you can do with a certain style or sound that only belongs to one band. If they decide to release another album I hope they would change their sound up a lot, or people will be even more dissapointed because there really isn't much that a human could do to retain the tool style we know and be different, so those of you saying this is too similar to their old stuff, then their next album would be even more so.

Thus why dredg is the best band ever, because nothing will ever sound like the last album, and they'll all be original in some sense, and if their next album isn't going to be as groundbreaking as their previous releases then I'm not going to come to this board for a while, because there will be too many people bashing the album because it isn't the greatest thing ever, and I wouldn't be able to put up with it all.

Added after 7 minutes:

And if dredg does release another amzing perfect/almost perfect album that is completely original and amazing then I would seriosly think they were not human, because no one ever has done that. I would then proceed to try to figure out what planet they were born on so I could go there and study music. Seriously In my mind any band that can release only one groundbreaking album that is completely on its own level and is so original is just one of the best bands ever that every member was meant to be a part of and couldn't happen any other way. dredg and tool both have 2 (and 1/2 for me), and we should appreciate that, since there is less than 10 bands that I could say have done that. I think we forget that sometimes, and I think that all you that hate the album have forgotten that

Added after 1 minutes:

shit less than 5 bands have done that in my mind
            His names BentTwig... He's not right... in the head.

<-----that's me and the fam

Comment

Originally posted by BentTwig
              shit less than 5 bands have done that in my mind
              Here are the five bands he is talking about:

Poison
              Def Leppard
              Whitney Houston
              Sonny and Cher
              Vanilla Ice
              sigpic
              We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
              happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

exactly, but not def lepard. They suck, the other band is Millie Vinillie

Comment

I hear what you're saying, but I think you misjudge the guy...

Comment

tool has always thrown in filler, and their songs have always been too long. aenima was by far their most unique album, and the past two albums have just shown them stuck in the mud. i have to blame adam jones for this, he basically has turned the band over to the rhythm section. at least on lateralus they tried. 10,000 days is a low point for tool in my opinion.
                    Originally posted by vsd
                    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

All I know is that this is the only album I've been able to listen to all the way through multiple times in a week. I've listened to this from start to finish at least 10 times. I could never do that with the other tool albums since they were such a hard listen. ANd for that I give the album a lot of credit.

Added after 8 minutes:

Ok I thought this dude who reviewed the album at sputnikmusic.com did a great job saying this, which is exactly how I felt and meant to say.

"So 10,000 Days is a Tool album. That's all there is to it. It conforms to exactly the same highs (great musicianship, unique songwriting) and lows (useless filler, over-ambitious conceits) as every other Tool album. As usual, the longer songs have their bad moments and good moments, but overall, are pretty good considering. The only difference is that, here, the strike rate of good songs to bad ones is moving in the wrong direction (not by much, mind), and most of the good stuff is bunched at the start of the album. Is it inferior to Lateralus and Aenima? Yes, clearly. But so are a lot of things. So what if Tool have done better? There's still nobody out there who sounds quite like them, and a good record is a good record no matter who made it.

The reaction to it in some quarters, then, is probably more symptomatic of Tool as a concept rather than 10,000 Days as an album. The problem with being a band that survives on intrigue, mystique, and mystery is that it's pretty much impossible to keep that up for long as a mainstream concern without either alienating or annoying a large body of people. And don't forget - Tool have been around for 15 years now, and for the last 10 years of that, they've been at the forefront of American metal. Perhaps it's understandable that so many people now are anti-Tool. What once came across as stand-offish cool has now come to be viewed as arrogance by a number of people. Tool aren't the first act to face that, of course - just look at how many people ended up hating Morrissey and Jim Morrison.

At least we can say that, if this is the case, then Tool are one step ahead - 10,000 Days IS a noticeably more personal and direct record than any previous Tool outing, and there's far more for the teeth to sink into for people who are more interested in feeling their music rather than thinking about it. Maybe we should see this as a transitional album, then. For now, this album is good enough. Their next step, however, should be very interesting."

Comment

I wouldn't call that a review.
                        sigpic
                        We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.

Comment

Yeah, a lot of hardcore Tool fans are coming out and acting like "Oh, it's just another Tool album, no big deal, we all think too much of them."

I agree, a good album is a good album, but WHO made it does effect the outcome as well... being Tool, yeah, it makes a difference.

Comment

I like 10kdays cuz it has the attitude of aenima. I've grown to love lateralus, but it's way too serious. tool seem to have a cult-like following that makes their fans like believers (kinda like M.Manson-followers).

I would also like to say I love "rosetta stoned" and it is easily one of their best songs. I really love the part where he says "...with somniferous almond eyes, i don't even know what that means, cuz this shit never happens to me". I think this song grounds the album, so they aren't in the clouds all the time. It's also fun. I know how Tool fans don't like fun... it's all that "i'm deep and dark" crap that is so ridiculous.
                            it was so real, like i woke up in wonderland....

Comment

Deep and Dark, hahaha Two of my friends are some of the hugest tool fans I have ever met. Both would buy maynard's ball sweat if he was selling it. One of them is a huge drunk who gets obnoxiously shitfaced and pisses himself and he plays Worlds of Warcraft religiously when he isn't drinking. The other friend likes to take pictures of his penis with his camera phone and show them to everyone he meets, including another friend's pastor father. Dark and deep....try lame and disturbed. I need new friends.
                              sigpic

Comment

I have to agree... I know no Tool fans that are deep and dark...

Comment

Working...
                                X