Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Interview 02/2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview 02/2006

An interview with Drew on Crazwire.de (thx for the link on Myspace, Sandra!)

This is a short excerpt of it. I translated it into English.

Crazewire: Was wünschst du dir für die nächsten Jahre?

Roulette: Ich hoffe, wir machen einfach weiter mit dem, was wir jetzt tun. Reisen und unsere Musik spielen. Und hoffentlich werden wir erfolgreicher. Falls nicht, bin ich mir nicht sicher, ob wir weitermachen können. Denn an einem gewissen Punkt, wird dieses Musikmachen zur Karriere, und wenn man auf diesem Weg seine Familie nicht ernähren kann, sollte man einen anderen einschlagen, etwas anderes tun. Das ist zumindest meine Meinung, aber ich denke, meine Freunde teilen sie.

Crazewire: What are your wishes for the next years?

Roulette: I hope we`ll go on with the things we`re doing now. Traveling and making music. And I hope we`ll become more successful. If not I`m not sure whether we`ll be able to go on. At a certain moment making music becomes a career and if you can`t feed your family this way you should pursue another, do something different. That`s at least my opinion but I think my friends are sharing it.

Added after 1 minutes:

Crazewire.de
    Sorry :roll:
    And I am carrying baggage containing years of the memories of the people who slowly disappeared

That might help explain CWOA. Hopefully the music won't suffer as a result of them wanting new fans.
    His names BentTwig... He's not right... in the head.

<-----that's me and the fam

Comment

Thanks for the excerpt. Any idea when this interview took place?
      - -- --- ----

Comment

The page says it was on 02/05/2006. But it also says "before the show in Bochum". This show took place on 12/1/2005.
        And I am carrying baggage containing years of the memories of the people who slowly disappeared

Comment

Man what he says really makes me nervous and sad. I don't think there is any positive in that. Its such bullshit that crappy artists get all the attention of people. If dredg broke up, that would be one of the worst things to happen in creative music ever. And if they try to gain too many fans that would be bad too, since their music would most likely suffer.

Comment

It sounds a bit disturbing. But I`m sure, no I`m CONVINCED they won`t have to quit. Since I`ve known dredg (for a year now) I told so many people -also on music related internet sites.. e.g. Audioscrobbler- about the band and their music. The reaction of about 90% of the people was: "Wow, great, amazing, never heard stuff like this... thanks for recommending..."
            So let`s go out and spread it all over the world
            Maybe that`s the best way to support them.

Comment

re: Interview 02/2006

Hi Matroshka & all

First of all, I must apologize for not posting for such a long time. I had some personal issues going on and such... better don't ask.

So, I also was puzzled about the date :shock: and yeah, curious as I am, I immediately contacted the guys from crazewire, and they told me that the interview was taken on the occasion of their concert in Bochum last year; Feb 5 was just the date they added the interview to the website.

Drew's words made me quite depressed, too. If Matroshka did not post this, I would have started this thread... I mean, what he sais is just reasonable... they need to live from their music/make their living with it, and if they cannot 'feed their families', as he sais, well, then probably this would be the way to go (before they lose too much money, I mean). :cry:

Another issue that I am thinking of is: they are talking about their next album being more instrumental. As much as I (and certainly you guys, too) would welcome such an album, I wonder if it is a good decision in terms of getting new fans/listeners and keeping the old ones - speaking of making their living with their music again.

Please don't get me wrong, I am NOT saying that they should base their decisions on commercial aspects, NO WAY (they are not this kind of musicians/personalities anyway - whatever they do, they are always authentic, and surely this is one of the things I admire most)!

Please understand that I am just worried when I look into the future. I am only a stupid pessimist sometimes :cry: I feel very sorry for this. At the moment, I just can't overcome my sadness. Lack of serotonin that is...

Whatever their decision for their future will be, I wish that they make the right one, the one that makes them happy on the long run, even if this means valediction from their career as musicians/as dredg.

A rather confused Sandra

P.S.: But hey, I also read something very beautiful today, sth a dredg fan posted here: http://www.songmeanings.net/lyric.php?lid=46444 (search for iNclet's entry) I already dropped him an email to tell him that I feel the same, let's see what he replies (IF he replies)

Comment

it seems something like this comes up every year or so (since i found out about them in 2003 at least)

it's not really a promise or anything, just a fact of life....

just keep supporting the band and turn new people onto them...if that keeps happening and they can sell out their concerts / sell cds then they'll keep going...if not, then they won't.....

it's not specific to just dredg...it's how all upcoming bands / "underground" bands live...if they aren't successful, then they don't do it anymore....

just gotta try n' get the people you turn onto dredg to go out and buy their cd. don't just burn them a copy...cause though that gives the band more fans, it doesn't solidify their success rate
                (in the eyes of the music industry, and who won't pay them more if those albums aren't sold....)

edit:

not that a majority of you don't already realize this....but seemed like it needed to be said anyway...
                Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                you're pretty narcissistic
                enjoy that, nobody else does.
                Originally posted by Madklikor
                You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

[quote="evasivetear"]just gotta try n' get the people you turn onto dredg to go out and buy their cd. don't just burn them a copy...cause though that gives the band more fans, it doesn't solidify their success rate
                  (in the eyes of the music industry, and who won't pay them more if those albums aren't sold....)[quote]

I agree with you, e.t.
                  That`s what I`ve been doing since the day I fell in love with their music: I never burned a whole album for my friends... only 3-4 tracks of each. And when they liked it I said: I`m glad you like it. So go and get you your own cd!
                  I took some friends to the live show Ì saw last year. They didn`t know dredg before, but after they loved them, too.
                  I`m recommending them on last.fm and on Myspace. And I`m getting very, very positive reactions.
                  Only bits and bobs compared to all the good stuff they`re giving to their fans... but the best thing to do to support them.

Comment

then there ya go...as long as we're all doing that, then there shouldn't be a problem
                    Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                    you're pretty narcissistic
                    enjoy that, nobody else does.
                    Originally posted by Madklikor
                    You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

E.T is right in saying that this is nothing new.. They said this before CWOA too

Comment

ok, thank you... I probably should just calm down. I am going through some difficult times right now, so I may be some kind of oversensitive and thus over-reacted :-/. It is just that this band means so much to me, as with their music, they 'opened a new world' for me....

Comment

The more I think about it too, the more i think that they are doing well and aren't too worried about making new fans. The whole instrumental album thing (I've even read no guitars), not putting out another single for CWOA, only stopping at a few cities on the next tour not a lot, starting another album so fast. All that speaks, hey we're doing fine and will be fine.

But ya I know some of my friends who let their friends burn copies of every dredg album, and I got really pissed at them since they aren't supporting the band. Luckily some of the kids didn't like having pauses inbetween songs and not having an actual copy so they bought them anyways. But their all going to Chicago on the 18th, so its not all a loss.

Comment

Working...
                          X