Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

The River Empires: Epilogue I LOVE THIS NEW ALBUM!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The River Empires: Epilogue I LOVE THIS NEW ALBUM!

Listen to music from The River Empires like The River Empires Theme I, Overture In Thales Summer & more. Find the latest tracks, albums, and images from The River Empires.

The River Empires
    Release Date:April 06, 2010
    Length:1:28

Volume 1
    1 The River Empires Theme I
    2 Overture In Thales Summer
    3 Our Neighbor, The Earth
    4 The Coventry
    5 Galloping Through Day Blooms
    6 The Harbourland
    7 From Faye To Astral
    8 A Toast To The Snake King
    9 The First Message
    10 Catacombs And Orchards
    11 Three Tigers
    12 Stag Hollow Fair
    13 Lull Of Celeste
    14 From Outside The Cellar
    15 Vcias In The Pines
    16 A Dimmer Lux
    17 Lillius

Volume 2
    18(1) Witches Blossom
    19(2) The Curse Of Maybel Cains
    20(3) Wildbriar
    21(4) The Motorbike
    22(5) The Pelican
    23(6) The Backyard In Sparkles
    24(7) Land Of Canoes
    25(8) Theon, The Fox
    26(9) An Elliptic Figure From Borelli
    27(10) The Marching Of The Clocks
    28(11) The Woods Of Northland
    29(12) The River Empires Theme II

Synopsis

A tale of two children- Hayden and River, who stumble upon a mystery that will seemingly cost them their lives.

The River Empires (band) is the soundtrack to the movie trilogy, The River Empires I,II, and II. Six albums will span across three films, two for each installment. Yet as the films will be told from beginning to end of the tale, the soundtracks will be released from end to beginning. This debut record does is not part of the six soundtracks, but an Epilogue to the entire film trilogy that is yet to be revealed. It is not a conclusion, but a thematic look back on what has not yet come to pass. The idea of this first, two-disc debut of The River Empires (band) is to eventually, after the films and all soundtracks are released, be a nostalgic look back on the beginning to the end of a beautiful yet terrifying story known as The River Empires.
    After four or five times all the way through hearing this 88-minute two-volume, 2-disc debut record, I have been pretty thoroughly won over. How or why that is? 1st of all, as for something that long that includes 29 track titles, it hardly feels that long. And the reason that is, the themes seem to flow from track-2-track. Many of the tracks are actually just short under-1-minute movements (or sound bytes). Others are instrumental pieces that hardly over-extend their welcome.

But after a couple of times through, of course a lot of the memorable parts, themes or melodies do stand out.

Our Neighbor, the Earth
    The Coventry
    The Harbourland
    A Toast to the Snake King
    Three Tigers
    From Outside the Cellar
    A Dimmer Lux
    Witches Blossom
    The Curse of Maybel Cains
    The Marching of the Clocks

Many of the elements about this record, that are worth noting, include: Suites, reoccurring themes, various chamber instruments including xylophone, (alto-saxophone?), cello, accordion, french horn, banjo, fiddle, and wonderful female vocal harmonies.

The lyrics and movements give the story a gradual yet still rewarding experience for the listener. Although not necessarily noticed until a few times through. Many songs have these sections that seem very meticulous. The themes are very rich, you can't help but get sucked in. Also it seems likely to notice many new things with each listening. Whether it be lyrically, or some subtle arrangement in the music.

This album very effectively tells a story, or paints a picture, while avoiding cheesiness, melodrama, or even pretentiousness. Something to keep in mind, is the fact it is a soundtrack for what is three motion pictures, the lead creator, Jessy Ribordy, plans to head up. It has the name "Epilogue" as part of it's title due to the fact it is the music that is a soundtrack for the entire story. What order the movies will be made-in, to go with these seven volumes (there will be five more volumes/albums). And whether the films will be made after the whole series of albums are finished being released, or as they are being-made, remains to be seen. But that is definitely something to follow in the future of this band/project.

This really doesn't include much guitar. In spots, there is some, but it's amazing how well the music works despite that fact. But for that reason, it doesn't seem like it has much actual "rock" sound, if there is such a thing. But the different instruments, including piano and drums, really fill the sound well enough. My guess is Casey Crescenzo had a fair amount to do with that and what is excellent production quality, very much on the level or worthy of the last two The Dear Hunter album's production.

This album could be described as folk, chamber-folk, chamber-bluegrass, progressive-folk, or many other things. I don't find it matters by lacking guitar, a highly technical or heavy part, it's style in no way hurts it's unique quality. In fact, I'd say it makes it more original. How many artists have combined folk and bluegrass music, this way? Not many. Sufjan Stevens or The Decemberists I suppose, but not really how this whole project is being approached with a story-arc and the music accompanying films (or the music really being "soundtracks" for the movies, rather than the other way around).

It also seems to be promoted or mentioned via some christian sources. I guess Jessy Ribordy and Josh Shroy's previous band, Falling Up, had some of their music lumped-in with the Christian Rock scene. But there is not much, if any obvious evidence of christian music on here. At least from hearing it enough times, even without reading the lyrics (yet). King's X and Mute Math were at one point treated as Christian Rock as well, but they never were.

I really can't recommend this record enough as I'd say it's probably the most ambitious album I've heard since Apes and Androids "Blood Moon" in 2008. And The Dear Hunter fans especially could find it worth their while given Casey actually is a member and is quite notice-ably involved with the song writing, album arrangement, and the production.
    Last edited by SoundscapeMN; April 28, 2010, 06:10 AM.
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Re: The River Empires: Epilogue I LOVE THIS NEW ALBUM!

this album is 5-stars, and easily the best record I've heard this year.

For anyone who may have purchased the hardcopy, the band uploaded "Witches Blossom" finally yesterday. It's the 1 track that failed to be included as-intended on the 1st printing of the cds.

http://myspace.com/theriverempires http://www.reverbnation.com/theriverempires
    allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

thanks for the recomendation. the sonds in the myspace sound really good and fresh

Comment

bump.

Kickstarter Campaign

This band/project have released to me, clearly the best record of 2010 in "Epilogue." Well now they are working on their 2nd record and are looking to do as much as they can with it budget-wise (as Jessy says in the video, he mentions more or less having to sell everything he could to fund the 1st one).

28 Days, $8,000.

WATCH THE VIDEO http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...-empires-album

I just pledged $25. When I win the Powerball one of these times, I imagine my pledge will go up
        allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

new song up "Five Circles"
          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Working...
          X