Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Best of Youtube / Google Video

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied
    Re: Best of Youtube / Google Video

That is one of the funniest videos I've seen in a while. Wow. That could have been a solid Onion story.

Leave a comment:

• One Second Clubber
    replied

At first I thought, "you know what, there's some valid points being said." But then this Fiona Dias chick started talking. She says "This is not dark humor, this is not a joke" as they display a pedobear penn state image. I lost it... Hahahaha.

Dear Mrs. Dias,

It's hilarious.

Signed -
    The internet

Leave a comment:

• SimpatiK
    replied

The internet terrifies the real world.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

OH MY GOD! SOMETHING I DON'T UNDERSTAND! KILL IT!

Leave a comment:

• Knifeboy
    replied

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71MCA59Krls

Hilarious!

And depressing

But mostly hilarious!

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

I saw that. That was pretty interesting.

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

best thing i ever saw on this subject was the 30 for 30 tv show that morgan spurlock did. They had an atheist go and live with a christian family for 30 days and one thing that was apparent was the atheist woman was willing to learn and understand the christian families faith but the christian family was not privy to the atheists beliefs and didn't really want to understand her ideology at all. They asked questions like, "where is your literature that backs your faith?" and were extremely condescending. They didn't come of as very nice people when it came to accepting other peoples ways of life and that i can't stand in people.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

I don't even separate idealogical pricks into religious categories. They 're all the same kind of monkey, they just happen to be different colors. I've met sane atheists and same religious people alike. I'm willing to just leave it at "Some people are assholes."

Though I completely concede that it's very easy for me to live and let live, considering as a white, middle class male, I'm not persecuted directly by any religion I know of. As an American, possibly the more extremist islamic religions, but still, I have personally never had to deal with it. But, I'm not going to take a stance of righteousness. I was dealt a decent hand and I'm going to play it.

Probably adds nothing. But as with religion and non-religion alike, I'm not on any side. It all seems silly to me, just like this discussion.

Leave a comment:

• FeebleFables
    replied

For the record, I was simply defending science and atheism, until it was flipped around on me. So don’t freak out on me and call me a militant atheist for speaking my mind from here on. (or, well, go ahead, it just won’t carry any weight)

I think it’s worth noting that people will defend their positions vigorously regardless of labels being put on them from the other side of the argument. For example, I see a lot of generalization about atheism and atheists coming directly from people trying to protect against generalization of their own position.

I see it all the time, simply discussing atheism immediately throws people into a tizzy, probably because it’s such a simple and logical concept, that it itself on its own is threatening. Just look at this thread alone, this all started because some dude went on youtube to defend his right to insult religions. Like it or not, it IS a right to insult whatever you want, your only penalty is coming off as an asshole. People have the right to insult anybody for anything. Fat people, skinny people, old people, stupid people. It happens all the time. The risk? Being called a prick. That’s where we should have left this one, right? That’s all I thought when I watched it… I smirked and said “prick” though I agreed. Just as I would have had I watched somebody rant about their right to insult the morbidly obese, or what have you.

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
    I'll ignore the "supernatural claims" part, because that is also my main issue with religion...
    Well, I don’t think it’s fair to ignore it. Whether any of us like it or not, it is still the driving factor in most of the major religions in the world. But I’ll concede for the next point.

But I don't know of any religions that demand infringing on anyone's rights. Christians are told, at least in the Bible, that they are to follow man's laws as long as they do not conflict with God's laws. I'm not aware of any law, at least in America, that would conflict with those laws. It's not like there's a law requiring every person to kill their neighbor and covet his wife.
    But this is to ignore the fact that religion is so closely tied to government. There are PLENTY of laws based on Christian ideology oppressing individuals in America today. Gay rights, women’s rights with regards to abortion, sick people’s rights with regards to stem cell research, etc. You can’t get away from it, it starts at birth, a child gets raised and educated, and often indoctrinated, then goes on to pass on that indoctrination to others, maybe gets elected, and perhaps unwittingly uses the indoctrination to pass laws, not based on science or reason (which everybody should hope for) but rather, the indoctrinated principle. If this didn’t happen, I’m sure you’d rarely hear a peep from annoying atheists.

Let’s not even talk about sharia law.

There are bad people in all belief systems. A few rotten apples and the entire thing is vilified. It's the biggest problem I have with some of the more outspoken athiests, who as bushie has pointed out, use many of the same tactics as the radical Christians/Muslims/whatever: you're personally attacking a group of people based on a minority.
    Well, I can’t really speak to that, because I think EVERYBODY would benefit from being free from anybody else’s religion. And there’s only one position to take that doesn’t simply pit one vs. the other.

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

Originally posted by Sittingsideways View Post
    HEY!!! I want more stupid idiotic brain numbing videos. What is this shit?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8s7ZkrnAC0

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

Originally posted by FeebleFables View Post
    But if it's atheism vs. a religion that makes supernatural claims, or infringes on people's human rights
    I'll ignore the "supernatural claims" part, because that is also my main issue with religion...

But I don't know of any religions that demand infringing on anyone's rights. Christians are told, at least in the Bible, that they are to follow man's laws as long as they do not conflict with God's laws. I'm not aware of any law, at least in America, that would conflict with those laws. It's not like there's a law requiring every person to kill their neighbor and covet his wife.

There are bad people in all belief systems. A few rotten apples and the entire thing is vilified. It's the biggest problem I have with some of the more outspoken athiests, who as bushie has pointed out, use many of the same tactics as the radical Christians/Muslims/whatever: you're personally attacking a group of people based on a minority.

Leave a comment:

• SimpatiK
    replied

Fuck this, here's a sleeping sharpei.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCvAAXhuk5M

Leave a comment:

• Sittingsideways
    replied

HEY!!! I want more stupid idiotic brain numbing videos. What is this shit?

Leave a comment:

• FeebleFables
    replied

Originally posted by And we'll just put a happy little bush over here. View Post
    I had argued that an informed a critique of religion informed by religious studies provides atheists with more interesting and intriguing critiques of religion. This was a response to your disavowal of the field.
    Oh, well I wasn't critiquing religion, I was defending science and atheism.

But yes, you probably would find my critique of religion boring, because I'm completely irreligious, I don't find religion worthwhile or necessary in the slightest, let alone religious studies, that is to say, in any non-anthropological sense.

And to be honest, I don't really see atheists critique religions from the religious studies side much either... since it's not really necessary... I suppose Christopher Hitchens will do it occasionally. But if it's atheism vs. a religion that makes supernatural claims, or infringes on people's human rights then logic and reason will suffice. If it's atheism vs. a religion that doesn't make any supernatural claim or rights infringements... there isn't typically a debate. But I'm sure since you name dropped a few people, you have plenty to float your boat.
    Last edited by FeebleFables; November 7, 2011, 01:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X