Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Yeah, they sound programmed and totally lifeless, which is a problem for the whole album.

And for the record, Meshuggah uses lots of programmed drums and they make it work. They also let the complexity speak for itself. Where's the swing in a computer, though?
    ---
    The original Matroshka was badass with the click track... It just doesn't work here.
    I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
    I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
    A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
    To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Yeah, hense the love for Sang Real as opposed to the negativity towards the new album.
      And I personally LOVE Dino's drumming, he is one very important part of the dredg sound and what I love about them. Live the drums are as great as always and I was very happy with that!
      Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Works for me. I guess it's just personal preference. Though I can totally understand the preference of live drums, and if the programmed drums don't do anything for you on this album, I can see that too because I definitely hear the difference in the drums on Sang Real vs. Chuckles.

Comment

I am glad you understand what I mean.
          At this point I was very happy with the new songs. As I said, now I can "blame" Dan The Automator and the production as obviously the songs themselves are very much dredg, something I was not able to feel from the album. Now I can also understand dredg perspective better as well. And why they were not able to understand why many fans don't like the album. I guess they don't see that much of a difference in the new material.
          I just hope more fans will give them a chance on this tour as it is great! The Seattle venue was pretty empty unfortunately And from what I read on their FB, Portland one was not very good as well. This is sad. That was probably the best dredg show I've seen.
          Last edited by InfraredDream; July 25, 2011, 11:22 PM.

Comment

Finally got my MerchNOW package and for the first time this afternoon I listened to CAMS legally.

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
              . As I said, now I can "blame" Dan The Automator and the production as obviously the songs themselves are very much dredg, something I was not able to feel from the album. Now I can also understand dredg perspective better as well. And why they were not able to understand why many fans don't like the album. I guess they don't see that much of a difference in the new material.
              I totally buy that it's Dan's fault, but how could the band hear the album and not say Whoa WTF? and hit redo?

The ultimate insult is to listen to the ornament on Live at the Filmore, then listen to the butcher job Dan did to it - ouch, that's painful. It's sad that it's chased off all the fans from the concert, especially when they were touring with a band as amazing as Fair to Midland.

Comment

I think you are all giving Dan way too much credit.
                Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

idk, I think comparing those songs live and in studio, there is a noticeable difference in quality or likeability.
                  How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofface View Post
                    idk, I think comparing those songs live and in studio, there is a noticeable difference in quality or likeability.
                    I was about to say exactly the same. Before hearing them live I thought it is much more the band's vision. But now, when I heard them live it makes sence to feel this is their sound and the other one was influenced by Dan. Thus I said now I blame him.

Comment

Greetings everyone. New to the forum, but a veteran Dredg fanatic. I must say I don't understand the hate for CAMS. I am addicted to the sound on the album, and laid back nature of the production. I feel in some ways it's a lot deeper than initially seemed at first listen. Another Tribe, The Tent, and Sun Goes Down are stunningly beautiful tracks.

Comment

Welcome!

The album has grown on me a lot actually. Like you said, some of the tracks have a great groove to them and IMO fit within the upper echelon of dredg's catalog. I'm excited to see how they use this experimentation to energize themselves going into their next album.

Comment

^ I'm betting the album will eventually grow on me as well at some point...I just need the desire to actually listen to it again, that's all. I'm guessing it won't be for quite a while...

Comment

If it wasn't dredg, I would not listen to it and that's the bottom line. There are really only two or three songs I care for. Biggest complaint is still the horrid production, though. It just doesn't sound good. I'm really glad you can enjoy it, but there are very distinct reasons why many don't like it and they have been shared endlessly.

Go to some other music forums and search dredg. More times than not, people strongly dislike the album. I still expect the next album to be fantastic. I can't think of a truly great band that lasted without at least one dud.

Comment

Brand New. Problem solved.
                              Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                              Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                                Brand New. Problem solved.
                                Say what?

Comment

Working...
                                X