Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Some tidbits from the band..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some tidbits from the band..

I got a chance to talk about a couple album-related things with the guys last night in Scottsdale. I'll post my review in that show's thread when I get the chance, but I wanted to pass on some relevant information and a couple teases. So here ya go.

- First of all, the band is well aware that the album leaked, and of course reactions are mixed. It's inevitable, so it's not like it represents an unexpected twist or anything, and they're happy that people seem to be enjoying it. But this record more than any other record they have released is designed to be listened to in full quality and taken in context with the artwork, and I urge everyone to pick this up even if they have some complaints or don't dig it - a listen through of the real thing on a set of headphones will reveal the textures of this album.

- A video was recorded the other day for "I Don't Know" and apparently is more of an art/scenic video than a performance video, as opposed to "Information" which is mostly just performance like "Bug Eyes" was. The video for "I Don't Know" supposedly features some pretty cool visual effects.

- To confirm what's been mentioned in bits and pieces, there are no b-sides from these recording sessions, at least in terms of completed songs recorded in the studio that didn't make it. Songs like "Wondrous Miracle," "Push Away," etc. were started on when recording began, but organically just sort of fell away, got swallowed into other songs, or simply didn't get finished. What happens to these bits and pieces remains to be seen - the band may choose to finish them on the road or in a studio and release them as b-sides in the future, or use them for new material which they hope to be working on soon anyway, or they may just disappear like "On Again, Off Again" did. The possibility was mentioned of releasing a demo or two they did for this record as a b-side, though, so "Holding a Remedy Potion" junkies have something to hold on to I suppose.

- I'm not going to give anything away, but people who get the vinyl are going to experience this album in a very unique way which will add another level interpretation to the context and flow of the record.

- Something I didn't know is that the band had this record mastered by the same guy that did "Leitmotif" 10 years ago. dredg spent a remarkable amount of time working on the levels and soundscapes of this record. Mark spoke to me a lot about how they intentionally made sure that the sound wasn't "squashed," compressed into a radio-focused recording. They meticulously focused on minute details like the sound of a tunnel echo, the warmth of the strings, etc. If you're hearing what sounds like basic album production, chances are you're not listening to a good quality recording (a copy of which doesn't yet exist on the net I don't think). Just a little example to capture what I'm talking about is something Drew texted to me almost a year ago today that showed up on the record. I had asked him something to the effect of "What are you doing?" and he responded "Adding a shit-ton of reverb to the word 'falling' on 'Gathering Pebbles.'" You'll notice if you're paying attention that it remains there - one of my personal favorite moments on the album.

- The concept is of course explored a lot more in the album art, and I'm beginning to think that we're going to be discovering details in history books, science books and religious texts in the next few months that resonate with the record.

- A Treasure Hunt is coming, and it's going to be pretty big from what I gather. As I've mentioned in the past, it will span across 18 cities (18 tracks... hmmm...) and will be starting pretty soon. So stick around.

- The band is putting together a Fall tour (I opined to Drew about how badly we need Oceansize over here and he said he'd look into it.. let's hope that our collective dream comes true and they end up touring with the guys in a few months, though I'm sure that's as likely as me joining the band as a bongo player). He told me they expected to be back through in a few months, which I'm sure means the rest of the country will get a chance to see them too.

- Guys, I'm just going to stress this one more time. This is the most pivotal moment in this band's career to date. This is the record they've always wanted to make, and they're all extremely happy with it. It captures what they wanted to produce and showcases their interest in both experimentation and more straightforward writing. This band has made everything from soundtracks to electronic jingles to progressive rock to instrumental music and straightfoward, radio friendly alternative, and every step of it was intentional. Put bluntly, this record needs to do well. We need to support them in whatever ways we can - buy the record if you can. If you can't, and I understand that times are tough and money is tight, then burn the cd for your friends and family, get people to come to the shows with you, pimp them on your favorite social networking site, whatever. Just find a way to support the art that supports you.

- And finally.... the biggest announcement.... dredg is going to be playing a festival overseas with Limp Bizkit. Fantastic. Not a big announcement and not really even great, but I thought it was funny enough to mention.

I'm sure I'm forgetting something, so if I remember more I'll edit and add.
    Last edited by TheRuleofThree; May 7, 2009, 05:46 AM.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Re: Some tidbits from the band..

AWESOME!!! I couldn't be more excited! Thank you very much for the great news! Can't wait for the real thing!

And I will double you on the last part of the posting! I spoke with them a lot in WA and it's pretty obvious how happy and pleased they are with the record! This is under their own label and in my opinion they are doing GREAT job with promotion and everything so far. They need all the support they can get with this album. I am doing my best using all my networks (myspace, facebook, etc.) to promote them. If they come to my city I plan to make flyers, etc. Any ideas of what we can do to give them more exposure are very welcomed.

Thanks once again, Brock! Great report!
    Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Nice report...

In the wake of the b-side news, you should tell them they should change the title of "...Miracle" to something a little more truthful.

I.A.M.N.O.T.O.K.

Comment

Three.... I wont say it outright, but I think I know what your talking about.... the vinyl will be delicious.
        Also, in Dallas, at the end of horizon, Gavin said something like "Thank you so much....We'll see you this summer"....Hmmmmmm????? <

Finally, Oddly enough, I was talking to drew, and asking him what he was listening to...He named a couple of things, including "Kings of Leon"....I asked him if he liked Oceansize....He said something like" Yeah, theyre a good band" I told him that I, along with alot of members of Traversing think it would be nice if they could hook up on a tour. He kind of agreed, but didnt seem to enthusiastic. Im sure thats the last thing hes thinking about right now though.....

Sooooooo........ In accordance with Three, and as I said previously, BUY THEIR ALBUM. NO MATTER WHAT. SPEND 10, 12 DOLLARS....WHATEVER.....THINK ABOUT IT. THESE GUYS DESERVE IT. YOU WOULD WANT SOMEONE ELSE TO DO THE SAME FOR YOU. This is their LIFE, and theyve been kind enough to share it with US.
        Last edited by Donnie Darko; May 7, 2009, 06:48 AM.

Comment

"See you this Summer"?
          So they will get back to places they visited before after they come back from Europe?
          I am hoping for some WA or BC shows then

Comment

I DONT KNOW.....hahahah so cheesy, I know....But, during the drive home from Dallas to Arlington, I looked at my girl and said" So am I wrong, or did Gavin saY ""See you this summer"....she heard the same, so who knows.... Theyve got to rest sometime, but....? Gavin did say that he appreciates playing for Texas, and we are " always so good to them" which made me happy.

BTW Infared, I was also surprised to learn you were of the female persuasion. hahahaha,...... I think its awesome to get some much needed estrogen in here. Are you French-Canadian?
            ---
            Maybe theyll play ACL, and it was a Freudian Slip.......

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
              - And finally.... the biggest announcement.... dredg is going to be playing a festival overseas with Limp Bizkit. Fantastic.

Best news of the year. Fuck touring with Oceansize, bring on the dredg/Bizkit tour!!!
              Originally posted by Gnomad
              How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

I am coming from Europe actually, but used to live in Toronto when I discovered them and this was the place I met them for the first time. Moved to BC last Summer and was very happy to see them on both WA shows in April
                All these "See you in the Summer" from several shows lately make me extremely hopeful for another great experience soon.

Sorry for the offtopic.
                Let's brainstrom more ideas how to promote them. I am doing my best during last few months, but I don''t feel I do enough. This album means a lot to them and to so many of us and we have to help them do great with it! The deserve it BIG time!

Brock, thanks again for the news! I have so much work to do this evening and I can't. Too excited!
                Last edited by InfraredDream; May 7, 2009, 07:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
                  - Guys, I'm just going to stress this one more time. This is the most pivotal moment in this band's career to date. This is the record they've always wanted to make, and they're all extremely happy with it. It captures what they wanted to produce and showcases their interest in both experimentation and more straightforward writing. This band has made everything from soundtracks to electronic jingles to progressive rock to instrumental music and straightfoward, radio friendly alternative, and every step of it was intentional. Put bluntly, this record needs to do well. We need to support them in whatever ways we can - buy the record if you can. If you can't, and I understand that times are tough and money is tight, then burn the cd for your friends and family, get people to come to the shows with you, pimp them on your favorite social networking site, whatever. Just find a way to support the art that supports you.
                  Just did the pre-order through MerchNow, and if I can fix my employment situation, I'll get more stuff. If they make it to my neck of the woods (Pittsburgh), I'd be happy to see them live as well.

They've certainly got the material to explode. Here's hoping they actually do. It could not happen to a better band.
                  ---
                  Also, does the hotmail address still work?
                  A one track mind in a one way town
                  Let's go ahead and gentrify
                  We let art die with robot minds
                  Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

It just has to happen this year!

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
                      "See you this Summer"?
                      So they will get back to places they visited before after they come back from Europe?
                      So maybe they planted a bunch of stuff for the huge scavenger hunt, and will go back to the 18 cities to see it through/play more shows.
                      DeviantArt Facebook

Comment

^ that'd make sense.

just bought the package deal through merch now. and bought 2 vinyl & another cd via amazon.

maybe i should head over to the german amazon and get the version with the dvd & information w/acoustic track? sigh........I'M A CONSUMER WHORE
                        Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                        you're pretty narcissistic
                        enjoy that, nobody else does.
                        Originally posted by Madklikor
                        You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Thank you for the news, TheRuleofThree!

A lot of interesting stuff here. I'm only sad that those great songs/sounds like Wondrous Miracle, Can We Start Over, Push Away and others may not see official release. Could someone who meet the band in personal tell them that these great songs are deserving a good release, because they are on par with all their other great songs.

Comment

Stoked for a new treasure hunt.

Comment

Brock, you're awesome. As always. I think you know that.

AND, WTF? The bundles are out and I was completely oblivious! *orders*
                              ---
                              Hehehehehe...

How awesome does the friggin' CD case look?
                              ---
                              Urgh, $35? Fuck it, I want that fucking t-shirt and poster and CD!
                              ---
                              And ordered... This has been a step by step ordering process. Thank you.
                              (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Working...
                              X