Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Penguins in the Desert?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Penguins in the Desert?

Just wondering does anyone have any idea on as to what the whole "penguins in the desert" thing is about. It seems at first to mean that we all wander around like we're out of place and diverse, but then it's followed up by "why can't we live like tribes" which would also seem to signify that we should seperate ourselves into different groups.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    Semen and anger... definitely dredg fans.
    Originally posted by noclevername
    stretch marks are a big ol cosmic thumbs up.

re: Penguins in the Desert?

ive always looked at it as yes..we are lost like a penguin in a desert. and living like tribes..i think tribes were about the unity of the people. and when i think tribe i think peopel in touch with nature and the basics of a happy life not the bs of what culture and media have deemed to be key to a happy life. so in the end i think it means we live lost and out of order when we need to simply work together and live and be happy with the basics of life.

Comment

Penguins living in the Desert = Lost. Searching. Dying painfully.

Living like Tribes = Togetherness. Oneness. Dying happily, with loved ones by our side.
      http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

100 points, sins...

I think that`s exactly the tenor of it.
        And I am carrying baggage containing years of the memories of the people who slowly disappeared

Comment

8)
          http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

I've been looking at that verse as a statement of conservationism and living more naturally.

A penguin in the desert is a creature out of its element. We as humans live in environments we weren't intended to (Las Vegas being a prime example). The material and energy it takes to live there can be considered wasteful. "Living like tribes" would be to return to live off the land as it was given to us. A more natural and less wasteful existance.

I also see this theme in other lines like "All you need is a modest house in a modest neighborhood". We are so bent on excess and wastefulness in this country, I think this is a statement against this.

Comment

what sweet lyrics.

Comment

A group of penguins is called a "tribe" so to me the lyrics are saying that instead of living such solitary, independent lives, all people should learn to work together.
                "I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life." - Billy Corgan

http://www.myspace.com/medellia77

Comment

i thought a group of penguins was called a colony...not sure though...

Added after 4 minutes:

upon searching the dredg.com news:

here's a fun little game

can anyone email us the plural term for a group of pengiuns. example, "a herd of cattle." winner gets a free dvd. i think engles already knows the answer but we'll let you win this one. alright, on your marks, get set, go get em charlie....

[posted 5/7/2003 U.S.A.]
                  we have a winner...

we have a winner..the term we were looking for was a colony...thank you all for spending your time during this time trying to please the minds and ears of this colony..........cheers.
                  here is space for growth..
                  grow.

[posted 5/8/2003 U.S.A.]

Comment

i thought a group of penguins was called a colony...not sure though...
                    You are correct...I've seen the term "tribe of penguins" however that is inaccurate. Upon further investigation, groups of penguins are classified as a colony, rookery, or parcel.
                    "I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life." - Billy Corgan

http://www.myspace.com/medellia77

Comment

it's someone with 1000+ posts . . .
                      Originally posted by kata rokkar
                      Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

Working...
                      X