Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Video for "Time Flies" is up here. Steven stated this was a homage to Pink Floyd. Obviously, it sounds like he brought David Gilmour in to record the guitar work:

Beautiful mellow song. Oh man, expectations for this album are absurd.

Comment

Hate to be Debbie Downer, but Steven's lyrics have steadily been grating more and more on my nerves since Blackfield II. Fear of a Blank Planet made me cringe at times ("a song comes onto my iPod, and I realize it's getting late" ... really?), and "Time Flies" isn't giving me high hopes for that facet of the new album. I feel like he's becoming too literal and specific, I guess... the lyrical theme of this song seems to be ripped straight from "Trains," which is probably my favorite PT track of all time, partially for its more subtle and elegant lyrical phrasings. I'm still quite interested in The Incident after hearing the sampler on their myspace, but I just thought I'd throw this out there and see who else agrees.

Comment

That video was actually hugely disappointing to me. I'm thinking the song may sound a lot better in 5.1, but it was really flat there and the lyrics were certainly way too direct. And the end of that video was terrible. Terrible.
        I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
        I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
        A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
        To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

I love the song, and enjoy Steven's new take on lyrics.

Comment

"Time Flies" single and video is edited. The album version or "segment" of the main track is 11m40s.

Comment

I've been a fan for years and really look forward to the album, but I have to agree with the critical comments about Time Flies. To my ears the song sounds like a complete rip off of Drown With Me. (At least they're only borrowing from themselves...) Just that Drown With Me had much more energy going on. The video is nicely done stylistically (although not being very original), but is much too repetitive and pointless for my taste.

Really hope that the rest of the album is much more original. On FOAP there was this passage that sounded like directly lifted from Trains, so I fear that PT (after a shitload of stunning and highly original albums) have finally begun to slowly run out of ideas in general. I'm all for repeating yourself if it's done with style and grace, but the kind of recycling done with Time Flies feels like a slap in the face to me as an all-absorbing PT listener.
              I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

Originally posted by bokkers View Post
                I've been a fan for years and really look forward to the album, but I have to agree with the critical comments about Time Flies. To my ears the song sounds like a complete rip off of Drown With Me. (At least they're only borrowing from themselves...) Just that Drown With Me had much more energy going on. The video is nicely done stylistically (although not being very original), but is much too repetitive and pointless for my taste.

Really hope that the rest of the album is much more original. On FOAP there was this passage that sounded like directly lifted from Trains, so I fear that PT (after a shitload of stunning and highly original albums) have finally begun to slowly run out of ideas in general. I'm all for repeating yourself if it's done with style and grace, but the kind of recycling done with Time Flies feels like a slap in the face to me as an all-absorbing PT listener.
                I knew something felt old and rehashed about this song, but couldn't put my finger on it... you're exactly right about the whole melodic theme being ripped from "Drown With Me" (one of their finest efforts, IMO). What's worse, the only part that really deviates from it -- that breakdown after the second chorus -- is even more noticeably ripped straight from "Prodigal."

I still think it's rather amusing that this was selected as the single. When they first posted the album sampler on their MySpace, I immediately found the "Time Flies" excerpt to be among the very weakest moments of it.

Comment

I have to agree with the critical comments about Time Flies. To my ears the song sounds like a complete rip off of Drown With Me.

Well, I think that Time Flies is a complete rip off of couple of songs from Pink Floyd - Animals.

Comment

Originally posted by Corroded Halo View Post
                    What's worse, the only part that really deviates from it -- that breakdown after the second chorus -- is even more noticeably ripped straight from "Prodigal."
                    Thanks, that in turn was the part I couldn't put my finger on rip-off wise. It's a beautiful song though. Should work fine for people who never heard either Drown With Me or Prodigal.

Originally posted by Hi-Fi View Post
                    Well, I think that Time Flies is a complete rip off of couple of songs from Pink Floyd - Animals.
                    Which ones?

Comment

well theres only 5 songs on Animals.
                      http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                      seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

True, but I have to bow down my head in shame and admit I don't have them memorized well enough to see the PT parallels...

Comment

I would help you out, but I haven't listened to his Porcupine Tree album.
                          http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                          seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

Which ones?
                            The main riff in 'Time Flies' with acoustic guitar is straight rip off of song 'Dogs', and that breakdown solo with distorsion in 'Time Flies' is straight rip off of song 'Sheep'. Those Pink Floyd songs are #2 and #4 on album 'Animals'.

I'm a huge, hard-core, Pink Floyd fan, so this rip off is really pissing me off. I will surely skip 'Time Flies' on new Porcupine Tree record.

Comment

Originally posted by Hi-Fi View Post
                              The main riff in 'Time Flies' with acoustic guitar is straight rip off of song 'Dogs', and that breakdown solo with distorsion in 'Time Flies' is straight rip off of song 'Sheep'. Those Pink Floyd songs are #2 and #4 on album 'Animals'.

I'm a huge, hard-core, Pink Floyd fan, so this rip off is really pissing me off. I will surely skip 'Time Flies' on new Porcupine Tree record.

I'm also a hard-core Pink Floyd fan. Yet I find it pretty comical this pissing you off. What the hell hasn't been done and copied and repeated hundreds of times already? In this case, Wilson said it was a homage to Pink Floyd and that era. For it to remind you of material from Floyd, in this case, Animals, shouldn't be exactly a shocker. Hell, I'm glad PTree targets on and emulates progressive music from that era. This isn't the first time they've made music that incorporates Floyd song structures. Listen to Voyage 34. The main guitar riff from the majority of the album is a straight out rip-off of ABitW. Where as "Time Flies" reminds me of Animals, it is still quite different. I already like the song, but am eager to hear the full unedited sequence.

Comment

Originally posted by plinian View Post
                                Listen to Voyage 34. The main guitar riff from the majority of the album is a straight out rip-off of ABitW.
                                That is the main reason why the Voyage 34 is the only PT album that I can't listen at all

I love when there is some kind of INFLUENCE of other bands in a song, but I don't like straight rip offs.

Anyway, Porcupine Tree is a great band, I love almost all their recordings, and I can't wait to hear the rest of new album.

Comment

Working...
                                X