Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

New Bands

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Bands

Hey, everyone! I realize this place is a bit of a ghost town, but I was hoping some folks might stumble upon this and offer some new music to listen to. There aren't really any restrictions. The topic title says "new bands," but mostly I'm curious as to what folks have been listening to over the past couple of years.

Obviously, this being the messageboard of a (somewhat) aggressive rock band, I'm hoping to discover some new bands along the same lines. However, I know how difficult a task this was ten years ago, and based on the kids' tastes these days I am guessing a good rock band is a much scarcer find today. So, feel free to make this a best of 2010-2012 list spanning everything. My iPod is empty and waiting...
    Originally posted by vsd
    ...and to be frank...i think...

Re: New Bands

Pepe Deluxe
    Vuvuzela
    Bend Sinister
    Anathema
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Via Coma (saw them with The Trophy Fire)
      Air Formation ("Nothing to wish for, Nothing to lose" is an amazing album)
      You Walk Through Walls
      - -- --- ----

Comment

Half Moon Run
        Leech
        Frames (check out Don't Stay Here)
        Kokomo (check out Ein Dachs Hat Zweifel)
        Blast off, it's party time!

Comment

Justin Timberlake. Through a Mesa.
          (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Nice one, I'm alwqys in need of some new music too.
            Here some of what i listen to as of late:

Karnivool and there Sound Awake album (just recently discovered, but probably known here...)
            Antimatter - Fear of Unique Identity (after initial disappointment really grew on me)
            The National (grew on me)
            Anathema - Weather System (a year old and i still listen to it regularly, just a great album)
            Other Lives have some great songs like Dust Bowl III, Black tables, Don't let them)
            Khoma (from Sweden, even though i'm not too keen on their latest output)
            We are all part of the problem

Comment

Originally posted by amitface View Post
              Via Coma (saw them with The Trophy Fire)
              Air Formation ("Nothing to wish for, Nothing to lose" is an amazing album)
              You Walk Through Walls
              listening to Air Formation at the moment, sound good, songs are a bit similar imo but not bad. Thanks! You might wanna check out Velveteen, they sound similar.

Velveteen - Firework Special
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                listening to Air Formation at the moment, sound good, songs are a bit similar imo but not bad. Thanks! You might wanna check out Velveteen, they sound similar.

Velveteen - Firework Special
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzRHKoIMb5A
                Definitely a valid complaint, and I felt the same way when I started listening to them. The second half of that album is where it shines imo (Track 5 onwards)

This track by Velveteen is cool. Adding them to my Spotify collection (god, I love Spotify).
                - -- --- ----

Comment

weird, that song above I don't believe is from the band The Velvet Teen though. I happen to love their album Elysium.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by amitface View Post
                    Definitely a valid complaint, and I felt the same way when I started listening to them. The second half of that album is where it shines imo (Track 5 onwards)

This track by Velveteen is cool. Adding them to my Spotify collection (god, I love Spotify).
                    yeah, sometimes it takes some time to discover a song or album. And it has some nice songs on it, just felt that they all sounded a tad similar. But I'll give it another try. I liked 'you walk through walls' better and from what i read it's some of the band members of Air Formation?

As for Velveteen (it's a German band written exactly like that ), Home Waters is a good album. other than that they have, in my eyes, a similar 'problem' as Air Formation (well it may just be a matter of taste ), namely that they at times just sound a bit monotonous and thus to me a bit boring. But at other times they have those great melodies like in Fireworks Special.

Comment

Originally posted by Morpheus View Post
                      yeah, sometimes it takes some time to discover a song or album. And it has some nice songs on it, just felt that they all sounded a tad similar. But I'll give it another try. I liked 'you walk through walls' better and from what i read it's some of the band members of Air Formation?

As for Velveteen (it's a German band written exactly like that ), Home Waters is a good album. other than that they have, in my eyes, a similar 'problem' as Air Formation (well it may just be a matter of taste ), namely that they at times just sound a bit monotonous and thus to me a bit boring. But at other times they have those great melodies like in Fireworks Special.
                      Air Formation broke up two years ago and the drummer and singer formed You Walk Through Walls. They've only released an EP so far, which I like a lot.

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
                      weird, that song above I don't believe is from the band The Velvet Teen though. I happen to love their album Elysium.
                      Like Morpheus said above, a different band. I was confused too at first.

Speaking of The Velvet Teen though: the recent thread here about By Sunlight introduced me to this sampler from their record label Side With Us. Lots of cool bands on it, including The Velvet Teen.

I'm really digging:
                      Survival Guide
                      You Are Plural

Also started listening again to a band I hadn't heard in almost a decade. I'm almost positive I read about them here: Sputnik Monroe

I wish this forum wasn't dead. I used to get so much music from you guys back in the day.
                      - -- --- ----

Comment

That sampler has some really good stuff in it. I'm glad I posted it if at least one other person got something out of it!

And I agree, a lot of the bands/albums I listen to most I learned of from here (Undo, By Sunlight, Doves). Used to get a ton of good suggestions here.
                        A vest has no sleeves.

Comment

I wish it wasn't either. I think if some of the popular bands of the past were more active (Kaddisfly, Fair to Midland, Porcupine Tree), it still would be as well. And of course the band themselves.

I tend to hit up this place, The Dear Hunter, Incubus, The Mars Volta and Coheed forums a couple of times per week, but the activity really has dwindled in most of them. I guess everyone is on Facebook/Twitter and has a Blog like myself.

Facebook kind of killed the Message Board.
                          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Seriously now, here's what's been spinning recently (with Grooveshark/Spotify/album streams links)

Agent Fresco
                            Kinda like Dredg put through a math-rock class. The singer has gone on to work with Ólafur Arnalds on the new stuff (who I saw live recently, and it was simply outstanding). Speaking of which…

Greg Haines
                            Supported Ólafur that night and was very good. Most piano and ambients. Hard guy to pin down streams, but I recommend Digressions if you can find that.

Majeure
                            INTENSE SYNTH-WAVE ALERT!

Asbjørn
                            Danish synth alternative folk electronic thingy… I don't know. This album hooked me in upon first listen (which I didn't like, though I kept humming the melodies weeks after and just found myself crawling back to this). Singer has a semi-Thom Yorke vibe.

Japandroids
                            Summer's sorted. Just some straight up, rock, vibed to fuck.

White lung
                            Straight up, fast, hardcore punk with shouty lady singer.

Devil Sold His Soul
                            Almost forgot about these guys, dropped a new album last year just to remind everyone how ambient/post-metal is done.

Lymbyc Systym
                            Hopefully Symbolyst didn't fly under anyone's radar. If it did, give this a spin now.

DireWolves
                            French hardcore/metal/sludge band making it just the way I like it: Short! Oh, and killer.

And So I Watch You From Afar
                            Ho-ho-hooolllyyy shit, this is the best album. It's like they overheard what I liked and made an entire album JUST FOR ME! Ok, not really, but this is probably one of the best instrumental/math-rock albums I've heard in a while. Good songs, tons of epic moments, great feel-good vibe throughout. Outstanding album.

Dutch Uncles
                            You'll either like or love this guys voice, but the grooves and riffs and mathiness throughout the album is enough to keep you locked in and listening.

Autre Ne Veut
                            Intense synth/RnB pop. A bit Pitchfork/Urban Outfitters bummed, but ignore that hype, it's actually a real solid album and the live show was great too. It's like watching a man have a breakdown on stage.

And I'm done. *throws tissue in bin*
                            Last edited by cribble; May 14, 2013, 12:57 PM.
                            (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Comment

Awesome. Already loving Lymbyc Systym.
                              - -- --- ----

Comment

Working...
                              X