• Show
Clear All

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied
    Re: ................

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
    *a small percentage of bad people

(referring to how it is in scandinavia)
    And look at how much damage one guy with a couple of guns was able to do in Norway. Imagine if those campers had been locked and loaded. 7 casualties, including the perp. I do think our laws are lax on assault rifles and some high-powered rifles (there is no legitimate reason for me to own a Barrett M107), but the Right to Bear Arms has a very real importance. The right is intended to protect you FROM the government. When only the government owns guns, you are a very small step away from a military state.
    ---
    And Baton Rouge wins again! The Iranian-American arrested in the attempted assassination of the Saudi minister graduated from Southern University in Baton Rouge. He did only "graduate" from Southern after just 1 year there.

http://theadvocate.com/home/1061890-...bing-plot.html

Leave a comment:

• Knifeboy
    replied

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
    Why is it insane that you can legally buy guns? Should only *bad people own them?

Disclaimer: I do not own any guns.
    *a small percentage of bad people

(referring to how it is in scandinavia)

Leave a comment:

• Gnomad
    replied

You never know. At some point soon, we might be glad that we can legally buy guns now.

Leave a comment:

• Ars Sycro
    replied

Originally posted by SimpatiK View Post
    Oh well, it seems it wasn't a murder after all. Just a dead drunk in a stairwell. i did a search and it seems we've had 2 murders in 40 years in our 25K town.

I can understand that USA have more killings by firearms, and the insanity that people are allowed to legally buy them, but I don't get why US seems to have a larger portion of serial killers.
    Why is it insane that you can legally buy guns? Should only bad people own them?

Disclaimer: I do not own any guns.

Leave a comment:

• noclevername
    replied

I hear he's an alpaca.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

So, my current profession is as an Energy Engineer, right? I'm a Certified Energy Manager (CEM). The group that certifies a person as a CEM is the Association of Energy Engineers. This is the kind of organization that grows huge through pseudo-government activity. Anyway, remember that the word Engineer keeps popping up.

I just got a brochure about upcoming conferences and some of the "Keynote speakers," so-called "Stars of Energy." Who is listed? None other than Ed Begley, Jr. Oh no, I can't miss this opportunity to learn from a true expert on the topics. If I do end up going, I will put on some fake eyebrows and make several fake eyebrow jokes.

Leave a comment:

• Knifeboy
    replied

Haha. If I had I probably wouldn't be alive now

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

I saw the most stressed out person ever when I visited San Francisco. In a mcdonalds, a middleaged guy behind the counter serving 2 lines at the same time. He looked like Michael Douglas at his worst in Falling Down.

I saw something break inside through his eyes when I ordered 6 double cheeseburgers and 5 mcchickens
    You should have ordered them with no sesame seeds.

Leave a comment:

• Knifeboy
    replied

I saw the most stressed out person ever when I visited San Francisco. In a mcdonalds, a middleaged guy behind the counter serving 2 lines at the same time. He looked like Michael Douglas at his worst in Falling Down.

I saw something break inside through his eyes when I ordered 6 double cheeseburgers and 5 mcchickens

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

but I don't get why US seems to have a larger portion of serial killers.
    I think serial killers come from stressed out countries, honestly. Baton Rouge had a pretty impressive run, though.
    ---
    I have friends who own assault rifles, and most of my friends own handguns, but they aren't the ones I worry about. It's the thugs that break in and steal the guns. One of my friends specifically leaves his AK-47 and AR-15 (I know, I know) locked up in a safe in rural Arkansas. All he has at his house is a coach gun that he keeps in his closet for home defense, which he probably does need where he lives.

Leave a comment:

• Knifeboy
    replied

yeah.. It definitely seems like there's more to it than the gun issue
    ---
    also
    Oh well, it seems it wasn't a murder after all.
    What a bummer eh?

Leave a comment:

• SimpatiK
    replied

Oh well, it seems it wasn't a murder after all. Just a dead drunk in a stairwell. i did a search and it seems we've had 2 murders in 40 years in our 25K town.

I can understand that USA have more killings by firearms, and the insanity that people are allowed to legally buy them, but I don't get why US seems to have a larger portion of serial killers.

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

Land of the free, home of the brave
    It is worth noting that only one of the three, and his little sidekick, used a firearm. He did have the highest number, though. Maybe if that guy pumping gas had been carrying a nine....wait, sniper, nevermind. Which is interesting. You could have pulled that off with any decent hunting rifle, which will never been made illegal. They were using a Bushmaster XM-15, though.
    Last edited by AnewKINDofFEELING; October 11, 2011, 03:43 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Knifeboy
    replied

Land of the free, home of the brave

Leave a comment:

• AnewKINDofFEELING
    replied

We got a murder in our town. Exciting times.
    There have been 69 homicides in Baton Rouge so far this year. At least there aren't any active serial killers right now. We had a run of those a few years ago.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Derrick_Todd_Lee

He killed a coworker of mine's wife and massacred one of my neighbors in her house (within 100 yards of my apartment at the time). They were looking for a white truck that was seen transporting one of the bodies. I saw a matching vehicle parked in my dad's equipment lot and asked him, but he brushed it off because it was a black guy's truck, and all of the profilers, etc. said it was a white man. Turns out, it was the truck. My dad's employee had loaned it to his niece's boyfriend, Lee. The whole thing just hit really close to home.

Then there was the Beltway Sniper, John Allen Muhammad, born and raised in good old Baton Rouge. The whole "Beltway" aspect was slightly overblown. That killing spree crossed the country. The sister of the woman who cut my hair at the time was killed in Baton Rouge.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Allen_Muhammad

Luckily, I didn't have any connection to number 3:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sean_Vincent_Gillis

Hopefully there aren't any more out there. Now we're typically dealing with thug on thug crime, but there have been some violent home invasions in ares of town adjacent to hoods.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X