Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
    It still baffles me how many people seem to be unable to hear Dino on the record.

It's really pretty obvious, and he's on every track.
    What I hear is a constant beat, it's sounding like programmed drums and/or drum machine. I am no kind of a pro though, I am just sad I can't hear him properly as his drumming is one of the things I love about dredg.

Other than this, WOW, my name mentioned so many times in the last post
    Gnomad, if I learned something here after all these years it is that some people are just aggressive online. That doesn't mean they behave like that offline at all. So, yeah, I kinda learned to ignore it. Otherwise I won't be able to stuck around any Internet forum. I had my moments as many of you may remember and I stayed away from posting for awhile.
    It was expected there will be lots of negative reactions and that some people will articulate it in that aggressive way. Why bother? I would much rather discuss it (like Dino's drumming, the added beat to The Ornament and how it changes the whole vibe of the song, etc.) than personally attach fans or the band. The fact we are here means we care. And that is the most important thing.

P.S. I won't write a review or give my overall impression. But I would like to discuss certain elements of the music and lyrics. Maybe when all the love/hate settles down

P.S.1. Something else I wanted to add is that when the album leaked I was away deep into another music event that was pretty intense. So I believe I am still strongly influenced by that and probably not so open to the new dredg. One other reason I am holding back my opinion.
    Last edited by InfraredDream; April 18, 2011, 02:37 AM. Reason: spelling
    Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

I'm excited to hear these songs live. Might change some minds.

I really was not feeling Upon Returning watching the live videos, then heard it in person, and loved it.
      How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
        That's silly. I'm assuming that's what you're comparing this album to (obviously not to that extent), so why wouldn't people be bothered by that? You're basically walking into a room full of people that enjoy something and saying "This sucks, it's shit." You're insulting peoples taste and that's offensive, especially on a board that brings people that love a band together.
        No. I'm not comparing this album to that at all. That's precisely why I went out of my way to say:

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to a positive opinion of this album. It's simply the extremity of your attitude, and the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you, that leads me to believe what I just said.
        ---

FeebleFables is a good example of someone that has expressed his dislike for the album without insulting the band or others.

The responses aren't because you don't like the album. That's not what people are reacting to. People are reacting to the way some people say it. No one gave InfaredDream shit for what she said. She made it clear that she didn't like it without shitting on other peoples opinions. It was unfortunate that my joke came after her post, but oh well, life goes on.

It's not something to think about because you're taking things WAY out of context. No one has been lashing out at negative reviews. They've been lashing out at over-the-top negative reviews. FeebleFables and InfaredDream aren't the only ones expressing distaste without insulting the band or other peoples taste. And seriously, if you're not seeing the harassment of the supportive opinions, you're choosing to ignore that.

Just chill out. You don't like the album. That's fine.
        I didn't mean to single you out, even though I did quote your post above my rant. I'm willing to take you at your word when you say you're just joking and that it's "fine" if someone doesn't like the album.

The fact remains, there have been quite a few cases of people lashing out at legitimately-written negative responses to the album over the past couple weeks. I, personally, cannot understand why someone who thinks the band is "fading into insignificance," for example, is taking an extreme and unjustifiable stance. I suppose it really comes down to a disagreement over when negative rhetoric becomes unacceptable and tasteless. I consider that to be completely within the realm of valid opinions, given the sweeping changes this band has gone through since most of us started listening to them; strong reactions of both types are to be expected.

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
          No. I'm not comparing this album to that at all.
          Sorry, I actually didn't mean you specifically, I should have worded that better.

Comment

Originally posted by Persei 8 View Post
            Holy shit.

I've listened to the album, again and again.

And I can't help it but to say: It sucks. It really sucks.

Thumbs down for this one.

They definitely lost me with this one. I've been a die-hard fan since El Cielo. I've had a bad feeling about the direction they're going with the "Pariah, Parrot & your mama". But this one is a real bummer.

While listening to "Where I'll end up" I literally vomitted in my mouth. I had to go check if I happened to download a German "Schlager"-band who tried one of their songs in English. But wrong, it's Dredg. :-(

It's just bad, bad song-writing.
            No offense dude but did Gavin come up to you and beat you up or something? You're exaggerating like fuck. I mean, if this sucks, then think of how bad Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, I See Stars, BrokenCYDE, Black Veil Brides are. And let's not start with the mainstream repetition of Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Rihanna, etc. I know this is going WAY off from dredg...But my point is it's not *THAT* bad. And I don't understand why people have such high expectations.

Yeah it's my least favorite too, and I only like a couple of songs, but the fact that you care SO much as to vomit in your mouth while listening to one of the songs is just sad. Like, really sad. You're acting like this is one of the most serious things that has happened to your life.

What's more funny is how this is the reaction that every remotely-negative review gets from the diehard crowd. Yet, when called on it by InfraredDreams, you all claim you're "just kidding." Well, I don't buy it. Especially after posts like these.

Let's face it: the band really could put out a recording of assorted fart noises, and some of you would still lap it up and go to the Earth's end to defend it against naysayers. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to a positive opinion of this album. It's simply the extremity of your attitude, and the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you, that leads me to believe what I just said.

You might counter that Persei's comments were too extreme and lacked substance to back them up. Even if this is true, where's the corresponding harassment of extremely, baselessly supportive opinions? I pretty much loathe this album, but you don't see me lashing out when someone praises it. All else being equal, positive comments get way more of a free pass on this board than negative ones. Just something to think about.
            This isn't me "LASHING OUT AT """NEGATIVE REVIEWS""". Reviews are a couple of paragraphs discussing the album and the overall thoughts and feelings towards it. With no cussing, no pathetic remarks, no stupid comments, no immature reactions. "This is shit" and "I vomited" is not a "review". It's sad comments from people who are butthurt that they don't have 5 different albums that are imitations of El Cielo.

It's not a knee-jerk reaction. The knee-jerk reaction is (MOST OF, NOT ALL) the negativity towards this album, like that post up there that I first quoted. THAT's a knee-jerk reaction.

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
            What I hear is a constant beat, it's sounding like programmed drums and/or drum machine. I am no kind of a pro though, I am just sad I can't hear him properly as his drumming is one of the things I love about dredg.

Other than this, WOW, my name mentioned so many times in the last post
            Gnomad, if I learned something here after all these years it is that some people are just aggressive online. That doesn't mean they behave like that offline at all. So, yeah, I kinda learned to ignore it. Otherwise I won't be able to stuck around any Internet forum. I had my moments as many of you may remember and I stayed away from posting for awhile.
            It was expected there will be lots of negative reactions and that some people will articulate it in that aggressive way. Why bother? I would much rather discuss it (like Dino's drumming, the added beat to The Ornament and how it changes the whole vibe of the song, etc.) than personally attach fans or the band. The fact we are here means we care. And that is the most important thing.

P.S. I won't write a review or give my overall impression. But I would like to discuss certain elements of the music and lyrics. Maybe when all the love/hate settles down

P.S.1. Something else I wanted to add is that when the album leaked I was away deep into another music event that was pretty intense. So I believe I am still strongly influenced by that and probably not so open to the new dredg. One other reason I am holding back my opinion.
            That would be the worst time to do it, because then another debate/argument would be on the rise just as we're all about to calm down. Rather you do it now and get it out of the way as the album's release date approaching, rather then a couple of months after when no one gives a shit because we'll be back to square one. That's just MY opinion though. No offense/annoyance meant. :]

No. I'm not comparing this album to that at all. That's precisely why I went out of my way to say:

---

I didn't mean to single you out, even though I did quote your post above my rant. I'm willing to take you at your word when you say you're just joking and that it's "fine" if someone doesn't like the album.

The fact remains, there have been quite a few cases of people lashing out at legitimately-written negative responses to the album over the past couple weeks. I, personally, cannot understand why someone who thinks the band is "fading into insignificance," for example, is taking an extreme and unjustifiable stance. I suppose it really comes down to a disagreement over when negative rhetoric becomes unacceptable and tasteless. I consider that to be completely within the realm of valid opinions, given the sweeping changes this band has gone through since most of us started listening to them; strong reactions of both types are to be expected.
            really? lololololol
            last.fm

Comment

What's more funny is how this is the reaction that every remotely-negative review gets from the diehard crowd. Yet, when called on it by InfraredDreams, you all claim you're "just kidding." Well, I don't buy it. Especially after posts like these.

Let's face it: the band really could put out a recording of assorted fart noises, and some of you would still lap it up and go to the Earth's end to defend it against naysayers. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to a positive opinion of this album. It's simply the extremity of your attitude, and the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you, that leads me to believe what I just said.

You might counter that Persei's comments were too extreme and lacked substance to back them up. Even if this is true, where's the corresponding harassment of extremely, baselessly supportive opinions? I pretty much loathe this album, but you don't see me lashing out when someone praises it. All else being equal, positive comments get way more of a free pass on this board than negative ones. Just something to think about.
              Nah, I wasn't joking, but I also don't understand why you feel that you were lashed out against. I certainly haven't called anybody out for not liking the album. I don't like half of it, either.

I was just referring to the German review you cited. To assume that a band will no longer be relevant just because you don't like the music is highly egotistical, and simply incorrect. It was a pretentious remark, that's all.
              Originally posted by vsd
              ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Lara View Post
                I mean, if this sucks, then think of how bad Asking Alexandria, Attack Attack!, I See Stars, BrokenCYDE, Black Veil Brides are. And let's not start with the mainstream repetition of Black Eyed Peas, Britney Spears, Rihanna, etc.
                See, just because there are so many other *bad* bands, it is not some kind of excuse to tolerate something *bad* (not talking about this particular album!). That's the way it goes or should goes with art - it's eigther speak to you or it doesn't. It is really that simple.

But my point is it's not *THAT* bad.
                Define *THAT* Just joking. How *bad* it should be to allow people to not like it?

And I don't understand why people have such high expectations.
                Maybe just because dredg set the bar real high with their previous releases. Nobody (at least not me!) is telling they should always be serious or take themselves seriously. I understand perfectly well they wanted to take it easy this time around. And to have fun and all that. And I appreciate that. As far as I know they are very happy and proud with this album and from what I see many old and new fans are liking it. Fair enough. I am glad for them all! And still, I have higher/different expectations, no matter if it is fair to the band or not. Just a personal opinion/point of view.

That would be the worst time to do it, because then another debate/argument would be on the rise just as we're all about to calm down. Rather you do it now and get it out of the way as the album's release date approaching, rather then a couple of months after when no one gives a shit because we'll be back to square one. That's just MY opinion though. No offense/annoyance meant. :]
                I don't agree. We still discuss older material and in a way the opinions now are even more valid as we discuss the music and lyrics alone after they stood or not the test of time. Not so much of an argument as I am not seeking this. I would rather discuss Dino's drumming for example that would be very different after we see the songs performed live. Or Gavin's lyrics. But I still need more listen to get some of the meanings that I am still missing. And so on. I believe if I start to discuss now it would be my premature reaction. Which, as I said, right now could be very twisted by a very intense musical event that had just happened to me only a week ago.
                ---
                Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                To assume that a band will no longer be relevant just because you don't like the music is highly egotistical, and simply incorrect. It was a pretentious remark, that's all.
                Totally agree with this one. And as we know better than anyone, dredg may do a completely different album in 2 years that could be their next masterpiece.
                And as you said, they may end up being more popular than ever after this album, no matter what some of the old/diehards are feeling towards the new material.
                Last edited by InfraredDream; April 18, 2011, 04:45 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

... catfight?

Comment

... catfight?
                    ??
                    Me and Lara? Naaah :P

Comment

Oh, sorry, my inner typical male thought pattern took over for a second there...

Comment

Oh, sorry, my inner typical male thought pattern took over for a second there...
                        Funny If any pattern here, it could be more of an old vs new fan than catfight really. But I don't think there is anykind of "fight" here at all.
                        Listening to the album once again while I type... I like the "song of the week" thingy. It might be better for me to move there.
                        Sorry for the offtopic.

Comment

I'm new to the forum, wouldn't really consider myself a new "fan", people need to get with that...
                          last.fm

Comment

Oh, you just said a page ago to NOT take things seriously, right? That was an obvious joke! No worries, OK?

Comment

See, just because there are so many other *bad* bands, it is not some kind of excuse to tolerate something *bad* (not talking about this particular album!). That's the way it goes or should goes with art - it's eigther speak to you or it doesn't. It is really that simple.

Which is what you cut off from the rest of my paragraph. I'm just saying, to exaggerate about one's negative thoughts on the album as if it is one of the worst things one has ever heard, is pretty ridiculous.

Define *THAT* Just joking. How *bad* it should be to allow people to not like it?
                              Every song on the album is completely intolerable. Is that not reasonable?

Maybe just because dredg set the bar real high with their previous releases. Nobody (at least not me!) is telling they should always be serious or take themselves seriously. I understand perfectly well they wanted to take it easy this time around. And to have fun and all that. And I appreciate that. As far as I know they are very happy and proud with this album and from what I see many old and new fans are liking it. Fair enough. I am glad for them all! And still, I have higher/different expectations, no matter if it is fair to the band or not. Just a personal opinion/point of view.
                              Which is exactly what people need to get over. Not saying it's okay for them to continue in the Chuckles route...I don't want people to think I'm like the hugest fan of Chuckles because I've said this MORE THAN ONCE ALREADY, it's my least favorite dredg album and there are a couple on there that I can't stand. It's just not as atrocious as some people are making it out to be. The negative comments on here are much more ridiculous than the positive ones and I think we all can DEFINITELY agree on that. If not, take a closer look around Facebook and YouTube, besides this forum. And what I'm arguing against regarding this particular stance is people making comments like "THEY NEED TO MAKE ANOTHER EL CIELO"....It's not going to happen.

I don't agree. We still discuss older material and in a way the opinions now are even more valid as we discuss the music and lyrics alone after they stood or not the test of time. Not so much of an argument as I am not seeking this. I would rather discuss Dino's drumming for example that would be very different after we see the songs performed live. Or Gavin's lyrics. But I still need more listen to get some of the meanings that I am still missing. And so on.
                              Okay that makes sense. I was just being a little cautions then and was anticipating some kind of intense rage between everyone.
                              ---
                              Oh, you just said a page ago to NOT take things seriously, right? That was an obvious joke! No worries, OK?
                              Now you're confusing me....You just mentioned it would be more of an old vs new fan thing, and I was just clarifying. Not upset or angry at all. Not taking it seriously. Just adding to the discussion. Sorry if you're misunderstanding me. :P
                              ---
                              eeek sorry guys. i feel a bit weird. lol
                              last.fm

Comment

It's ok. Most of the guys here ARE weird.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

Working...
                                X