Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

When you love the music dredg is putting out it's easy to look past the lyrics. When you don't love the music they're putting out it is easy to focus and nitpick the lyrics because it's the most obvious aspect to look at.

Regardless if it is good
    Even if it is bad
    Their lyrics have always been sad
    Have always been sad

Comment

I understand that. I'm just not being too judgmental (and not that others are) because I write lyrics for projects I am involved in and it's definitely difficult. Sometimes you get something you really like and sometimes you get something that you don't really like. But if somebody sings in the band - words need to be involved. Quite honestly, if I look through my CD collection and read lyrics I can look at them in two ways, "Man, this is corny" or "Man, I understand what they are trying to convey". I have respect for anybody that writes lyrics and puts themselves out there. But good or bad lyrics aside, Gavin's voice is amazing.

Comment

It's funny because back when El Cielo came out and I was trying to show that album to everyone I knew, 75% of the people were completely turned off by the vocals. Now, in the more recent past when I have introduced people to CWA and PPD, the vocals are what keeps them engaged.
        Originally posted by vsd
        ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
          It's funny because back when El Cielo came out and I was trying to show that album to everyone I knew, 75% of the people were completely turned off by the vocals. Now, in the more recent past when I have introduced people to CWA and PPD, the vocals are what keeps them engaged.
          Opposite for me. Well, kinda. most people I show dredg to altogether aren't a big fan of the vocals, but they like El Cielo because at least the cheese is at a minimum and everything feels so epic that it's hard to deny that it's good.

Comment

Originally posted by rossimo View Post
            Regardless if it is good
            Even if it is bad
            Their lyrics have always been sad
            Have always been sad
            Are you Rebecca Black's songwriter?
            (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by efpdwd View Post
              Seriously? In the context of the verse lyrics and the message of the song, the words chosen for the chorus are simply perfect.
              If you say so. I think what he is trying to say is decent, but the words chosen are utterly terrible. Stating something and stating it poetically are two entirely different animals.
              ---
              I understand that. I'm just not being too judgmental (and not that others are) because I write lyrics for projects I am involved in and it's definitely difficult. Sometimes you get something you really like and sometimes you get something that you don't really like. But if somebody sings in the band - words need to be involved. Quite honestly, if I look through my CD collection and read lyrics I can look at them in two ways, "Man, this is corny" or "Man, I understand what they are trying to convey". I have respect for anybody that writes lyrics and puts themselves out there. But good or bad lyrics aside, Gavin's voice is amazing.
              I write, too. I also go back a day later and cringe at some things I write. I then either rework it or 86 it. If I ever do get around to trying to get that stuff published, you can bet your ass I'm going to make sure it passes muster before running with it.
              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                If you say so. I think what he is trying to say is decent, but the words chosen are utterly terrible. Stating something and stating it poetically are two entirely different animals.
                True. But I see poetry in the way he presented it here but you don't and that's cool.

Comment

Serious question: I'm interested in everyone's favorite lyric writers. Who brings it every time?
                  Originally posted by vsd

Comment

True. But I see poetry in the way he presented it here but you don't and that's cool.
                    And some people consider Jackson Pollock a fine artist. To each his own.

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
                      I write, too. I also go back a day later and cringe at some things I write. I then either rework it or 86 it. If I ever do get around to trying to get that stuff published, you can bet your ass I'm going to make sure it passes muster before running with it.
                      I write as well, and it's the same for me. I'm no stranger to writing cringe worthy stuff, I'm my own worst critic, but I've learned how to write to reduce or eliminate the cringes, and I surely go over everything with a fine toothed comb if it's going to be set in stone.

I agree though, it certainly isn't easy to put yourself out there as a frontman, but if you're going to do it you have to do it with care. It's probably the reason there's so few good singers out there. There's so much to have to pay attention to with proper balance: Will, Honesty, Emotion, Notes, Poetry, Timbre, Technique (Vibrato, Rasp) etc. And that's just the stuff somebody can control, actually being born with decent vocal cords is the hardest part... Some vocalists squander what momma gave them, others work to perfect it.

Comment

Serious question: I'm interested in everyone's favorite lyric writers. Who brings it every time?
                        Shannon Hoon was a great one. You can just hear his pain through his lyrics. His words just resonated in me when I heard them. Unfortunately, the demons that made his writing so sincere also killed him.

Mouthful of cavities
                        Your souls a bowl of jokes
                        And everyday you remind me
                        How I'm desperately in need

See, I got a lot of fiends around
                        And they're peaking through nothing new
                        They see you
                        They see everything you do

See everything on the inside, out

Oh, please give me a little more
                        And I'll push away those baby blues
                        Cause one of these days this will die
                        So will me and so will you

I write a letter to a friend of mine
                        I tell him how much I used to love watch him smile

See I haven't seen him smile in a little while

Haven't seen him smile in a little while

But, I know you're laughing from the inside out
                        Laughin' from the inside out
                        I know you're laughing from the inside out
                        Laughing from the inside
                        From the inside
                        From the inside
                        From the inside
                        From the inside out

Matt Talbot is one of the best of all-time.

I took a worn out strand of your cellophane hair and stretched it sideways
                        And though my mind slipped though between the sea beneath
                        My brain stopped working from the cold
                        I sort of strayed from what we know

And so I'll be like you and I'll do what's right
                        And win a love I don't deserve out on the ice tonight
                        Teach me the bluest song you know
                        The moon ain't comin' up and I swear to God tonight it feels like snow

Glad we got your hands warm so my arms can feel like trust again
                        I can promise true waves when the summer comes
                        The world still fits the same form we engraved when it all began
                        Maybe catch a new wave, feels right, feels right

So we ride whales and drag-race time
                        And knock the fires from the traces of trilobyte hives
                        You sleep like God inside her womb
                        And you see clearly to the silicon wasteland they left inside my mind

We lost the road now
                        Inject the charms
                        And we care for all of ours
                        We stand in rows now
                        Transfer alarms

Just like the Inuit with the promise song to come down and see
                        Your solvents frozen here on the petal rung
                        Is all we have to see enlarged inside as we espy the warming sea
                        Your breath diffused and never realized aside from where the panicked hide
                        And I, just a subtle lift provider on the other side

Neil Peart. Go listen to Permanent Waves and try to disagree.

Comment

Originally posted by FeebleFables View Post
                          I write as well, and it's the same for me. I'm no stranger to writing cringe worthy stuff, I'm my own worst critic, but I've learned how to write to reduce or eliminate the cringes, and I surely go over everything with a fine toothed comb if it's going to be set in stone.

I agree though, it certainly isn't easy to put yourself out there as a frontman, but if you're going to do it you have to do it with care. It's probably the reason there's so few good singers out there. There's so much to have to pay attention to with proper balance: Will, Honesty, Emotion, Notes, Poetry, Timbre, Technique (Vibrato, Rasp) etc. And that's just the stuff somebody can control, actually being born with decent vocal cords is the hardest part... Some vocalists squander what momma gave them, others work to perfect it.
                          That's why I think poetry has no business being compared to vocals.
                          Originally posted by vsd

Comment

This is absolutely true in my experience. My fiancee' loves the vocals on Catch and Pariah, but El Cielo doesn't do it for her. Even after she heard the new disc, the first thing she said she liked was Gavin's vocals.

Me, personally, I think the vocals on El Cielo are monotone and boring as hell, and definitely the weakest part of that album.

Comment

I think with each successive release Gavin gets better and better.

Comment

I think with each successive release Gavin gets better and better.
                                I have to disagree. I think his voice took a major dive around the time of CWA. The weight loss that he went through seemed to weaken his voice quite a bit, in my mind. I think his voice has sounded its best on El Cielo and TPTPTD. TPTPTD is my favorite as far as his vocal work. El Cielo is definitely a lot more constrained, but I think it worked very well on that album, and his voice just meshed with the sound.

Comment

Working...
                                X