Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

This news is a bummer to me actually. Hopefully PT come back in full force in a few years, but I enjoyed many parts of FOABP and even more so The Incident. However I wouldn't mind in the least a little bit of a return to the sound from Lightbulb Sun, or Stupid Dream.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundscapeMN View Post
      Porcupine Tree are in-effect on HIATUS. Steven Wilson told Used Bin Radio a few weeks ago, they will comeback at some point, but not until they "reinvent" themselves.

Pretty much his focus is on his solo music and Storm Corrosion (along with more of those 5.1 and remixes of bands like King Crimson and Jethro Tull).
      I am not giving credence to the source of this information. Someone at All Media Reviews originally claimed they heard Steven Wilson tell this to Used Bin Radio, then they linked a post on the Prog Archives that was nothing more than an April Fool's prank:

"In essence, Porcupine Tree has probably run its course, I believe the band have reached a peak both musically and commercially and with my own change in musical direction, it would seem to me to be the appropriate time to put the band on a hiatus. I've enjoyed the extra freedom of being a solo artist and how it allows me to be more diverse than within the context of a band. I'm sure the band will appear again in some form, but not in the foreseeable future, I have a large backlog of musical ideas, I would like to see them come to fruition outside a band context, I trust most Porcupine Tree fans will see the greater picture and look forward to these exciting projects"
      This clown eventually came back and stated that even though the original quotes were part of an April Fool's prank, he knows for a fact Steven said those things because he heard it directly from Steven's own mouth. The reality is that none of this is earth shattering news on what has already evolved over the past two years. We should already have known PT was on hiatus, even if Steven has or has not said it. But that Porcupine Tree are in any way in trouble of breaking up or not making a new album in the next few years does not seem likely. What Steven has been factually recorded on audio as stating supports this. On more than one occasion since the Fall of 2011 he has said he would record another solo album with his current band lineup and that he expects that Porcupine Tree will make a new album. Granted, he may have indeed said the band were "on hiatus until they reinvent themselves" to this bloke in person, but I am skeptical until I see a legitimate source. But I think we can all read between the lines with what he has been saying and you have been under a rock if you have not already noticed that Porcupine Tree HAVE BEEN on hiatus since their last performance at the Royal Albert Hall in 2010. And as for "reinventing" themselves, that's very much a possibility seeing as how they've done that several times over their history. The years 1998, 2002, 2007 were all years that the band evolved, sometimes for better, sometimes for worse, depending on perspective. Right now, it is quite clear that Steven wants to do this classic progressive jazz style with these musicians he has and that is what he is into. But as has occurred throughout his career, he has always had a secondary or third project to explore ideas that are not entirely suited for Porcupine Tree (i.e., IEM, Bass Communion and now his own name and Storm Corrosion). But just because he talks about his excitement and willingness to cater to his solo project for a while or how it may indeed be his most important project from now on does not mean that Porcupine Tree are hanging it up. If the past is any indication, look for them to be back in the studio, probably in 2013, and we should have a new album in the next few years. That seems reasonable to me seeing as how busy Steven is now. And hopefully it will have been worth the wait. Fortunately we have Storm Corrosion and his solo stuff to tide us over.
      Last edited by plinian; April 29, 2012, 05:48 PM.

Comment

If someone misses Porcupine Trees popier side, and haven't checked out Ramona Falls - Intuit they're really doing themselves a disservice.
        While the albums don't really sound that much alike, everything I love about Lightbulb Sun and Stupid Dream is everything I love about Intuit
        Last edited by Knifeboy; May 4, 2012, 03:14 PM.

Comment

• something coming?...

allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

• Something here:
            Porcupine Tree - Harridan (Official Lyric Video)Harridan is taken from the band’s forthcoming eleventh album, CLOSURE / CONTINUATION - their first since 2009...
            I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
            I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
            A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
            To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

• yep. "Closure / Continuation" coming 6/24/22.
              PT returning in 2022..dredg as well?
              allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

• So far I like what I've heard! Looking forward to this!
                Blast off, it's party time!

Comment

• I definitely dig the new tune, but bummed bassist Colin Edwin and longtime tourin’ guitarist John Wesley are out.

I can’t wait to hear the whole album and hopefully catch a show on the next tour! Also need to decide if I’m gonna pony up fer the super deluxe vinyl or not. But then I’ll just want all of P.Tree on vinyl and that is cost prohibitive.

I casually enjoyed Steven Wilson’s solo output over the years, and had a great time at his show near me some three years ago!
                  Originally posted by Gnomad
                  How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Working...
                  X