Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
    I'm really hoping the "watermark" is the chorus for The Tent and it will be removed from the actual album.
    HA! i don't get the 'tent' love on here. it's so repetitive

Comment

Silentbob - Yes. I, too, have waited years for them to write a folk song. It's glorious.
      words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Originally posted by SilentBob View Post
        How so?
        Do an internet search for Kalathat.

Comment

Originally posted by mmakara81 View Post
          HA! i don't get the 'tent' love on here. it's so repetitive
          The song is what I'd had hoped the record's direction was. Creepy lounge music and still fundamentally 'dredg'. However, that God awful chorus ruins it.

Comment

Originally posted by kata rokkar View Post
            The song is what I'd had hoped the record's direction was. Creepy lounge music and still fundamentally 'dredg'. However, that God awful chorus ruins it.
            i agree. i feel like if they were going for this style, this is the only song they got right. people keep harping on lyrics or choruses or whatever, but i think really, you don't have to have to be great at either of those things to make a great song. gavin has never been that great at lyrics. but he has made it work. he sings songs that i like. well he did, up until this album. this is the only song where it really works for me. it's not perfect either, i dislike how he says "and i'm comin home", but that's just a picky thing.

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
              i agree. i feel like if they were going for this style, this is the only song they got right. people keep harping on lyrics or choruses or whatever, but i think really, you don't have to have to be great at either of those things to make a great song. gavin has never been that great at lyrics. but he has made it work. he sings songs that i like. well he did, up until this album. this is the only song where it really works for me. it's not perfect either, i dislike how he says "and i'm comin home", but that's just a picky thing.
              I kind of see where you're coming from but "Gavin has never been that great at lyrics".

i really, really beg to differ. El Cielo/Catch Without Arms both had beautiful lyrics.
              How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

-Gnomad

Comment

Originally posted by sangreal314 View Post
                fiona apple
                DiNG!-DiNG!-DiNG!

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
                Godspeed! You Black Emperor
                Still haven't checked 'em out yet... Dammit.

Originally posted by Fawst View Post
                I really dig the black shirt with the two new versions of 易.
                ME TOO. Is it made of silk? The colors and the fabric look sexy as hell.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofface View Post
                  I kind of see where you're coming from but "Gavin has never been that great at lyrics".

i really, really beg to differ. El Cielo/Catch Without Arms both had beautiful lyrics.
                  i don't think so, i think it just worked with the music. i think the thing that is drawing show much attention to his lyrics on this album is the mediocre music they created this time.

Comment

Somebody is Laughing, to me, represents the pinnacle of the collaboration of dredg and Dan.

Comment

Originally posted by lotsofface View Post

Both albums had their share of cringe-worthy lines.
                      - -- --- ----

Comment

But CWOA did have Gavin's best line ever... "mangled tuna can car rests"
                        Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                        Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Alright, I've been spending the better part of the last 90 minutes taking various dredg tracks (Waterbourne, PPD demos, live tracks) and incorporating them into CAMS to create a longer, maybe even better flowing effort. I did the same with CWA after Waterbourne was released but certain tracks fit in actually fairly well with CAMS. It's something to do and adds replay value of the entire disc/playlist while incorporating some stuff from their catalogue. So far, this is where I'm at:

The Sounds Of Your Heart (Waterbourne)
                          Another Tribe
                          Upon Returning
                          The Tent
                          Somebody is Laughing
                          Down Without a Fight
                          The Old Has Returned (Waterbourne)
                          The Ornament
                          The Warbler (Live @ Fillmore, edited to remove Gavin's intro speech and crowd at the end)
                          The Thought of Losing You
                          It's Not Worth It (10.6.07 - Troubadour, edited to remove crowd/Gavin talking at the end)
                          Kalathat
                          Time Will Tell (PPD Demos)
                          Sun Goes Down
                          I Am What I Fucking Am (Waterbourne)
                          Where I'll End Up
                          I Wish I Was Like Them (Waterbourne)
                          Before It Began

There are others that I could find a spot for but this is my first go-around so we'll see how it goes and what changes could be made.

Any thoughts?

Edit: I will say there's a spot for Wonderous Miracle in there somewhere.
                          Last edited by Ciel0; April 14, 2011, 03:59 AM.

Comment

I still love The Warbler. I'd like a fuller, non-live version of that one day.
                            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by kata rokkar View Post
                              Seriously... besides that chorus i think the song is good. Throw in a good chorus and maybe a small workable bridge and you got yourself my favorite song on the album. That chorus is by far the worst thing they've ever ever written.

and as far as "gavin writing bad lyrics"... i used to be just a dude that loved music on here. Now i feel im a guy that loves music that also tries his hardest to write good music... and i just hate people that sit there and talk shit all day long when they haven't done anything to a degree of what gavin has done. El Cielo's lyrics are GENIUS, just like the whole album. Catch without arms for me was a little corny, but i think gavin's musical taste is a little corny. All together i enjoy his vocals and lyrics. And to say he writes "bad" lyrics, is just simply ignorant.

For instance, i dislike the band The Who very heavily. But for me to sit here and tell you that i thought they were all bad musicians i'd be a complete and utter idiot.

edit: also, one of my favorite dredg lyrics of all time are on this album. "believing positivity, breeds positive happenings"
                              Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
                                also, one of my favorite dredg lyrics of all time are on this album. "believing positivity, breeds positive happenings"
                                I have question for you. Do you think that bit is looking at that negatively, as if it were mocking that ideal, or is it reinforcing that idea? Because for me, that whole song is about how "taking the high road" sometimes gets you no where, but Gavin is weird sometimes and throws in a contradiction.

Comment

Working...
                                X