Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• efpdwd
    replied
    Re: Album Discussion: Chuckles and Mr. Squeezy

Finally got my MerchNOW package and for the first time this afternoon I listened to CAMS legally.

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

I am glad you understand what I mean.
    At this point I was very happy with the new songs. As I said, now I can "blame" Dan The Automator and the production as obviously the songs themselves are very much dredg, something I was not able to feel from the album. Now I can also understand dredg perspective better as well. And why they were not able to understand why many fans don't like the album. I guess they don't see that much of a difference in the new material.
    I just hope more fans will give them a chance on this tour as it is great! The Seattle venue was pretty empty unfortunately And from what I read on their FB, Portland one was not very good as well. This is sad. That was probably the best dredg show I've seen.
    Last edited by InfraredDream; July 25, 2011, 11:22 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

Works for me. I guess it's just personal preference. Though I can totally understand the preference of live drums, and if the programmed drums don't do anything for you on this album, I can see that too because I definitely hear the difference in the drums on Sang Real vs. Chuckles.

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

Yeah, hense the love for Sang Real as opposed to the negativity towards the new album.
    And I personally LOVE Dino's drumming, he is one very important part of the dredg sound and what I love about them. Live the drums are as great as always and I was very happy with that!

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

Yeah, they sound programmed and totally lifeless, which is a problem for the whole album.

And for the record, Meshuggah uses lots of programmed drums and they make it work. They also let the complexity speak for itself. Where's the swing in a computer, though?
    ---
    The original Matroshka was badass with the click track... It just doesn't work here.

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

OK, I don't know the terms really. What I feel/hear in the album is that drums sound sampled/programmed/machine or whatever you call it. They are different (better, IMO) live and the songs sound much more like dredg songs. They blended well in the whole set, I was happy with that, so I wanted to share it

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

I guess people don't understand what a drum machine is, or at least how dredg is using it. There's a difference between it and programmed drums. Programmed drums are like a player piano; you program it to play something and it plays it. A drum machine is like a keyboard; you tell each piece what sound to make and it makes it when you hit it. So Dino is playing every note. The drum is just setup to make a different sound than it normally would.

Leave a comment:

• evasivetear
    replied

sang real is all drum machine. people seem to like that song.

not really arguing with you, but just sayin...

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

Almost all I hear is a drum machine. Maybe it's just me (but I doubt it).
    Anyway, I don't wanna argue or anything, I just say the songs are much better live and are very much dredg songs, something I can't say for the album versions.

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

I still don't see how people are missing Dino on the CD. I hear him distinctly on every song.

Leave a comment:

• InfraredDream
    replied

A little bit of an off topic, but I absolutely LOVED the news songs live last night. Even one of my least likes Down Without a fight was awesome! I knew what I missed most in the album was Dino. Not it's proven. He was a killer live and so were the songs! I guess I can only blame Dan The Automator for the production. As live they sounded like dredg songs and were not out of place or something.
    The tour is great, I am very happy I was lucky enough to see this set!

Leave a comment:

• lotsofface
    replied

Yeah I remember Gavin saying that, although I bet if you quoted him with that he'd probably say that was taken out of context, or that he never said that, lol.

i have a feeling we'll see new material in about the same amount of time it took to make Chuckles.

Leave a comment:

• .cheapham.
    replied

Originally posted by evasivetear View Post
    when's the next new album coming out?
    Haven't they said in interviews they want to have a new album every two years now? Thought I remember Gavin saying that at some point recently.

Even if CAMS is their worst album so far, I love that it gave them a new reason to tour with some vigor. That's something, I'd say.

Leave a comment:

• lotsofface
    replied

Leave a comment:

• evasivetear
    replied

when's the next new album coming out?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X