Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Going back and listening to Chuckles, the only tracks I really do like are The Thought of Losing You, Another Tribe, and The Ornament.

In terms of a band being around for 10 years without a dud, I think Katatonia, Anathema, Rammstein, Opeth, and Thrice are all great examples of this. Also my favorite band Sybreed, but they've only released 3 LPs.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyte30351 View Post
      "Sun Goes Down" and "Where I'll End Up" are my two least favorites on this album. Everythin' else I enjoy to varyin' degrees. I think it started off strong, but around "Kalathat" the energy level just drops off.
      It's funny, I'm the exact opposite. The beginning of the album has better song-writing, but the production is downright terrible and makes for a bad listening experience. I understand that some don't like Where I'll End Up, but it is the only song on the album that is mixed worth a shit. Everything else is gainy as fuck and hard to listen to. I really have a hard time considering DTA a professional after this album. He really should be ashamed.

After all this time, my initial reaction was definitely justified. The album is just not good.
      I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
      I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
      A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
      To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

I can't comment on the production, cuz I don't have a fucking clue when it comes to that stuff. I know what I like when I hear it, and so far this hasn't slapped me in the face with anything offensive, really. I'm listening to The Tent right now and I think it's one of the sexiest fucking songs I've ever heard. There are so many layers and sounds to it that I love to hear. Of course, I'm also listening on shitty iPhone earbuds, and I'm 99% sure that I'm still listening to the leaked copy that came out (though I do own the CD). I have it here at work which is where I'm listening. I have yet to listen to this album on a good system or set of headphones. One of these days I'll get around to that.

At any rate, this is their weakest album. That's obvious. I still find things to enjoy on it, though. Hopefully they put out something more "classic" (not to bring up that old argument again) to wash the taste out for most. Then again, I think they just need to put out an album where they aren't being told to not put effort into it. Drilling down and getting the best possible sound that they can is necessary, as DTA has proven. So long as he's nowhere near it. And he won't be, I'm sure we can all bet on that.
        A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
          I really have a hard time considering DTA a professional after this album. He really should be ashamed.
          I completely agree. Originally I was excited about this when I first heard he was producin' this album. Did not turn out how I had hoped though.

Originally posted by Sorry But Its Over View Post
          In terms of a band being around for 10 years without a dud, I think ...Rammstein...are all great examples of this.
          I must disagree. I've loved Rammstein since I first heard "Engel" on I think the Lost Highway soundtrack. But Reise, Reise and Rosenrot were not that great in my opinion. Some really strong material on each, but some duds too. Haven't listened to them in a long time though. Liebe Ist Fur Alle Da is fuckin' tits though! And I can't wait to see them fer the my kinda-sorta third time ever this April!
          Last edited by Kyte30351; March 22, 2012, 06:29 AM.
          Originally posted by Gnomad
          How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Would love to hear a live version of the whole Chuckles album. The songs sounded a lot better in a live environment. The album versions don't do justice
            Carpe Diem and Prog On!

Comment

RIP Chucles and Mr Squeezy.
              This album is pretty much death on the recent shows along with leitmotif.

Comment

Originally posted by Royalboy View Post
                RIP Chucles and Mr Squeezy.
                This album is pretty much death on the recent shows along with leitmotif.
                They've been doing Catch Without Arms.... why would they be playing Chuckles or Leitmotif then?
                Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

they have played Down To The Cellar and Canyon on the catch shows. they could have played Upon Returning or some other song and also they didn't played songs off chuckles on the Australian shows.
                  Last edited by Royalboy; June 13, 2012, 07:07 AM.

Comment

So they only played the 2 songs they've been using to close shows for years? I don't think 1 tour and another tour of a single album can be used as proof that they're done with it.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

i think the production on this album has A LOT more depth than people give it credit for.

lots of layers, lots of really tiny details you only notice on multiple listens.

i enjoy the vibe of this record, people just went into it with ridiculous expectations...

Comment

Originally posted by resonant111 View Post
                        i think the production on this album has A LOT more depth than people give it credit for.
                        No.

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Yes.
                          I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

lots of layers, lots of really tiny details you only notice on multiple listens.

i enjoy the vibe of this record, people just went into it with ridiculous expectations...
                            I agree. Listen to it with a capable headphone and lots of details pop up, like the subtle street sounds in The Ornament.

The sound quality of the vinyl is amazing by the way.

Comment

Listened to this all the way through fer the first time in likely a year. Still my least favorite dredg album...but (and maybe it's the beers) it was a pretty enjoyable listen.

Comment

I like this album, but dammit if this shouldn't have sounded like The Black Keys' new album, "Turn Blue".

Comment

Working...
                                X