Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Go.
    Last edited by Gnomad; April 5, 2011, 05:33 PM.

Re: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Well honestly even if every other song on this album sucks (which they won't), I really enjoy the 4 we've heard (Upon Returning, The Ornament, TTOLY, and Where I'll End Up), so I know I can at least jam out with those ones.

I might be crazy, but did I read in maybe even more than 1 interview they Gavin (and I would assume the rest of the band) wants to release some more material next year?
    How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

Seriously, I haven't watched the listening video as that seems like a really shitty way to hear songs for the first time. I just hope The Thought of Losing You is a low point. I've tried, but it has not grown on me at all. I'll stick it in a box and bury it with Not That Simple and Ireland. I never really care to hear any of them ever again.
      Last edited by Gnomad; April 1, 2011, 05:11 AM. Reason: not helping
      I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
      I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
      A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
      To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

I think Dredg is trying too hard now.

Currently, their Chuckles image is coming across as bizarre, experimental and whacked out , but their music is bordering on standard pop rock these days. At least Catch Without Arms -- their pop rock masterpiece -- didn't fool you into believing the music would be the opposite of the image. Most of that music has a vibrant tone, and the art is vibrant as well. Alas, I have not heard all of Chuckles, but the image that I've seen up to this point does not sync well with the music this time around. At first glance, you'd think it was a new Residents record or whatever other unique band you can think of that relies on their off-beat image... but it's Dredg doing pop. It's misleading. It's David Lynch putting rainbows and unicorns on the cover of Lost Highway; Pixar putting a grizzly bear gnawing on teddy bear parts on Toy Story.

Comment

I see what you mean, but I really only got that impression from TTOLY, which is such a single-y song that it would be foolish to base your opinions about the album on that.

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofface View Post
            I see what you mean, but I really only got that impression from TTOLY, which is such a single-y song that it would be foolish to base your opinions about the album on that.
            At the same time, I can't help but base my opinion, at this point, on that one song. I know that singles are typically bonk, but I just feel like that song is particularly mediocre. I just remember the first time hearing Information, thinking, "Damn, this is going to be good," even if the song itself wasn't fantastic. It had a good feel. The production put energy into the song. This one just falls flat across the board. Basically, the worst that I imagined with Dan the Automator is true about the only song I've heard thus far.
            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Why start a new thread about this unless there is a leak? Is there a leak?
              Originally posted by Gnomad

Comment

There isn't a widespread leak, but I believe some people are in possession of it.

Comment

I have heard a couple of extra pieces, but I preferred to wait so I said no to full version. But yeah, it's out there.

Comment

Originally posted by Agoo View Post
                    I think Dredg is trying too hard now.

Currently, their Chuckles image is coming across as bizarre, experimental and whacked out , but their music is bordering on standard pop rock these days. At least Catch Without Arms -- their pop rock masterpiece -- didn't fool you into believing the music would be the opposite of the image. Most of that music has a vibrant tone, and the art is vibrant as well. Alas, I have not heard all of Chuckles, but the image that I've seen up to this point does not sync well with the music this time around. At first glance, you'd think it was a new Residents record or whatever other unique band you can think of that relies on their off-beat image... but it's Dredg doing pop. It's misleading. It's David Lynch putting rainbows and unicorns on the cover of Lost Highway; Pixar putting a grizzly bear gnawing on teddy bear parts on Toy Story.
                    I'm not sure they're trying too hard but rather they're being inconsistent. I do agree with your point though. Looking at the teasers and artwork one might expect an experimental-art pop record that takes the "dredg-sound" and makes it fun but fucked up. However, from what I've heard, that's not the case. It's actually quite accessible and harmless. We'll see I guess. I can't say I'm not worried though.

Comment

How can you not like "It's Not That Simple?" That's one of their greatest songs =)

I'm in the minority, I believe. I love TToLY, really didn't take to Upon Returning and haven't heard/been able to make any kind of reasonable judgement of the other two songs based on the Acid Test.
                      A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

cmon ppl, leak it, damn it, we want it, we will buy it

Comment

Originally posted by gderd View Post
                          cmon ppl, leak it, damn it, we want it, we will buy it

Comment

---
                            Too vague?

Comment

didn't say the magic word!

Comment

Working...
                              X