Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

El Cielo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Album Discussion: El Cielo

fuck, you beat me to it

Comment

Originally posted by Gnomad View Post
      MUCH better!

I don't think I can wrap in words what I feel for El Cielo, that album is just amazing! It builds and atmosphere and puts you in a certain mood that is sooo deep and beautiful a bit scary, a bit exciting, but very emotional... It's just beautiful. Given my strong interest in the area of dreams - go figure. Totally love it!
      Many friends yet still a loner...

Comment

El Cielo would be at home between "Dark Side of the Moon" and "The Wall".

It's like Pink Floyd spawned children that formed their own band, minus the egos, and placed them in the modern world to do new art rock.
        A one track mind in a one way town
        Let's go ahead and gentrify
        We let art die with robot minds
        Steal the brush and paint boundary lines

Comment

In my opinion El Cielo is the bands best work. An absolutely amazing album. It is one of those that just cannot be topped but i do not feel that their newer stuff is any less amazing. I like a band that changes and doesnt try to sound the same on each record.

Comment

it finished #357 on the Sound Opinions Message Board top 500 albums of alltime poll that was done recently. 3 people voted for it including myself. But what I found interesting, yet not that surprising is the review they added from it from allmusic.com

"Dredg is one of those rare bands who truly cannot be categorized. Gavin Hayes' vocals cascade like a waterfall over a sea of scratching Latin rhythms, dulcimers, guitars in odd time signatures, and prog rock-inspired drums. Hayes shares his penchant for Bulgarian chants in "Triangle" and "Same Ol' Road." "Whoa Is Me" could provide the soundtrack to all things haunted. Whether it's a piano and strings or Cure-influenced (specifically the Cure's "Fascination Street") guitars, instruments fill the time between songs on El Cielo. They offer a respite from the monotony and the slow-fast-slow style of songwriting. In an odd moment at the end of "Whoa Is Me," a soft-spoken public radio DJ speaks of a jazz number from 1944. The full-throttle rocker "It Only Took a Day" is one of the highlights. El Cielo is unlikely to become a hit on commercial radio, but perhaps Dredg could find their niche on college stations." (2.5/5)
            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Whoever wrote that review can find a niche in my asshole.

Comment

That message board must not be very big if 3 people can get it to #357.
                Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
                Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

you can vote for up to 100 albums, and maybe 100 users voted. But if it receives a couple of pretty high votes, it's not that surprising.

edit: 108 Voters, 3031 Albums voted for.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by dredgmuse86 View Post
                    In my opinion El Cielo is the bands best work. An absolutely amazing album. It is one of those that just cannot be topped but i do not feel that their newer stuff is any less amazing. I like a band that changes and doesnt try to sound the same on each record.
                    Very true

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                      allmusic.com
                      has to be one of the most dumb fucking stupidest websites on the net. as far as i can tell everybody who reviews albums for them is completely retarded and has no taste in music whatsoever.

Comment

A pox on whoever wrote that review, of the most influential albums in my life El Cielo is right up there with the first time I heard Pink Floyd... bullocks to them.

Comment

I actually think that's a good review, even if it's not a in favor of the album. He finds the bands merits, but he doesn't like the album. It happens.

Comment

listened to it today for the first time this year.

i feel like it needs more songs like scissor lock. funny because i would never have guessed that i would say that a few years ago. i just feel like this album would be better with less fuzz, guess that would defeat the concept though.
                            Originally posted by vsd
                            ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

i still think this is there best album...

maybe one of the best of my time listening to music.
                              Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

Tied with Jeff Buckley's "Grace" as my favorite album of all time.
                                last.fm

Comment

Working...
                                X