Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

You & dredg

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You & dredg

While reading the posts in the poll about your favorite album dredg does, i got to wondering something based on a few peoples responses and thought it would be interesting to see.

I agree with Gnomad in the same thread and whoever else said it, that the majority of people here are pre-CWOA, (not making them any worse of a person if they aren't haha, cause that can kind of seem to be the vibe sometimes)... in no way am i trying to establish a level of dredg cloute based on how long you have liked them, or seen them live, i am just curious.
    so i am throwing the questions out for the whole forum (cause i didn't see a thread about this and i did a quick search for one)

When did you first hear about dredg?
    First song?
    First time live?

------------------------------------------------------------

For me: I read a lot about them on a site called www.inverse-music.com, that is actually now (as far as I know) shut down. I used to post on it a lot because in Montana its hard to hear of, or find new artists, without much of a local scene. Anyway, after one fan promoted them a lot, I finally downloaded the song (which also answers my other question!): Penguins in the desert. The bridge in the song hooked me, and I ordered Leitmotif after that. It was the early part of 2000, my 8th grade year of school. haha.... of course since then I have been a huge fan. I was supposed to see them right after El Cielo was released when they did a tour with the Deftones, they were scheduled to come to Billings, MT (about 4.5 hours from where i live) and had to cancel because Chino Moreno of the Deftones had a groin injury and couldn't perform. Unfortunately i stayed to busy with athletics all through high school and work in the summer, until last summer when i got to see them in Portland with Circa (and another band, i can't remember their name though) Its upsetting because I probably will never get to see them perform a lot of great tracks I missed out on, simply due to timing. Nonetheless seeing them live was one of the most cherished memories I have to this day.

So theres my story. how bout yours?
    'What man has made of man' - Wordsworth: Lines Written in Early Spring

i read a particularly glowing review of Leitmotif on theprp.com, and then i downloade the first 3 tracks. After that, it was over....

The first time I saw them was on some sort of MTV sponsored tour with Alien Ant Farm and Pressure 4-5 in Columbia, Missouri in mid 2001.
    http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

About 4 years ago at a rocknroll camp I heard Lechium. I Saw them for the first time in Santa Cruz about 2 days before Catch Without Arms came out. Since then I've seen them two other times at the Fillmore shows.

Comment

--When did you first hear about dredg?: About 4 or so years ago when my friend Ron sent me a few mixCDs. The thing is I remember reading about them on ThePRP (like NCN mentioned), but - as usual - I never got around to really checking them out.

--First song?: dredg was the last 4 songs on one of the discs. First of the 4 songs - "Lechium."

--First time live?: Aug. 2005. Before that, I don't think they came to Chicago that much. A very short while after I got into them, they had a show or 2 at Empty Bottle or something, but I found out way too late (saw it in a newspaper ad. I used to never keep up with bands' websites and crap before. I dunno why). After that, I never heard about a dredg show in the area until after CWOA came out.

Comment

well a while ago.. about a year and a half ago, me and my bf went into the city and went to tower records where he freaked out when he saw cwa was released and bought it for 8 bucks. i had no idea who they were at the time though but he did. and whenever we would just be hanging out at his house he'd sometimes put cwa or el cielo in. i didnt really pay super close attention to the music i just remembering thinking "hey, this is actually.. really good." and joking about the term "catch without arms" to which i laughed at and then we tried to attempt it with a soccer ball.. it wasnt easy let me tell you.

it wasnt until around sept./oct. of last year that he took me to one of their concerts (it was also his first dredg concert) in chicago at the bottom lounge (kind of as a date) where we got front and center. after that night.. i was hooked.
          ^^first time live.

first song i heard? probably ode to the sun. since my bf played cwa right after he bought it.
          this is your life and its ending one minute at a time.

http://www.myspace.com/lindseykay07

Comment

re: You & dredg

1. my Bro, he got me into them about a year, year and a half ago. He picked up el cielo or leitmotif (cant remeber which) as an impulse buy, and through just hearing him listen to them, they rubbed off on me

2. The first song I can remeber hearing is "Convalescent"

3. Agora Theatre, Cleveland, OH, Aug. 05'

Comment

Originally posted by the mad hatter
              it wasnt until around sept./oct. of last year that he took me to one of their concerts (it was also his first dredg concert) in chicago at the bottom lounge
              Nah, that was the August show I mentioned. The C&C tour was in the Fall.

Comment

I downloaded "Of the Room" back around the time El Cielo got released because of random internet praise. But I didn't really check them out until a few year later when I was on Amazon looking for CDs to buy. And they have the whole deal where people can make lists of their favorite albums...good way of finding about new bands. I got Leitmotif and liked it. Haven't seen them live.

Comment

Originally posted by zah
                  Nah, that was the August show I mentioned. The C&C tour was in the Fall.
                  really? it was in august? im horrible at remembering dates.
                  that was the concert that we unknowingly were standing next to eachother. how bizzare. 8)

Comment

When did you first hear about dredg? -

around when el cielo came out in 2002. zeradin got me into them. like all music given to me, i say that i'm going to listen to it right away....2 months after he gave me the burnt cds, i finally put them into my cd player....and i didn't know what i thought at first. i just kept listening...and liking it more and more.

First song - symbol song....i started with leitmotif at the beginning

First time live - May 2005 at the Axis in Boston. should have been back in 2003 in Worcester Mass....but i was a moron and didn't get out of working to go to the show.
                    Originally posted by Lye In Your Eye
                    you're pretty narcissistic
                    enjoy that, nobody else does.
                    Originally posted by Madklikor
                    You call me ignorant? LOL...Stop judging right you or you're gonna find me

Comment

Originally posted by the mad hatter
                      really? it was in august? im horrible at remembering dates.
                      that was the concert that we unknowingly were standing next to eachother. how bizzare. 8)
                      Yeah, August. Doesn't feel that long ago.

Heh. Right, right. I think they closed Bottle Lounge down, though. Last I heard, they were gonna change the venue's location/renovate it and all that jazz.

Comment

it's probably for the best. that place didnt exactly have the best acoustics..

Comment

When did you first hear about dredg? i read an interview on shoutweb.com along with their website about five years ago, which lead me to ask a friend if they could download a few songs of theirs since i had dial-up...
                          First song? he made me a very random cd, which i still have, and has symbol song, le'chium and penguins in the desert on it. so, first song for me was 'symbol song'.
                          First time live? their supporting tour with codeseven in december 2002. i was already more than hooked after over a year of leitmotif and six months of el cielo (yes, i was guilty of downloading it way early). needless to say, they were amazing. the show was messed up though...four harcore/metal bands played before dredg and codeseven.
                          words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

-I first heard about dredg from a friend who had just heard about them from somone he knows.
                            -He gave me "Triangle" and I've been hooked ever since. I used to be into harder rock but the artistry of dredg suited my ears much better. They are the are the only band that I've heard so far and liked EVERY song they've made (well..maybe except that old rapcord stuff...sorry).
                            -It's been less than one year since I first heard dredg now and I have nearly all of their songs and even got to see them live April 18 at the Metro in Chicago. Maybe next time I see them live I won't be an idiot by leaving right after the concert and miss my chance to meet them in person...

Comment

When did you first hear about dredg? -

My brother and his friend went to see them in 2002 (their tour with Taproot); and they were blown away by them. All my brother kept mentioning was how they had a tree on stage, and they cut off a branch at the end of each song, until there were no branches left (which was the end of their set as well).

First song - Probably Same Ol' Road - my brother played El Cielo for me a lot, but it took a while for me to really "get it."

First time live - March 2003 on the Snocore tour. I've seen them 6 times all together. Funny thing about the Snocore show - right before we went in, we stopped by some pizza place nearby. Two guys came in, and I remember thinking the one guy was cute. Soon a group of young boys walked up and started talking to the other guy - turns out the cute guy was Dino, and other guy was Beck from Glassjaw.
                              btw - Dino's cuteness is not what made me a dredg fan, I swear!
                              "I use music as some kind of weird salvation to get away from life." - Billy Corgan

http://www.myspace.com/medellia77

Comment

Working...
                              X