Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Finally decided to complete my dredg vinyl collection with this LP (maybe on sale?) and I'm lookin' forward to listenin' to it again. It's been since my last post in this thread. I'm still not expectin' it to stand up to the other albums.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Maybe I'm a few years late, but to be honest, I really like Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy. It's not as good as their other material, but the lyrics are still... 'dredg'

Even if I have to listen to that horrible ear-destroying sound at the start of 'Down without a Fight' every time I pop the CD into the player.
      I actually don't think Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy is very ba-

dissipator paginam

Comment

I just don't care for the production and mixing of the album at all. All of the previous albums, even Leitmotif, had rather elegant mixes. CAMS is just jarringly grimy.

When I listen to it with a good set of headphones, it sounds even worse. Some songs sound okay from a mix standpoint, mainly the second half of the album. I know a lot of people hated Where I'll End Up, but it was by far the best mix on the album. Frankly, I just don't think Dan Nakamura has any idea how to incorporate a distorted guitar.

I will say I can enjoy it more now that the disappointment as a dredg album has worn off. If I'm in a mood for dredg, I will never play this album, but if a song comes on shuffle, I'll listen to it and bob my head. Also, as much as I hate the dragging chorus of the tent, my 7 year old loves it, so I find myself listening to it more than any other song on the album.
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Actually, listening to the most recent Drew podcast opened my eyes to this album in a different way.

He made a mention how he felt that Pariah was the last real dredg album and how he felt like they made a mistake not labeling Chuckles properly. It was more of a collaboration project than a full blown dredg album. I don't think any of us would argue that, even without Drew saying it, though that's still an interesting statement.

I think the overall perception would have been different if it was sold as a dredg\Dan the Automator release and not sold as "dredg's fifth studio release". Maybe not a drastic perception change though I do think it would have made a difference.

All that being said, this is still the only dredg release that doesn't find a way back into my regular rotation like the others do.
          Originally posted by Ars Sycro
          I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

It is still my least favorite and listened to album, but there are still some great songs on it. And as has been said, when played live some of these tunes really work! But yeah, the production leaves much to be desired.
            Originally posted by Gnomad
            How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Working...
            X