Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Evoking Images...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evoking Images...

whenever I listen to music, it always goes beyond a collection of sounds coming together in my head, it always ends up "painting" a picture in my mind.

so...

what I want to know is what images come to your head when you listen to music...more specifically, when you listen to dredg. Just pick a song -or an entire album- and speak about what images you see in your mind.

for instance,

when I listen to "whoa is me" I imagine a series of pictures:

during the "fluttering" trumpet: I evoke the image of a friend of mine playing his trumpet in a pitch black area, not standing on anything. The music he plays comes out as rings, and reverberate around all the space around him, until he just disappears

Once the vocals kick in:
    I imagine the band in a room resembling that of the "bug eyes" video (to put it simply), playing the song, quite calmly, very mellow

Once the chorus starts:
    The room dims, and everything slows down, while Gavin seems to act as if the opposite of what he speaks is happening (not overflowing, but near empty) to his breath. He moves around, acting out what he is saying, almost as if he's interpreting the song for the deaf

Most of the rest of the song seems to take place in a vista of mountains that looks as if it's taken out of an old asian painting. It switches between the "bug eyes" room and the claustrophobic (sp?) space where I first saw them live (Agora Theatre in Cleveland). I feel almsot as if I'm at total nirvana, while the rom bleeds beige and green. The band keeps on playing. The room is all of a sudden empty, and I'm in the back of the theatre, simply in shock. My ears feel as if they just had a few too many orgasms.

If any of you would like ot share some of your expieriences, feel free

if - on the other hand- you think this thread is absolute bulls--t, then don't be a dick and tell me how much it sucks, just don't post and let it die.

Re: Evoking Images...

Originally posted by Ventrio
    let it die.
    Enter the Underground

Comment

I thought this was a neat post... It kinda made me sad that people just let it die.

To be honest, I see a lot more images in my mind from El Cielo rather than CWA. As a whole for El Cielo, I've always had an image of a very old book with a brown cover and pages that were faded brown. In my head I also smell something like a combination between an old book and old, worn wood. I just see lots of brown.

But I get the most images on Whoa is Me. I always picture a very dry, arid landscape, and when he starts talking about the leaves and the dry lake bed, this little tiny spot in the desert appears that's filled with dead leaves. And when he starts singing about the water, I picture the water coming and filling up just that small spot of leaves, but leaving the vast majority of the desert without water. The band members aren't ever present for some reason....

I think it's cool how different people get completely different images for the same song/album... neat.
      http://www.lowercasenoises.com

Comment

re: Evoking Images...

I don't really give a shit about any of this. It's just music to me, whether there is some story behind the lyrics does not bother me and it's usually a waste of time because few musicians actually ever reveal what their songs mean.

Comment

if - on the other hand- you think this thread is absolute bulls--t, then don't be a dick and tell me how much it sucks, just don't post and let it die.
          Great job Zenjiro, i'm glad that you have respect for other people's curiosity and ability to see/feel just a little deeper than you can.

Anyways, such songs as Jamais Vu, i always see a house in the clouds and it is always covered with thick foliage.

With De-Loused in the Comatorium by the mars volta. All of the songs' imagery deals with a thick jungle and often includes a vietnam war type of environment. it just gives me an earthy feeling.

I am also interested in other listeners thoughts on this topic, not whether it is bullshit or not.

Comment

excuse me for stating the obvious

Comment

Jamais Vu: Audio Paradise. I cannot explain any further than that unfortunately, but every time I listen, this wave of extreme calm washes over me. Every so often I'll see memories from my semester in Europe, but these are occaisional and never the same, while the relaxing feel is constant.

And for the last three minutes of The Canyon Behind Her: I see a fisheye-lens stlye view of an American southwestern landscape(desert, hills, brush, etc) and for some reason time is sped up, the sun rises and sets about three dozen times, clouds go really fast, scene gets dark, light, dark again over and over. But when the chorus comes in, the sun sets quickly, then while you'd expect the same sped-up sunrise, the angle changes, and the sun just slowly explodes over the tops of the hills, blindingly bright. Beautiful.
              Save your stories cause they're all the same
              You've had your glory
              Throw it all away
              If you don't you will never change cause
              Give it time and watch your fame decay

Comment

mkdrummer wins the thread.
                http://rateyourmusic.com/~SinsOfArcadia

Comment

Re: re: Evoking Images...

Originally posted by Zenjiro
                  I don't really give a shit about any of this. It's just music to me, whether there is some story behind the lyrics does not bother me and it's usually a waste of time because few musicians actually ever reveal what their songs mean.
                  no one ever said "this is what the songs mean," they're just sharing the imagery that comes to them . . . to me it's just more proof that dredg's music is exceptionally good art because it can be interpreted it in so many different ways.

a painting of an apple is a painting of a fucking apple, but a canyon behind her is vast territory, my friend . . .
                  Originally posted by kata rokkar
                  Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

wanna take this fucking shit out side bitch??? ha

Comment

Originally posted by Sins Of Arcadia
                      mkdrummer wins the thread.
                      How do I win the thread? Somebody could come by and say "that imagery SUCKS! I see myself flying over treetops when I listen to dredg!"

Zenjiro: So much for getting the most out of your listening experience.
                      Save your stories cause they're all the same
                      You've had your glory
                      Throw it all away
                      If you don't you will never change cause
                      Give it time and watch your fame decay

Comment

maybe i do... huh?!?! ... tomorrow ... playground .. behind the swingset... at sundown... get ready fo a whoopin'.

Comment

yes, i will slap the bejeezus out of you . . . twice . . . heh heh . . .
                          Originally posted by kata rokkar
                          Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

symbol song... a man in suit in the desert. we watch him from a birdseye view and 360 around him from the sky. then cut into images of his face and the palm of his hand that has the symbol on it. he carries a briefcase but this man belongs in the desert. he isnt exactly lost. in the distance we see a clan of penguins travel past the rolling hills of sand. the wind is heavy. the sky is blue. with isolated clouds.

Comment

Whenever I hear "It Only Took a Day" I ALWAYS think of white rapids, in a raging river, or standing in the tide of a beach on a stormy beach minutes before a tsunami hits.....
                              Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted.

Comment

Working...
                              X