Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
    Wow, this really is terrible. It just sounds busy and overly gainy. The production on this song is utterly garbage. I hope this is the last time they work with him. I'm starting to feel like this album is going to be dredg's Hold Your Fire.
    What was wrong with "Time Stand Still?"
    A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

Yeowch you guys are brutal. hahaha, Upon Returning isn't anything great, but Losing You is seriously amazing.

Comment

Originally posted by efpdwd View Post
        Wow. The live version of Upon Returning is way better. The bridge in the live version was really powerful and here it is just really subdued - I like how Mark's guitar wailed during that part. And it seems like this quality is really bad. I hope it sounds better on the album.
        It's not going to get much better. The clipping in the guitar is occurring when nothing else is clipping, so it's definitely track specific.
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by Fawst View Post
          What was wrong with "Time Stand Still?"
          The song is ok, but the video is embarrassingly cheesy.

Comment

Let me add to my previous post:

I do like the song. I just liked the live version better. What I liked about the live version isn't translated well in this version. I just really hope it sounds clearer and better mixed on the album.

Comment

Originally posted by UrSaviour View Post
              I loved the live version of Upon Returning and after a couple of listens I hate what Dan did to it. The live version flows way better. Is it just more or does the sound quality sound awful? It seems to me that there was some potential here that got rushed a bit too much... So far my opinion is that Dan completely raped dredg!
              i too agree that the production is rushed and though fucked up. so they tried something different, hope we'll see another album soon.
              i much more like the perfectionists dredg, than "no, don't record it again, it's good" Automator ideas...
              <- This dog is smoking a pipe.

Your argument is invalid.

Comment

Wow. The live version of Upon Returning is way better. The bridge in the live version was really powerful and here it is just really subdued - I like how Mark's guitar wailed during that part. And it seems like this quality is really bad. I hope it sounds better on the album.
                Ahh, you nailed it. The wailing guitar that hits right at "you're on your own..." is what made the song, and it's practically inaudible now. Essentially ruins the whole thing for me.

Comment

I just really hope it sounds clearer and better mixed on the album.
                  No doubt. If not, I will feel ripped off, honestly.
                  ---
                  Originally posted by radmir View Post
                  i much more like the perfectionists dredg, than "no, don't record it again, it's good" Automator ideas...
                  This. I don't know that the performance is the problem, though. The production and mixing are just downright terrible from what I've heard so far. How is this guy known as a good producer?

Comment

Maybe all of us just don't have the right speakers? Or left.
                    I'm a simple man. I like pretty dark-haired women and breakfast food.

Comment

Originally posted by muuki7 View Post
                      Maybe all of us just don't have the right speakers? Or left.
                      I'm listening in very good, noise-canceling headphones and it sounds like garbage. Now, the quality of the stream is not the greatest, but you can tell it goes way deeper than that.

With that said, I am decided to listen to the Fair to Midland demos since I'm going to see them twice in the next week. The production on those demos is better than what I'm hearing on this "official" release.

This all makes me very sad.

Comment

Yeah not feeling it. Didn't love the live version and this isn't much different. So far, Down Without A Fight is the most promising.

I think the best comparison I can make about this album is Radiohead's new one. Thom even admitted in interviews that he simply couldn't do another In Rainbows - it would take too much out of him/them. And unfortunately the album suffered because of it. Not one great song on the album, just a bunch of ideas. I'm feeling like the new dredg album might be suffering the same fate. Hope I'm wrong though.
                        ---
                        It's almost like they're trying to keep up with the times and crank albums out, but the beauty of dredg is in the craftsmanship, artistry, polish. Bleh.

Comment

I just listened to all the 30 second samples...this album is going to suck. I'm sorry, dredg, I F'in love you but this synth pop bullshit is the polar opposite of why I loved you in the first place.
                          We gotta break down these barricades, everyone has AIDS!

Comment

With that said, I am decided to listen to the Fair to Midland demos since I'm going to see them twice in the next week. The production on those demos is better than what I'm hearing on this "official" release.

This all makes me very sad.
                            Ironically, those demos also sound better than the album version of "Musical Chairs" that leaked recently. I'm becoming convinced that getting a big-name producer is just asking for trouble these days (with a few exceptions). Terry Date practically ruined CWOA, Dan shat all over this album if "Upon Returning" is any indication, and Joe Barresi appears to have neutered FtM with their upcoming release. Meanwhile, picking the little-known Rascovich for TPTPTD was probably the best decision dredg ever made. Hopefully they'll go back to him or someone else who's less established and bound to the "norms" of the industry for the next one.

Comment

very good, noise-canceling headphones
                              oxymoron

Comment

Originally posted by buzzingwhitenoise View Post
                                ...but the beauty of dredg is in the craftsmanship, artistry, Polish. Bleh.
                                -fixed.
                                <- This dog is smoking a pipe.

Your argument is invalid.

Comment

Working...
                                X