Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Catch Without Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Album Discussion: Catch Without Arms

This album is mostly made awesome. Theres just two songs I can do without, but other than that I do not have a single complaint.
    http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
    seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

the thing I like most about this album is the b-sides. "Stationary Transient", "Uplifting News", and "Stone By Stone" are some of my favorite dredg songs.
      http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Originally posted by noclevername View Post
        the thing I like most about this album is the b-sides. "Stationary Transient", "Uplifting News", and "Stone By Stone" are some of my favorite dredg songs.
        i agree. stone by stone and uplifting are better than most of the album.

Comment

I Love Catch Without Arms....

my favourite song is Ode to The sun + Not That Simple...

the worst Bug eyes............

Comment

you know, i went back and listened to this album all the way through again today....

still a better album than 98% of everything else. Easily.
            http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

i love this album.
              i hate this album.
              both of these statements are true.

Comment

This album really does bring back memories of the summer when I picked it up from the local record store, so many memories and good times made listening to that album..

Comment

I think I tend to shrug this album off now as mostly being somewhat of a flop. I still can't get enough of Planting Seeds and Jamais Vu though.

Comment

Originally posted by IKnockStuffDown View Post
                    I think I tend to shrug this album off now as mostly being somewhat of a flop. I still can't get enough of Planting Seeds and Jamais Vu though.
                    I agree

Comment

For me it's not the album that was a flop, it was the transition from El Cielo to Cwoa. The songs individually don't bother me. I can imagine some stuck on other albums with much of a stretch, except for the sound/production. Instead, my problem is the album as a group. It's the one dredg album where I play random songs from, the others, I go to track 1 and listen from then on. With Cwoa, I just find a certain song and listen to it, or put together a random mix of cwoa tracks with bsides (stationary trans., on again off again, stone by stone, etc). What I also find interesting is that in that same mix I always put songs from the industry demo too. It's odd that those tracks were out BEFORE El Cielo yet sound more along the lines of Cwoa.
                      - Jon

----------------------------------------
                      Originally posted by gderd
                      dredg is the music I always searched for, the music that keeps in your mind the whole time, the music you remember when you're doing everything, it's the different music. the heart music
                      ----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
                        Me too.... but compared to their other stuff, it would be considered bad.
                        I have to agree with this... great album, hard to compare to other work

but look what CD it followed... the bar was up pretty high

You have to respect dredg for constantly changing the sound of there music.. many bands out there will go through 2 or 3 cd's before you can even see a change... that said.. I like the new sound of PPD better so far.. then I did when CWOA came out..

all in all... Catch.. was another good piece of work
                        ---
                        Originally posted by redmosqui View Post
                        For me it's not the album that was a flop, it was the transition from El Cielo to Cwoa.

I just read this after I posted my 2 cents... this about sums it up for me to... our minds are on the same track
                        Many Friends Yet Still A Loner!

THIS TREAUSURE HUNT IS LIKE CRACK!

Comment

Originally posted by redmosqui View Post
                          For me it's not the album that was a flop, it was the transition from El Cielo to Cwoa. The songs individually don't bother me. I can imagine some stuck on other albums with much of a stretch, except for the sound/production. Instead, my problem is the album as a group. It's the one dredg album where I play random songs from, the others, I go to track 1 and listen from then on. With Cwoa, I just find a certain song and listen to it, or put together a random mix of cwoa tracks with bsides (stationary trans., on again off again, stone by stone, etc). What I also find interesting is that in that same mix I always put songs from the industry demo too. It's odd that those tracks were out BEFORE El Cielo yet sound more along the lines of Cwoa.
                          That was almost exactly my point in saying it was a flop. I meant the album as a whole just doesn't feel like it should go together, and I have no problem skipping songs, whereas when I hear a song on El Cielo, I just want to listen to the album in it's entirety because it feels like it's a collective piece of work, and thus it should be listened to as a whole.

Comment

there are definitely some good songs on here coexisting with some of dredg's most mediocre work. honestly, this record mostly sounds like a stripped down version of the new album. i think if they would have spent as much time as they did on el cielo and PPD adding extra sounds and atmosphere and thrown in some classy instrumentals we would be talking about another classic dredg album. instead, it feels more like a blemish on their resume. even though i like CWA a decent amount more than leitmotif, i just think that the latter is much more cohesive and focused. so even though catch still has songs i listen to, it just doesn't have that extra effort that i now feel comfortable calling dredg's signature.
                            Originally posted by vsd
                            ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

i don't really "hate" this album, i mainly hate terry date. which is a shame because before i was fairly indifferent and thought that he had done some good work with other bands in the past. but terry date completely fucked dredg, and interscope couldn't have cared less.

there are amazing songs on this record, and there are good takes of every track on this record, but it really sounds like a b-side/demo compilation that i burned in my freetime composed of leaked demos and shit. it really does.

if you listen to the live versions of the songs and the tracks on the coquette demo, they sound infinitely better than the "final" album versions.

it's a great cd, and i enjoy listening to it, but if i take myself away from just enjoying the cd for a moment it becomes bittersweet as i realize what could have been.

but as i said i blame terry date. when somebody produces an album, they either let the band do their thing and don't get more involved than hitting the record button and making sure that all of the instruments are in tune, or they involve themselves to the point where the album bears little resemblance to the band's own material and ideas and has become a product of the producer's vision of "what sounds 'good'". also, i'm pretty sure that terry date doesn't really care for dredg. maybe he liked a couple of their songs, but it's obvious to anybody that listens to that album that he didn't have a fucking clue what he was doing with such a talented band.

if somebody wants to argue in defense of terry date, fuck you. no but srsly, what? "the band was apparently satisfied enough that they allowed the material to be released" well maybe, but when you're on a big major label, and they put you up in the "morning view" house, and they send this specific producer to work on the material, you don't really have any room to say anything like "this does not quite match my artistic vision". and if you do make a comment like that the label says "well you don't have to stay in that nice big house and work with a highly acclaimed producer." and whereas i'm sure that staying at a big house is not a priority for the band and they don't need a big name production team, if you tell your record label to go fuck themselves like that, you can expect to never play anywhere ever again due to corporate assholes ensuring that clubs won't book you.

the band made a compromise. could they have done better? probably, but this was a choice they made, they decided to go in there, check their opinions/egos at the door, and just shut up and do what terry date told them to do. unfortunately terry date is not a fan of music.

Comment

i would like to hear the band speak candidly about this. that album, terry date, interscope everything. they always said they were happy, no complaints, no pressure from interscope, etc. it's all in the past now, so i want the real story.

Comment

Working...
                                X