Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

The more I listen to CAMS, the more I love it. It's different, yet it's unmistakably dredg. Someone Is Laughing has grown on me even more than before. The Tent is one of their best songs in my opinion, even though it's not "by" them. The only track I just don't care for at all is Where I'll End Up. It's this album's Spitshine.
    A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Excellent choice with Shannon Hoon. Car Seat makes me cry every time I hear it.

On a lighter note, I seem to feel about dredg quite differently than most of you. Yes, El Cielo was my favorite. I don't think they will, or even should, pop that one out of their asses again. I happen to LOVE Pariah as well. Every real song on it (minus "filler" songs). That's just because I don't like little snippet things (i.e Tool's Ænima and even El Cielo's brushstrokes).

This new album...I must say it took a few listens for me to like ANYTHING on it. I despised The Thought of Losing You when I first heard it, Upon Returning was ok live, but I wasn't thrilled by the direction when I saw it. But after a few listens yesterday on a 3 hour drive, I can say that I do like this album quite a bit. It's poppy, it's simple, and at times, it can be quite ear-wrenching with Gavin's vocals. There are a few bad notes in there. But all in all, I think the simplicity is quite beautiful, and the fact that this is what they wanted to present...well that's cool by me. The honesty means a lot.

I certainly don't think this is their best album to date (to me it's the worst), but I respect it for what it is.

It falls into the Catch Without Arms category for me, which was on the "eh" side of the line for me (even though there are some amazing songs there as well...one of which nobody agrees with me on, "Spitshine").

Yes, to each his own.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

Blind Melon! Great band, Shannon's one of my favorites. And he is a great lyricist. It's also paired with amazing melodies, which never hurts. Go listen to that song Mouthful Of Cavities if you've never heard it, or any of Blind Melon's stuff really. I Wonder, Dear Ol' Dad, Toes Across The Floor, etc etc.

Too bad people only really know "No Rain." Probably their worst song and the most simple. And it's still pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
          That's why I think poetry has no business being compared to vocals.
          Lyrics and vocals are two different things. However, lyrics and poetry are very comparable. They both involve rhymes, meters, verses, allegory, etc. Yes, lyrics need to fit vocal lines. That is where talent comes in.
          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by efpdwd View Post
            I think with each successive release Gavin gets better and better.
            With the exception of Lietmotif, I believe the exact opposite.

Just curious, who are your other favorite singers or lyricists?

Comment

Probably an obvious one, but Jeff Buckley was/is a poet. And top 5 best male rock vocalist of all time, IMO..

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingwhitenoise View Post
                Blind Melon! Great band, Shannon's one of my favorites. And he is a great lyricist. It's also paired with amazing melodies, which never hurts. Go listen to that song Mouthful Of Cavities
                Great minds think alike. I used Mouthful of Cavities as my example on the previous page of the thread.
                ---
                Probably an obvious one, but Jeff Buckley was/is a poet. And top 5 best male rock vocalist of all time, IMO..
                Actually, Jeff used a lyricist a lot of the time. I'll agree on the vocalist part.

Comment

Gavin's range is lower these days. I can actually sing all of CAMS, whereas I used to crack at the thought of singing to El Cielo (Sanzen, Whoa Is Me). I'm not the best singer in the world by a long shot, but I'm glad I can finally match the range of his current work.

Comment

Interesting. Didn't know that. Well whoever was writing stuff like this is genius:

There's the moon asking to stay
                    Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
                    Well it's my time coming
                    I'm not afraid to die
                    My fading voice sings of love
                    But she cries to the clicking of time
                    Of time

Wait in the fire
                    Wait in the fire

And she weeps on my arm
                    Walking to the bright lights in sorrow
                    Oh drink a bit of wine we both might go tomorrow
                    Oh my love
                    And the rain is falling and I believe
                    My time has come
                    It reminds me of the pain
                    I might leave
                    Leave behind

Comment

Interesting. Didn't know that. Well whoever was writing stuff like this is genius:

There's the moon asking to stay
                      Long enough for the clouds to fly me away
                      Well it's my time coming
                      I'm not afraid to die
                      My fading voice sings of love
                      But she cries to the clicking of time
                      Of time

Wait in the fire
                      Wait in the fire

And she weeps on my arm
                      Walking to the bright lights in sorrow
                      Oh drink a bit of wine we both might go tomorrow
                      Oh my love
                      And the rain is falling and I believe
                      My time has come
                      It reminds me of the pain
                      I might leave
                      Leave behind
                      Gary Lucas may have written those. Jeff did write Lover, You Should Have Come Over, Last Goodbye and Eternal Life, though.

Comment

Oh, and David Gilmour is in my rankings for top lyricists. Not vocalist, because he sometimes tries to hit notes he shouldn't, but I love his lyrics. (See: "Sorrow", "High Hopes", "Yet Another Movie")

Comment

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
                          Oh, and David Gilmour is in my rankings for top lyricists. Not vocalist, because he sometimes tries to hit notes he shouldn't, but I love his lyrics. (See: "Sorrow", "High Hopes", "Yet Another Movie")
                          Gilmour's wife writes the majority of his lyrics, by the way, but his delivery is fantastic

Comment

Yeah. Grace was Lucas.
                            ---
                            Originally posted by jessepac View Post
                            Gilmour's wife writes the majority of his lyrics, by the way, but his delivery is fantastic
                            Yeah, I forgot about that. Polly Gilmour it is, then. David as a side lyricist.

Comment

If you give him some leeway on his growled vocals, Mike Akerfeldt tends to write pretty good lyrics, as well. He tends to write thematically (narration many times), so that does make it a little easier.

Comment

Not that this matters at all, but Gilmour is also about a thousand times better a vocalist than Waters. Just saying. Lyricist, too.
                                A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Working...
                                X