Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Record Store Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Record Store Day

Record Store Day

Gavin (lead singer, DREDG)

“Record stores are cultural gathering places where people go to share a common interest...their love for music. They are nostalgia and hot summer days. Record stores are ditching class to buy a record the day it comes out. They are Amoeba, Rasputin, and Aquarius and the distinct smell of the old records in the basement of the local mom and pop store. The record store is Run DMC on cassette tape. They are Iron Maiden posters, metal t-shirts and the magazine rack. The record store is a yellow and red Tower Records bag littered with CD labels. They are the listening stations, in store performances/signings, and staff recommendations. They are the used and local section and the free publications and zines at the front door. They are distributors of a product made up of dreams, effort, and heart that have the capability to change lives and outlooks, determine individuality, and divide or unite. ”

Go out and support your favorite little stinky record shop today.

Re: Record Store Day

Stinky record shop? Ok, I'm going to Amoeba tomorrow ALL DAY for the free swag!!!

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

I'll have to try and head over to Repo on South... The other indie store i had been going to closed around this time last year. :/
      Facebook / Twitter

Comment

yeah the only decent store here got shut down when an employee sold an undercover cop a "bong" instead of a "water pipe". So now kids around here get to form all of those memories in the cd aisle at Wal Mart.
        http://turntable.fm/traversing

BYOB

Comment

Today @ The Electric Fetus

Me: Hey Chris, do you know Kevin Gilbert?

Chris Cornell: Yeah, why?

Me: Because nobody seems to know who he is.
          allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Really? That was the only reason you asked?
            Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
            Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

I just wanted to see if he knew who he was. I didn't wait in line like the 100's of others or anything, not a fan. I just happened to be at the counter buying a cd when he walked-in and he was right in front of me.

Had he said "Yeah, I'm a fan" or something, I'd have tried to spend a few more seconds talking to him I suppose.
              allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I really do not understand your fascination with a guy that wrote a Sheryl Crow album.

Comment

I HAD TO miss out on the Jesus LIzard 7" package, which sux. Wanted it, but not feasible for the wallet this month...

Bought Silversun Pickups Pikul & Carnavas on vinyl and Neutral Milk Hotel on Vinyl... and Mountain Song 7" by Jane's

Kevin Gilbert re-did Kashmir and I love that track, his cover of Back In NYC is amazing (thanks Soundscape!). Kevin Gilbert is a talented guy, but I don't give a fuck that he wrote a Sheryl Crow album, that's to help pay his bills (this should be past tense, he passed away years ago), y'know!
                  Last edited by darshun; April 19, 2009, 06:08 PM. Reason: correction, Kevin Gilbert is no longer with us

My Skydrive:https://cid-efc3e98cdde49c31.skydriv....com/home.aspx

Comment

Originally posted by darshun View Post
                    Kevin Gilbert is a talented guy, but I don't give a fuck that he wrote a Sheryl Crow album, that's to help pay his bills, y'know!
                    Kevin Gilbert is fantastic. He was an extraordinary songwriter. Toy Matinee is wonderful, but Thud is practically a masterpiece, my favorite of his work that I have.

I've never listened to Crow's albums.

Comment

It's just unjustified how he's so unknown. The Sterile Cow record, actually, in some ways would be better to not have his name on it, as it's probably the worst thing he ever was a part of (altho most of the music would have turned out differently, had his band, the Tuesday Music Club, actually made the album the way they could/should have).

But his music still very easily could, and frankly should be much more widely available and known. I only cite JEFF BUCKLEY as to how and why this should be the case. 10 years ago, barely anyone knew who he was.

Toy Matinee and The Shaming of the True could reach a much larger audience than they have. THUD as well actually. Not to mention the fact his estate has hours upon hours worth of other really good music that hasn't seen the light of day.

So no, the Tuesday Night Music Club album is his one and only commercial footnote, and he deserves a helluva lot more than that.

Chris Cornell has probably done as much as anyone for Jeff Buckley's music since his death, and I figured, if he knew JB and has helped his music become what it has today, why couldn't he do the same with Kevin Gilbert? But I wasn't sure he even knew who he was (that's part of the problem, most people don't know his name still), but now I do.
                      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

well seeing how chris cornell and jeff buckley were actual friends, i don't see why you'd expect him to pay the same kind of lipservice to someone that most likely wasn't his friend

Comment

Working...
                        X