Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

fingerpicking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fingerpicking

I'm trying to get more into this style. I know a few of you guys on here practice this style, and I'm wondering if any of you can send me in the direction of some cool fingerpicking tabs (they don't have to be pure beginner tabs, I've been playing for about 6-7 years) so I can practice, and develop my skill a bit more. Thanks.
    ---
    also, modern folk music is preferred rather than the typical classic rock suggestions people tend to give. I don't want to play dust in the wind.
    Last edited by IKnockStuffDown; April 28, 2009, 11:52 PM.
    http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
    seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Re: fingerpicking

Is it like nose picking?

Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Honestly. I was a little curious what Ars had to say in the "Tabs" section... It lives up to my expectations...

...and as far as recommendations with finger picking? I really don't have any. This is a style that I'd like to learn properly. Since I'm 100% self taught for the last 10 or so years, I've picked up a lot of bad habits. I finger pick without my ring finger... Which is WAY wrong...

...even though you said no "typical classic rock suggestions", one of my first finger picking songs was Black Bird by The Beatles. It's got a folk feel to it if it makes a difference...
      Originally posted by Ars Sycro
      I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

I learned Dust in the Wind and Blackbird a couple years ago, and even though I love The Beatles (not a huge fan of Kansas) they're just not my thing. I'm self taught too, so I'd like to break bad habits before I venture any more into the style. I really enjoy folk music, so something along the lines of that is what I'd like to get into since almost exclusively play acoustic guitar as it is.

Comment

José González.. Anything off of Veneer
          Fleetwood Mac - Big Love (acoustic) will keep you occupied for ages, but maybe not the best song for learning correct technique
          My songs. oh wait I don't have a record out

classical music : http://www.classtab.org/ <-- This site is absolutely amazing for classical guitar tabs (go for the songs tagged with [easy] with corresponding midis)

Most important thing about fingerpicking is starting really really slow. I'm talking slowing the speed down to 10% making sure you're completely aware of every movement you're making with your hand.

The general rule is :
          p = thumb = for notes on the EAD strings
          i = index = for notes on the G string
          m = middle = for notes on the B string
          a = ring = for notes on the high E string

But that's a general rule, and when you've done it a while, it'll be obvious when to break that rule

I could probably write pages upon pages about this, but I don't have the time. If you are -really- interested in this you could get something like the pumping nylon dvd. That'll teach you strict classical playing style. But that might be going a little too far for what you're looking for
          ---
          because I'm bored, here's the main riff to José González - Crosses with right hand annotations
          Code:
          guitar tuned D A D F# B E
          (E string one step down, G string half a step down)
          ---------------------------------
          -0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---
          -8---8---8---7---5---5---5---5---
          ---0---0-------0---0---0-------0-
          -9---------7-----5---------5-----
           a   a   a   a   a   a   a   a
           m   m   m   m   m   m   m   m
             i   i       i   i   i       i
           p         p     p         p

-0---0---0---0---0---0---7---0---
          -5---5---5---7---8--10---8--10---
          ---0---0-------0---0---0---0---0-
          -5---------7-----9---------------
             i   i       i   i   i   i   i
           p         p     p
          if you take it ridiculously slow, and work your way up from there, you could get that up to speed in a couple of weeks

I find once that you get the main pattern down with the right hand, doing variations is really easy

Comment

Elliot Smith has some good fingerpicked stuff. Try for example 'Angeles', 'The Last hour', 'Memory Lane' ndn just check out some live recordings where he does some awesome fingerpicking.

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
              José González.. Anything off of Veneer
              Fleetwood Mac - Big Love (acoustic) will keep you occupied for ages, but maybe not the best song for learning correct technique
              My songs. oh wait I don't have a record out

classical music : http://www.classtab.org/ <-- This site is absolutely amazing for classical guitar tabs (go for the songs tagged with [easy] with corresponding midis)

Most important thing about fingerpicking is starting really really slow. I'm talking slowing the speed down to 10% making sure you're completely aware of every movement you're making with your hand.

The general rule is :
              p = thumb = for notes on the EAD strings
              i = index = for notes on the G string
              m = middle = for notes on the B string
              a = ring = for notes on the high E string

But that's a general rule, and when you've done it a while, it'll be obvious when to break that rule

I could probably write pages upon pages about this, but I don't have the time. If you are -really- interested in this you could get something like the pumping nylon dvd. That'll teach you strict classical playing style. But that might be going a little too far for what you're looking for
              ---
              because I'm bored, here's the main riff to José González - Crosses with right hand annotations
              Code:
              guitar tuned D A D F# B E
              (E string one step down, G string half a step down)
              -0---0---0---0---0---0---0---0---
              -8---8---8---7---5---5---5---5---
              ---0---0-------0---0---0-------0-
              -9---------7-----5---------5-----
                 i   i       i   i   i       i
               p         p     p         p

-0---0---0---0---0---0---7---0---
              -5---5---5---7---8--10---8--10---
              ---0---0-------0---0---0---0---0-
              -5---------7-----9---------------
                 i   i       i   i   i   i   i
               p         p     p
              if you take it ridiculously slow, and work your way up from there, you could get that up to speed in a couple of weeks

I find once that you get the main pattern down with the right hand, doing variations is really easy

you completely summed up most of what i was going to say. this is somethign i've been trying to pick up as well and jose has some really simple stuff but also very difficult things. It's a very strict practice thing, so if you sit down to do this, just try and stick with conditioning yourself. I still havent been able to pick this up, though I havent had the time to really do so.

I'll be using some of the other things you mentioned for finger picking so thanks!
              Facebookem, Danno | Twitter me this...

Comment

The Jose Gonzalez suggestion is a fantastic suggestion. I'd never heard of him before you mentioned, and his music is great.

Comment

jose is my fav next to dredg

Comment

A quick note on that José riff there, you can actually practice the right hand movement away from the guitar. Just do the picking pattern lightly brushing something like your leg.. I used to do that when I was waiting for the bus, and it actually helped me out quite a bit

Comment

I know you're not angling towards stuff that's too modern, but just to toss a suggestion in, I've been playing "Road Trippin'" by Red Hot Chili Peppers recently.. pretty song and basically the same fingerpicked thing over and over (with two other parts that happen infrequently), so it's quick to learn but good fingerpicking practice.

I too have developed stupid habits.. I barely use my ring finger and usually prop my hand with my pinky on the pickguard area (if there were a pickguard on my acoustic). I guess that just happens when you're self-taught..
                      Restore your needed shelter..

Comment

Originally posted by Pryftan Wing View Post
                        I know you're not angling towards stuff that's too modern, but just to toss a suggestion in, I've been playing "Road Trippin'" by Red Hot Chili Peppers recently.. pretty song and basically the same fingerpicked thing over and over (with two other parts that happen infrequently), so it's quick to learn but good fingerpicking practice.

I too have developed stupid habits.. I barely use my ring finger and usually prop my hand with my pinky on the pickguard area (if there were a pickguard on my acoustic). I guess that just happens when you're self-taught..
                        i do the same thing. a bit different but in the end, it's the same thing. i'm self taught too and trying to break this habit but at the same time i like it because it's kind of unique to play like that.

Comment

That's a horrible reasoning to keep doing something that is most likely harmful to your playing. Especially since I can guarantee that it isn't unique, vast majority of guitarists have horrible form when fingerpicking

Comment

It sorta depends on what it is. I'm comfortable with my propping my hand with pinky despite not seeing it done much, because it feels natural for me and I don't think it negatively affects my play. But not using my ring finger seriously affects my speed and consistency so that's definitely something I need to work on changing.
                            Restore your needed shelter..

Comment

Resting your pinky will noticably affect your playing if you get into the more serious classical fingerpicking stuff.
                              But I wouldn't care too much about it either, as you're not trying to be a classically trained concert guitarist (I feel pretty safe in assuming that )

Comment

Working...
                              X