Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Traversing's Sports Talk Radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traversing's Sports Talk Radio

Please try to be serious and intelligent.
    You can talk about ANYTHING. Get stuff off your chest, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks it's common sense to have the start of September as the split between the regular season and playoffs in major league baseball? Shorten the regular season, expand the playoffs. Seriously...that makes me SO fucking angry. And my Brewers aren't even IN the playoff chase. If they were, I'd be even MORE upset.

PS: Does there REALLY have to be a Thursday NFL game in the opening week? Fuck, man. I need all the time I can get to make my picks!

PSS: 16 regular season games are enough!

Re: Traversing's Sports Talk Radio

Originally posted by dsv View Post
    Please try to be serious and intelligent.
    You can talk about ANYTHING. Get stuff off your chest, etc.

Am I the only one who thinks it's common sense to have the start of September as the split between the regular season and playoffs in major league baseball? Shorten the regular season, expand the playoffs. Seriously...that makes me SO fucking angry. And my Brewers aren't even IN the playoff chase. If they were, I'd be even MORE upset.

PS: Does there REALLY have to be a Thursday NFL game in the opening week? Fuck, man. I need all the time I can get to make my picks!

PSS: 16 regular season games are enough!
    Agreed on the baseball playoffs. Not only that but throw some more teams up in the mix.

I don't mind thursday football. Gives you something lovely to watch in the middle of the week.

If they're only gonna play 16 regular season games, they should cut 2 games off of preseason. 4 is too many either way.
    Google "Nutsack" and see what kind of pictures come up

Comment

^ Yes. I just wish Ars, OSC, auto and the likes would get in on this. Let's make Traversing a fucking kingdom of strength.

Comment

16 games is fucking weak.

Seriously, look at Premier League soccer. 38 season games + League cup + FA cup + international cups. Games to watch every day. It's what justifies the stars making millions.

What do NFL players do half of the year?

Comment

Consider the can of worms opened by SimpatiK...

First off, agreed on baseball. MLB Regular season is FAR too long...

I don't mind THIS thursday night game since its on NBC but the Thursday night games that start around Week 10 that are only on NFLN? Screw those. I have cable and can't buy the NFL Network if I wanted to... Such Crap. Though it's not the NFL's fault, it's the damn Cable Networks...

Also I am strongly against making the NFL Regular season longer. SimpatiK, I don't know if you noticed but the NFL is a group of incredibly large athletes that hit each other as hard and as fast as they can every down... This isn't Premier League where people fall over and flail about like their dying anytime there is contact made... Are there solid, hard hits in Premier League? Absolutely. In no way am I saying that "Soccer" players are weak and not talented. They clearly are in excellent shape and condition. I also understand the rules of "Soccer" so I understand why they do it... When comparing Premier League to NFL, the only fair comparison you can make is that it's a sport played with a ball...

I feel like extending the NFL Regular season will only create more meaningless games (we already have meaningless games at the end of 16 weeks) and it could possibly effect the playoffs due to fatigued players down the stretch getting injured in the "extra" games. I know that injuries are a part of the game and have to be dealt with but I feel like we don't need to be going out of our way to create more games (for entertainment) when all the extra games are going to do is possibly create more injuries and who says the 2 extra games are even going to be enjoyable \ a contest?

Another reason I'm against extending the regular season is the record books. I know that the season has already been extended to 16 games but I hate fact that somebody will become the new all time rushing\passing leader in a season because they had 2 extra games to do it... Not really a big deal for some but I personally love tradition in the NFL...
          Last edited by One Second Clubber; September 9, 2010, 10:19 PM.
          Originally posted by Ars Sycro
          I have a type. I like hot bitches.

Comment

To answer your question, they recover. NFL minicamps start in May, and the playoffs end at the beginning of February the following year. That leaves March and April for surgery, recovery time, and rehabilitation/training.

You can't compare what NFL players do to their bodies with what European soccer players do to theirs. There is no comparison. American football careers are short enough, and the amount of post-career difficulties far too great. We do not need more football games. Bringing back the USFL for the Spring would be nice, but NFL players are maxed out.
            Originally posted by vsd
            ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Originally posted by SimpatiK View Post
              Seriously, look at Premier League soccer.
              Maybe not Premier League but...

Basically, search Premier League Dives in youtube and see what you get...

What do NFL players do half of the year?
              Recover from these...
              Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Search NFL Big Hits in youtube and see what you get...

Comment

Yeah but they have full body armor for that shit. Dives are not as common in premier league as in southern european leagues. It's the most fucked thing that the federations don't deal with it. The only reason players dive in the first place is that they discovered that diving could give them an advantage.

Serious injuries occur in soccer alot. And most players are gone for at least some games of a season due to minor injuries. Teams deal with it because they always have more players to put in when someone gets injured.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Broken legs happen to a couple of players every season. Head traumas are not entirely uncommon.

What's more, hockey season streches to 80 + playoffs. Had they not regulated the more extreme tackles it would be a damn slaughterhouse.

I do enjoy watching football but more so if it went on for more than a few months every year and if it was a bit more fluid.

Comment

Wait... you enjoy football? You mean WORDLY football, right? What Americans call soccer? (This is me tip-toeing around a term because I don't want to get into an argument about football and soccer terminology)

Cause you would be the first non-American I've ever known of to like American Football.

Comment

I played Madden online the other night and played with an Australian... I was pretty shocked... He said that the NFL had a pretty good following down under... Who'd a thunk it?

Comment

No, i like american football. I've watched 2 superbowls and some random games, when it's good, it's real good, but it's so damn chopped up I have a hard time concentrating on the game. When I started watching season games last year it went on a commercial free network so they put in swedish commentaries where america had commercial breaks and documentaries about past years superbowl and closer looks on the teams. It was greatly helpful for learning more about the game. Would it be more fluid and the focus was on the game for at least the entire quarters, I'd enjoy as much as soccer.

Big pro for football over soccer is the constant inclusion of stats, I love that. If you want obscure stats such as passes/tackles made and metres run in soccer you'll have search far and wide.

How is soccer faring in america? I reckon David Beckham and Freddie Ljungberg are still more famous for modelling underwear than kicking the ball.

Comment

The only time Soccer is talked about in America is during the World Cup and the Olympics...

I watched the world cup this year and for the most part enjoyed it. When it's exciting, it's REALLY exciting. But the dives? I can't deal with it. And for the most part, I don't think the American (sports) society will ever be able to get past it either. We're used to watching football players brutally lay each other out and then get up and do it all over again on the next play. I mean, Ronnie Lott got his pinky crushed in a game and cut it off during the offseason.

...but back to soccer...

I feel like this years World Cup helped Americans get into soccer a bit more with USA doing as well as they did. Here in Kansas City, we had our downtown area (power and light district) packed with soccer fans shoulder to shoulder to watch the game. It was a pretty cool site.

After watching the World Cup this year, I went out and got a FIFA game for my 360 and I really enjoy soccer now. I love how soccer's time counts forward and how fluid the game is played. No breaks, just action.

And you're absolutely right about the commercials in American football. They sneak those damn things in as often as possible. Very annoying though crucial to the business end I guess. There's one thing in soccer though where if it got implemented into the NFL, I'd be pissed... And that's the Sponsorships of the team. NFL does it with their stadiums and I'm fine with that. But the second they start putting logos on our game day jerseys, I'm going to be pissed. Screw that noise... But then again, that comes back to me enjoying the tradition of the NFL.

Comment

C'mon, no on cares about olympic soccer.

I'm impressed by the referee system of football. You rarely see any bad decisions during the games. Soccer has a big problem there too. It goes hand in hand with the dives, but most importantly affects goals that the refs never saw and offsides. The fourth ref should definately be able monitor controversial decisions and communicate.

Comment

C'mon, no on cares about olympic soccer.

I'm impressed by the referee system of football. You rarely see any bad decisions during the games. Soccer has a big problem there too. It goes hand in hand with the dives, but most importantly affects goals that the refs never saw and offsides. The fourth ref should definately be able monitor controversial decisions and communicate.
                            Replay has helped a ton, but even that has it's limitations, see: SuperBowl XL.
                            Originally posted by vsd
                            ...and to be frank...i think...

Comment

Yeah, I can't even imagine how bad the calls are in soccer if you're telling me that you rarely see bad decisions cause I see them all the time. I can't remember the team or game or even year, but it was recently that a team got screwed out of the playoffs for a bad call. It was funny cause even the commentators were like "I can't believe that's the call. That's clearly wrong."

Comment

Working...
                              X