Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Catch Without Arms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Album Discussion: Catch Without Arms

The El Cielo vocals are the overprocessed ones, imo. They also get pretty monotonous.

The vocals on Catch had a lot more energy and variety in pitch. I thought he got a little too high on Pariah, but that's mostly my own frustration in not being able to sing along.
    Originally posted by vsd
    ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

What's funny to me is all the love that people had for Spitshine when album was leaked, but now it seems that everybody hates it. Still proves to be one of my favorites on the album, next to Ode. Zebraskin has always been and always will be my least favorite song on here, right there with Not That Simple and Sang Real.
      ---
      Originally posted by Frank Nit View Post
      The El Cielo vocals are the overprocessed ones, imo. They also get pretty monotonous.

The vocals on Catch had a lot more energy and variety in pitch. I thought he got a little too high on Pariah, but that's mostly my own frustration in not being able to sing along.
      The high pitches...is that another reason you don't like the vocals on El Cielo much too? Sanzen to me is just "forget about it, just listen and enjoy. You'll never reach that range, so don't bother trying!" Same with Whoa Is Me. But then again, my range is pretty low. I was a Bass II in high school choir.

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

Man, either my memory has been replaced or yours has. I do not remember anyone liking the album version of Spitshine. I guess I'm probably the one who is wrong since your opinion fundamentally debunks my recollection.
        ---
        The high pitches aren't really a legitimate gripe of mine. That was mostly a joke. I wouldn't exactly say that I dislike the vocals on El Cielo. I think they fit the overall mood of the album well. I just prefer a less operatic-style in general.
        Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
          I have to strain to imagine how anyone could prefer the CWOA vocals over El Cielo, but to each his own.
          jesus christ...how stubborn are dredg fans? lol

The vocals on Catch had a lot more energy and variety in pitch.
          this is exactly what i was going to say
          last.fm

Comment

Here you go, Frank.
            ---
            Originally posted by Lara View Post
            jesus christ...how stubborn are dredg fans? lol
            Well, they did say "but to each his own", which means they at least respect the opinions of others, just doesn't share the same opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by halcyon712 View Post
              Here you go, Frank.
              ---

Well, they did say "but to each his own", which means they at least respect the opinions of others, just doesn't share the same opinions.
              i do realize and i'm sorry if it will start some kind of conflict again.

and i know what he meant, but people do tend to make some heavy comments on this board ha
              last.fm

Comment

Monotonous? Maybe. But I'm just not seeing the overprocessed part at all. Again, I feel like his vocals live, and on underproduced demos like Coquette or IndustryDemo, sound much more like EC than CWOA.

I guess you might say he was trying too hard at the time he was recording them, or something like that, but I don't think the post-processing was heavy-handed.

Comment

I personally think Gavin's vocals progress all the time and I like them more with every record. The best thing about the new album is his vocals in my opinion. The main reason I don't listen Leitmotif that often are his vocals (meaning screaming for the most part) no matter how much I love the music there. So, in that respect I like vocals in CWOA much better than El Cielo. But don't think El Cielo is overprocessed compared to Catch in any way, vocals included.
                  Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

^this.

I also think Gavin's vocals on El Cielo were affected by his weight at the time as well.

(Gnomad, I'm changing that light bulb now...)

Comment

halcyon712, that topic was a blast from the past. Thanks!

InfraredDream, "overprocessed" was probably the wrong choice of words for me to use. What I meant to say is that the vocals on El Cielo have more studio effects than any other dredg release, for better or worse. It was a response to Corroded Halo's post about the vocals on CAMS, which I believe to have the fewest "touch-ups" since Leitmotif.
                      Originally posted by vsd

Comment

Oh, I see, that makes sense and I agree with that.

Comment

Side note: Spitshine may not have been hated on when the album first came out, but it has ended up being viewed as one of their worst by fans, and by themselves. Far more than any song on CAMS, it went downhill in a big way from live versions. They took out all the ferocity of the chorus and any weight Drew's bass had. I still enjoy it now and then, largely for the lyrics.
                          words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

I like Spitshine a lot and never understood all the hate towards it. Same with Matroshka (the Ornament) which was an instant favourite for me from the album.

Comment

Most people who hate it are upset at the difference from the live version. I wish I had never heard them, because it is a decent song. A good example of why this is so true is that the band has never played it live since the album came out.
                              words always ebbing, never flowing

Comment

Man, I love Spitshine and Matroshka. I was a new Dredg fan when CWA came out, so I never heard the leaked or live Spitshine before the album. Honestly though, Matroshka ties with Cartoon Show Room for my favorite Dredg song ever. It's such a beautiful and powerful song, I wish they played it live more than the couple times I've seen videos of.

On a side note, I'm listening to Astronomy Domine for the first time. I would really like to know what their thought process was writing this...haha.

Comment

Working...
                                X