Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Originally posted by noclevername View Post
    Personally I think tptptd is up there with El Cielo.

*hides*
    !!!!!!!!!1111111
    last.fm

Comment

*hides*
      El Cielo is 3rd on my dredg list.
      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

*hides*
        No need to hide. I can't really compare these two, but as I said before I find Pariah to be their masterpiece. Still listen to it at least once every 2-3 weeks.
        Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Yeah, I personally rank TPTPTD only second to El Cielo. The latter just really hit me hard when I first heard it, and I can still listen to it again and again. The former is almost the same, but the Stamp of Origins only make it a tiny bit more unbearable. Other than that, amazing album!

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

Finally had a chance to digest this. Some thoughts on the various songs:

Like:
            Another Tribe - has the sardonic writing of dredg that has sort of defined Gavin's writing and vocals.
            The Ornament - already well known, not wild about the rhythm section being infused into it, but Gavin's voice is tremendous.
            The Thought of Losing You - It has that unmistakable dredg sound, but it's like "Information" or "I Don't Know": Familiar, but a little watered down.
            Kalathat - A good folk song, but the beginning is weak. The ending saves it, where the emotion kicks up several levels.

Eh:
            Upon Returning - Could be a standard dredg guitar-centered song, but it just doesn't have any pop or sizzle behind it.
            Somebody is Laughing - Again, no emotion. Whatever Gavin is trying to express in the lyrics isn't coming through his voice, the rhythm is uninteresting, and there isn't much of a flourish to it
            Down without a Fight - Sensing a theme here: No emotion, very bland musically.
            Sun Goes Down - Would be awesome if before the chorus it turned into a Muse-style riff (specifically sounds like it could be like "Darkshines") instead of sticking with the neutered pop sound

Dislike:
            The Tent - Just...no.
            Where I'll End Up - So incredibly disappointed. Loved the original.
            Before it Began - Could do a real badass western blues rock song. Lightswitch was partway there and a tremendous overall song. This is several steps back.

For the first time, I actually have songs on a dredg album that I will refuse to listen to. Even on Catch Without Arms, their most accessible album prior to this, songs like Spitshine still had some sort of value. The Tent, Where I'll End Up, and Before It Began don't.

I recognize what dredg tried to accomplish here, but I think they lost the forest for the trees. They have an incredible mix of talents, and by putting it through such a produced effort, they lost the forum for those talents to be expressed. Dan The Automator is a talented producer, but he doesn't mesh well musically with dredg's best.

Only Drew's rhythm is really present here. Mark's distinct freedom on guitar, Gavin's vocal range and depth of emotion, and Dino's versatility on drums/keys just aren't there, and it's disappointing.

It's better than a lot of music out there, but it's nowhere close to the standard that dredg has set.
            A one track mind in a one way town
            Let's go ahead and gentrify
            We let art die with robot minds
            Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
              El Cielo is 3rd on my dredg list.
              BLASPHEME!!!

Just for my own information... what is above El Cielo? Leitmotif has to be right?
              Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

TPTPTD and then Leitmotif.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

TPTPTD and then Leitmotif.
                  Interesting.

I would go El Cielo, Leitmotif, TPTPTD, CWA, and then good ol Chuckles.

I just think as far as a concept album and from start to finish El Cielo is the album of many decades for me. Not a bad song on it in my opinion.

As far as TPTPTD, it didn't feel AS cohesive and i was not a fan of the Stamps either (except for the last one)... thought they were a waste and felt out of place on the album. Also, besides the middle part that was cut out of the radio single, Information is unlistenable to me.

Even thought this is in the wrong thread. I'm curious to hear your stance on which album has the better ending... El Cielo or TPTPTD? When i say end i mean It Only Took a Day/Whoa Is Me/Canyon Behind Her vs. Quotes/Down to the Cellar/Horizon.

Comment

El Cielo without a doubt.

Comment

El Cielo without a doubt.
                      again... interesting. I would agree.

Even though... loving postrock like i do. Down to the Cellar is fucking AWESOME. Didn't expect that out of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                        As far as TPTPTD, it didn't feel AS cohesive and i was not a fan of the Stamps either (except for the last one)... thought they were a waste and felt out of place on the album. Also, besides the middle part that was cut out of the radio single, Information is unlistenable to me.
                        I think it may be a difference of how I listen to the album. Maybe it was the vinyl that really pulled it out, since it's the way it's lined up, but I view it in 4 different pieces, each ending with a stamp. Each section is pretty cohesive, and I think it's telling 4 different points (from at least 2 viewpoints) of a larger story.

Comment

Hmm... never looked at it that way. Im a douchebag and have the vinyl and have never opened or listened to it. Maybe i should to experience it? Maybe with a joint? haha.

Comment

I've listened to it on vinyl and never noticed that... New perspective.

Comment

El Cielo is a clear No. 1 to me, but the second half of PPD is the best half of an album I've ever heard. From R U O K onward, the diversity, flow and storytelling is remarkable.
                              words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Very difficult for me to compare both, so different, so unique and such masterpieces! Can't even say for the endings. From Quotes onwards, this is an amazing ending, just the way the energy flows and fades... It is beyond words really. Love it very much!
                                I guess this gives my answer to Lara as to why people have such expectations towards dredg. I guess that's why.
                                ---
                                Eagle Morph, just read your review. With a little bit of adjustments here and there, this is pretty much how I feel. Especially in the part about the talent. And about missing Dino and Mark. I do like Gavin vocals for the most part, he does some incredible stuff here, he is very confident with his voice and I love that most about the album. But same with me, very sad there are so many songs I can't really force myself to listen That never happened for me before and I don't like this new kind of feeling. I also see I am not the only one who is not happy with the added beat in the beautiful Ornament and feeling that actually takes out the emotion. Yesterday I felt I was the only one feeling that way.
                                Overall, pretty much my take on the album.
                                Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Working...
                                X