Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
    Lyrics and vocals are two different things. However, lyrics and poetry are very comparable. They both involve rhymes, meters, verses, allegory, etc. Yes, lyrics need to fit vocal lines. That is where talent comes in.
    Song lyrics are not meant to stand on their own. Poetry is. At least that's why my English professor told me when I tried to use song lyrics instead of actual poetry for a writing exercise. I didn't completely agree with it at the time, but I do now.

I think that part of what turns people off to Gavin's literal lyrics, is that he also happens to be a very literal singer. He tends to annunciate each and every syllable in a vocal line, giving all of the words equal weight. The words don't really roll off of his tongue, and therefore nothing really gets hidden within the music. It can make the lyrics feel a little nursery rhyme-ish at times.
    Originally posted by vsd
    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
      Serious question: I'm interested in everyone's favorite lyric writers. Who brings it every time?
      Jonathan Davis.

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
        Jonathan Davis.
        I love watching videos of acoustic Korn. It really does illustrate the fact that he has no business singing.
        ---
        Originally posted by Fawst View Post
        Not that this matters at all, but Gilmour is also about a thousand times better a vocalist than Waters. Just saying. Lyricist, too.
        I agree about the vocals. The lyrics, not so much. They are entirely different lyricists. Comparing Roger's lyrics to David's is like comparing Dali to Picasso. Entirely different styles. I personally prefer the bizzaro crap that comes out of Waters' sick mind.

I think we can all agree that they are both better lyricists than Syd. And we should certainly agree that Roger was 10 times the songwriter.
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

I love watching videos of acoustic Korn. It really does illustrate the fact that he has no business singing.
          Right? I didn't realize just how bad he was until he did that... one of the most horrible things I've ever heard...

Comment

It's funny, I really don't see what's "bizarro" with Waters' lyrics at all. They all seem pretty straight forward to me. I do agree that him and Gilmour are completely different, and I love both of them, but I just prefer Gilmour's lyrics because they are a bit more descriptive to me. I do not, by any means, expect anyone to agree with me though.
            ---
            And I would say I love Cedric Bixler-Zavala, but unfortunately, I don't know what half of the words in his lyrics even mean.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

I dont know how to feel about this... im stoked and keep listening but I keep finding things I'm not sure they took the best route or rythem for....

I also keep picturing Dino just playing the drums on his keyboard and I just dont want that to happen....

So does anyone think the tent is about how gavin had to go out and get his babies momma any random request at 3am for pickle mayo and penut butter sandwiches while she was prego????

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh and Omar writes most of the Lyrics for the music... Cedric uses his voice to determine what best word fits... i.e. he uses different lyrics live on Goliath than on the record....

But still - the black stocking you kept smell of wet cigarrettes, torn from this lust that you just could not keep... dope fuckin lyrics.

Gilmore is god --- and seriously no one likes Dylan???? And what about Plant and Page....

I really like Kurt Cobains lyrics too....
              Last edited by Kush42; April 11, 2011, 10:33 PM.
              Wild illusions dictate MY next move.

Comment

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
                It's funny, I really don't see what's "bizarro" with Waters' lyrics at all.
                The Wall gets pretty odd at times. The Trial is certainly one of my all-time favorite songs by Pink Floyd and it is certainly bizarre.

I just saw that David Gilmour's website proclaims him "The Voice and Guitar of Pink Floyd." That's pretty disingenuous. Modesty has never been his or Roger's strong suit, though. It's a shame that they're both dickheads that can't get along. The music they made together was way better than anything they've done since.

Comment

I thought Cedric wrote most of the lyrics for De-Loused by watching a bunch of TV's or something. I could be wrong about which album it was, but I remember reading that somewhere.
                  ---
                  The Wall gets pretty odd at times. The Trial is certainly one of my all-time favorite songs by Pink Floyd and it is certainly bizarre.

I just saw that David Gilmour's website proclaims him "The Voice and Guitar of Pink Floyd." That's pretty disingenuous. Modesty has never been his or Roger's strong suit, though. It's a shame that they're both dickheads that can't get along. The music they made together was way better than anything they've done since.
                  They get along now more than before. Gilmour says nowadays that he wouldn't be against getting together with Waters for something like a show or even a few, but they aren't at each other's throats like they used to be.

And The Wall is very straight-forward to me. Waters used a ton of metaphors, but it's always easy to see what he was talking about.

Comment

I think Waters lyrics are pretty bleh. But I don't doubt that to you guys, they're good or meaningful. I wouldn't compare them to a 12 year olds, you know.

Comment

I'm also really growing to love Darroh Sudderth's lyrics. They're pretty abstract a lot of the time, which I appreciate. I also like that he just leaves them totally up to interpretation.

Oh, and holy shit, I forgot about an all-time favorite: Zack de la Rocha. Seriously, Settle for Nothing and Ashes in the Fall are fantastic.
                      ---
                      They get along now more than before. Gilmour says nowadays that he wouldn't be against getting together with Waters for something like a show or even a few, but they aren't at each other's throats like they used to be.

And The Wall is very straight-forward to me. Waters used a ton of metaphors, but it's always easy to see what he was talking about.
                      I just know that the one time they did get together and play (Live Aid or whatever) Roger was basically just there to play bass and be there. David totally made all the decisions and it was obvious by the song selections. They all tended to be Gilmour songs.

As for the Wall, I can see what you mean. I just love the way he tells the story lyrically. It's an epic set to song.

Okay, so I'll give you a real bizarro lyricist. I enjoy a lot of Frank Zappa's lyrics, even though they are quite silly and juvenile in subject matter at times. It's the way that he was able to inject serious commentary into completely absurd songs that impresses me.
                      ---
                      Originally posted by Kush42 View Post
                      and seriously no one likes Dylan????
                      I will probably never hear the end of this, but Jakob has written some solid lyrics, too.

Comment

I'll get even more flack for this, but I don't like EITHER Dylan. At all.

Yes, I don't know how I didn't think of Frank Zappa either, to be honest. As far as commentary into music, Joe's Garage is the pinnacle of this idea. But there isn't anything that man did that I didn't like, except maybe his super early works from when he was 15 or even some of the Mother's stuff.

And Zack de la Rocha, he's a great lyricist, albeit WAY too political for my tastes.

Comment

I'm also really growing to love Darroh Sudderth's lyrics. They're pretty abstract a lot of the time, which I appreciate. I also like that he just leaves them totally up to interpretation.
                          I like his use of 'sayings' to portray his message, it's pretty original. Even the name of the band is a play on a saying, so it's cool that it's thought out and fits a theme.

I also like how the music will often take a vaguely old english or celtic type feel, adding to the whole old-english-sayings type motif.

Good work.

Comment

And in related, exciting news, Pink Floyd signed a new 5-year agreement with EMI.

Originally posted by wikipedia
                            On 10 July 2010, Roger Waters and David Gilmour performed together at a charity event for the Hoping Foundation. The event took place at Kidlington in Oxfordshire, England. The pair played to an audience of approximately 200. The event raised money for Palestinian children in order to give them a better life. Gilmour played this event in 2009, when he performed alongside Kate Moss. In return for Waters' appearance at the event, Gilmour has agreed to perform "Comfortably Numb" at one of Waters' upcoming performances of The Wall.
                            ---
                            They've reconciled their differences enough to do something together on multiple occasions. Finally.

Comment

This conversation has been good and in the end has just reinforced to me that there is no objectively "respectable" way to write lyrics. When Darroh Sudderth, Omar Lopez, David Gilmour's wife, and Bob Dylan are all lumped into the same category, it's pretty strong evidence that intangibles play a big role in it.

For what it's worth though, I agree that all of the mentioned lyricists are truly talented and that lyrics on "Chuckles" aren't as thought-provoking as previous releases. But I consider the lyrics on "PPD" to be nothing short of ideal for that record, so I don't really understand the animosity towards that release. That's for another thread, though.
                              Originally posted by Gnomad
                              I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
                              Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                              do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

And Zack de la Rocha, he's a great lyricist, albeit WAY too political for my tastes.
                                Which brings up Neil Young....

I think one of the things I appreciate most about Zappa is that he tended to make a LOT of socio-political statements, but he was cheeky enough to get away with it. He certainly fits in with Gilmour and Waters as incredible musicians and assholes.

Comment

Working...
                                X