Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

airbnb

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• airbnb

Anybody ever used airbnb? I'm looking into some trips into some of the more expensive cities in the US for both short (Chicago) and long-ish (New York, Boston, Washington) stays, and there are some nice places available for decent prices in most cities. But I don't know anyone that has ever used the service, so I'd like to get some thoughts on both positive and negative experiences.
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Re: airbnb

Hells yeahs I do. Well… We — Mostly my friends, I'm still yet to book something. My friends have booked places out in Italy and Spain so far and we've booked a place out in San Fran later this year. They've not had any problems using the site and the places they've been have always been incredible considering the price they're paying. Depending what you book, you'll compete with hostels on pricing.

So yeah, can't really tell you from experience, but I've heard good things and I can tell you later this year how it works out.
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

My biggest concern is how uncomfortable it has to seem to just show up at somebody's house you don't know and crash in one of their bedrooms. I also keep coming across people listing "full house/apartment" and then saying "I'll be sleeping in the living room". Then I don't have the full apartment, do I?

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

See, this is where Couch Surfing and AirBnB differ. Couch surfing sounds uncomfortable in the sense you're just crashing at someone's place and perhaps buying them some booze/dinner/howeveritworksonthatsite. You're abusing their good nature as it were. With AirBnB you're paying for the service, so you should expect the hosts to be total pro dudes and making sure your stay is clean, comfortable and awesome… As if you were in a hotel. For the "just a room" ones, it should be just like a regular Bed n Breakfast if you've stayed at any? You turn up, sleep, get fed (?)… pretty simple and you wouldn't feel alien to it at all… UNLESS you're socially inept!

Then I don't have the full apartment, do I?
        Eh? Report that, that's not really the deal with having the full apartment. But hunt around some more, I'm sure you'll find an actual full flat/apartment.
        (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Originally posted by cribble View Post
          See, this is where Couch Surfing and AirBnB differ. Couch surfing sounds uncomfortable in the sense you're just crashing at someone's place and perhaps buying them some booze/dinner/howeveritworksonthatsite. You're abusing their good nature as it were. With AirBnB you're paying for the service, so you should expect the hosts to be total pro dudes and making sure your stay is clean, comfortable and awesome… As if you were in a hotel. For the "just a room" ones, it should be just like a regular Bed n Breakfast if you've stayed at any? You turn up, sleep, get fed (?)… pretty simple and you wouldn't feel alien to it at all… UNLESS you're socially inept!

Eh? Report that, that's not really the deal with having the full apartment. But hunt around some more, I'm sure you'll find an actual full flat/apartment.
          For my trip to Chicago, I'm fine with just a bed. Getting there in early evening, heading out by mid-to-late morning for a baseball game, back in early evening and out early-ish the next morning. I've already been in contact with a few people, at like $40-45 a night within walking distance of the stadium. So $90-100 with fees for 2 nights vs $150/night before fees for a hotel.

But when I go to NYC, Washington DC, etc, I think I'd like to have my own place if possible.

And I'm not socially inept, but I hate small talk and awkward silences... so sometimes weird things happen
          Last edited by Ars Sycro; May 10, 2013, 05:08 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X