Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

oh.

hahaha
    last.fm

Comment

Originally posted by InfraredDream View Post
      P.S. Just played The Ornament again. Still don't get the beat and still feel it is useless and just takes the emotion out of this beautiful song. But Gavin's voice is better than ever!
      Funny. I find the contrast between the mechanical, anorganic beat and Gavin's live sounding vocals one of the most intriguing aspects of this version of The Ornament. Liked the earlier versions too, but I'm glad they recorded it the way they did.
      I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

Interesting. I am glad for you than. Thanks for sharing
        Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

Holy shit.

I've listened to the album, again and again.

And I can't help it but to say: It sucks. It really sucks.

Thumbs down for this one.

They definitely lost me with this one. I've been a die-hard fan since El Cielo. I've had a bad feeling about the direction they're going with the "Pariah, Parrot & your mama". But this one is a real bummer.

While listening to "Where I'll end up" I literally vomitted in my mouth. I had to go check if I happened to download a German "Schlager"-band who tried one of their songs in English. But wrong, it's Dredg. :-(

It's just bad, bad song-writing.

Comment

Originally posted by Persei 8 View Post
            Holy shit.

I've listened to the album, again and again.

And I can't help it but to say: It sucks. It really sucks.

Thumbs down for this one.

They definitely lost me with this one. I've been a die-hard fan since El Cielo. I've had a bad feeling about the direction they're going with the "Pariah, Parrot & your mama". But this one is a real bummer.

While listening to "Where I'll end up" I literally vomitted in my mouth. I had to go check if I happened to download a German "Schlager"-band who tried one of their songs in English. But wrong, it's Dredg. :-(

It's just bad, bad song-writing.
            Well, lucky for you and others there are many other awesome dredg songs to listen to.

Personally, I could see this album taking hold of a listener down the line. The example I give is of Metallica's Load, Radiohead's Kid A, Paradise Lost's One Second and on and on.

Also, Where I'll End Up is one of my favorites!
            Last edited by jgsb2001; April 18, 2011, 01:05 AM.
            Holoogamooga:
            It made me kind of sad when I'd talk about Thursday, the band, in high school and everyone would just look at me and say something snarky about the day of the week.

Comment

Read on a german board:

"A band that once wrote songs for all eternity is now headed straight into insignificance."

Unfortunately, totally correct.

Comment

Yet, the reality is they will probably be more popular by the end of the year than they ever have been.

Or maybe this is the album that kills their career, but I doubt it.
                Originally posted by vsd
                ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Persei 8 View Post
                  Read on a german board:

"A band that once wrote songs for all eternity is now headed straight into insignificance."

Unfortunately, totally correct.

K.

Comment

It's funny because it's so egotistical.
                    Originally posted by vsd
                    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

It still baffles me how many people seem to be unable to hear Dino on the record.

It's really pretty obvious, and he's on every track.
                      Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                      Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

What baffles me is that the band has changed their style on every record and despite, it seems like some that dislike the style of a certain record decide that this is how dredg is going to sound from now on... and then they put out a new album and it doesn't sound like the last one...

I don't see a progression. I see side steps, jumps and 180's.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
                          K.
                          Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
                          It's funny because it's so egotistical.
                          What's more funny is how this is the reaction that every remotely-negative review gets from the diehard crowd. Yet, when called on it by InfraredDreams, you all claim you're "just kidding." Well, I don't buy it. Especially after posts like these.

Let's face it: the band really could put out a recording of assorted fart noises, and some of you would still lap it up and go to the Earth's end to defend it against naysayers. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to a positive opinion of this album. It's simply the extremity of your attitude, and the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you, that leads me to believe what I just said.

You might counter that Persei's comments were too extreme and lacked substance to back them up. Even if this is true, where's the corresponding harassment of extremely, baselessly supportive opinions? I pretty much loathe this album, but you don't see me lashing out when someone praises it. All else being equal, positive comments get way more of a free pass on this board than negative ones. Just something to think about.

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
                            What's more funny is how this is the reaction that every remotely-negative review gets from the diehard crowd. Yet, when called on it by InfraredDreams, you all claim you're "just kidding." Well, I don't buy it. Especially after posts like these.

Let's face it: the band really could put out a recording of assorted fart noises, and some of you would still lap it up and go to the Earth's end to defend it against naysayers. I'm not saying you aren't entitled to a positive opinion of this album. It's simply the extremity of your attitude, and the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you, that leads me to believe what I just said.

You might counter that Persei's comments were too extreme and lacked substance to back them up. Even if this is true, where's the corresponding harassment of extremely, baselessly supportive opinions? I pretty much loathe this album, but you don't see me lashing out when someone praises it. All else being equal, positive comments get way more of a free pass on this board than negative ones. Just something to think about.
                            I like it and im a diehard dredg fan from Leitmotif days... i just like how they're able to do as many genres that they have been able to do and do it well. Is this my favorite album? Nope. Is it my least favorite... probably. But do i still like it? Yep. I think its pretty ridiculous to say that the album sucks seeing as they've taken on a whole new genre of music and did it pretty well. Instead of saying the album sucks... just say it isnt for you. Because thats probably more to the truth.
                            Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                              Is this my favorite album? Nope. Is it my least favorite... probably. But do i still like it? Yep. I think its pretty ridiculous to say that the album sucks seeing as they've taken on a whole new genre of music and did it pretty well. Instead of saying the album sucks... just say it isnt for you. Because thats probably more to the truth.
                              ^Truth. There are some excellent songs on this album. But there are also some duds. Overall, it is an album that will probably grow on me . . .
                              Holoogamooga:
                              It made me kind of sad when I'd talk about Thursday, the band, in high school and everyone would just look at me and say something snarky about the day of the week.

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
                                What's more funny is how this is the reaction that every remotely-negative review gets from the diehard crowd.Yet, when called on it by InfraredDreams, you all claim you're "just kidding." Well, I don't buy it. Especially after posts like these.
                                She didn't call anyone on anything. My joke was not in response to her post. If it were, I would have quoted her. I just thought it was a funny joke and it fit in this thread. Even if you do think their older material is better, you should still be able to see the humor in that joke. As far as the other post, it wasn't a negative review, it was just hateful. Fuck that.

Let's face it: the band really could put out a recording of assorted fart noises, and some of you would still lap it up and go to the Earth's end to defend it against naysayers.
                                That's silly. I'm assuming that's what you're comparing this album to (obviously not to that extent), so why wouldn't people be bothered by that? You're basically walking into a room full of people that enjoy something and saying "This sucks, it's shit." You're insulting peoples taste and that's offensive, especially on a board that brings people that love a band together.

FeebleFables is a good example of someone that has expressed his dislike for the album without insulting the band or others.

I'm not saying you aren't entitled to a positive opinion of this album. It's simply the extremity of your attitude, and the knee-jerk reaction to anyone who disagrees with you, that leads me to believe what I just said.
                                The responses aren't because you don't like the album. That's not what people are reacting to. People are reacting to the way some people say it. No one gave InfaredDream shit for what she said. She made it clear that she didn't like it without shitting on other peoples opinions. It was unfortunate that my joke came after her post, but oh well, life goes on.

You might counter that Persei's comments were too extreme and lacked substance to back them up.
                                Yep.

Even if this is true, where's the corresponding harassment of extremely, baselessly supportive opinions? I pretty much loathe this album, but you don't see me lashing out when someone praises it. All else being equal, positive comments get way more of a free pass on this board than negative ones. Just something to think about.
                                It's not something to think about because you're taking things WAY out of context. No one has been lashing out at negative reviews. They've been lashing out at over-the-top negative reviews. FeebleFables and InfaredDream aren't the only ones expressing distaste without insulting the band or other peoples taste. And seriously, if you're not seeing the harassment of the supportive opinions, you're choosing to ignore that.

Just chill out. You don't like the album. That's fine.
                                ---
                                At the end of the day, I'm pretty happy with how things are going. This is nothing compared to the shit that went on around the Catch and Pariah releases. It's been pretty mild and friendly.
                                Last edited by Gnomad; April 18, 2011, 02:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X