Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

interviews with gavin...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interviews with gavin...

great interview here. one of the best i've read in a while. http://www.silentuproar.com/interviews/111/dredg/

another short one here from sxsw. http://popwreckoning.com/tag/gavin-hayes/

SU: Is there some stuff that you did or that you recorded that didn't make the album?

Gavin: Yes, lots.

SU: From watching those clips, I felt like there was.

Gavin: We honestly had a lot more material than we have ever had for a record. That's part of the reason why there was a lot of time as well. We had 25, 30 songs. We had never written that many, so we had a lot of songs lying around in demo versions, and some that were even tracked in studio. We'll probably give them away once the record is out. Give away some as b-sides and screen them on our site or something.

SU: A lot of bands are trying to release music in different ways these days. They're recording a bunch of songs and then putting out small groups of songs at a time. Or, they're just giving them away. Or, like you said, doing a vinyl release and tacking a download card in with the vinyl.

Gavin: Yes, that's really cool. I love that idea.

PW: You have said that you would never compromise your integrity in order to achieve short term fame. That is pretty unique to me as a band. Why have you done that rather than just sell your songs to make money? The economy is rough, is that difficult to pursue?
    GH: I mean, it has almost become now that the way we write is just what we do and we tend not to write pop songs, you know? The poppier side of our band, some die hard fans might be like, oh we’re trying so hard to be poppy, but it is actually a natural thing. I believe that even musically, if something feels poppy like the lyrical content it’s never really pop-oriented lyrics. So I think there is a good balance.
    Last edited by sangreal314; May 13, 2009, 10:55 PM.

Re: interviews with gavin...

Very nice interviews! Lots of information and insight of Gavin's world. I like them a lot. Thanks!
    Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Thanks, these are awesome.
      http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
      seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

thank you sir, good ones.
        www.emrsag.com (turkish poetry try-outs) | www.last.fm/user/emrsag

Comment

B-sides ahoy.

Comment

the part about free b-sides is probably the best thing i've ever heard in a dredg interview.
            words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Love how Gavin said "we're trying to keep some surprises for once people buy the record or finally get it". Read to me like: "once they buy it or download it or whatever..."
              I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

Great interviews- thanks for sharing those.

Comment

I think it's weird that both interviews have a question and answer that are word for word the same...

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                    I think it's weird that both interviews have a question and answer that are word for word the same...
                    Yeah, I was thinking the same. But with Gavin, I know that if you tell him one thing, chances he will respond the same are big It happened to me and with a friend, we asked same things and he answered exactly the same, word for word. Plus I told him something years ago and same thing when I met him recently, again word for word same comment
                    Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

you have finally figured out that gavin is a robot.

Comment

LOL
                        http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                        seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

Yeah... it's not just the answer, it's the question. I don't think that second interview took place, I think they took pieces of other interviews and put one together and called it their own.

Comment

I do like the B side news. I would love to hear all of those songs that were demoed for this record.

Comment

Not sure if this has been posted else where but here's another interview I found:

Alison's interview with the band Dredg in Ft Lauderdale. Check out more interviews at www.loonatictv.com.

Comment

Working...
                              X