Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Originally posted by SomeHomelessGuy View Post
    Maybe not 55 minutes, but if we're talking about long-form progressive music Tool and their long, drawn out songs come to mind. But whatever. I loved Arriving Somewhere, and I'm sure this will rock too.
    Yes comes to my mind when it comes to long songs....and DEFINITELY Fantomas (Delirium Cordia only...although the rest of their albums are all 1-3 minute long "songs")

FacebookTwitterdredg page

Comment

some bands have pulled off the single song on 1 cd.

Fates Warning (A Pleasant Shade of Gray)
      Green Carnation (Light of Day, Day of Darkness)

and even stuff like The Sky Moves Sideways and Voyage 34 could both be regarded as 1 song I suppose, and both eclipse an hour. However, I wonder since both of those are filled with spacey, ambient work that flows well that they don't seem so long. "The Incident" more likely will be like something such as "Anesthetize" which may hurt it for something that long.
      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I love Porcupine Tree but this 55 minute song better be a song with coherence and not just a 55 minutes song to have a 55 minute song. I wonder if it will only be tracked as one song or if it will be chopped into portions. I've seen both done on records with long songs.
        It is called 'Song Cycle' so I guess it's chopped.
        The O.C. Project
        http://lolo-extreme.myblog.de/
        Right? hoeh'?

Comment

Steven Wilson stated this album isn't as heavy as the previous two or three so in that sense, being that Anesthetize has the heaviest PT parts they've ever written, it may not be Anesthetize-ish at all.
          BLOG
          DEPTHS
          RABBIT HOLE

Comment

just noticed this on another board...

Just back from NYC....

A few tempting tidbits of info I am allowed to release...

The song cycle consists of 14 tracks of varying lengths. The longest track is 11:40 in length, and the shortest is 1:26. The picture that someone posted a link to from a video IS the album cover.

I have the track listing and lengths, and lyrics, but I am not going to post the lyrics so DON'T ask ...I will try to post the track titles and times as I was cleared to do so by SW and management, however, I am f**king brain dead at the moment it will have to wait until tomorrow, oh wait, it IS tomorrow already !!!! Well, later ....

First impressions:

To be completely honest this is an album I am going to need several listens to fully establish what I think and feel about it... It was almost too much to take in. It's very immersive, but also a bit schizophrenic, you'll see....

However, tracks 1, 2, 6, 9, 10, 11, 13, 14 stood out the most on first listen...

Track 9 (ok one title) Time Flies is quite the homage to Pink Floyd (YES, GASP !!!!!) tis true, and purposeful according to SW... Trust me, you'll see. This one spoke to me most...

There will be a deluxe edition of the release, think the deluxe edition of Insurgentes.

I can't think any more gotta sleeppppppp...

More tomorr...err, today....

SoD

PS: We were only treated to Flicker off the second cd and promo copies of the new cd will NOT include the ep, however, it WILL be a two disc set !!!
            not sure if this is the cover art or not.

allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Knifeboy View Post
              Sounds like they're slowly dissappearing up their own arses
              Haha, yeah, but in a good way. Looking forward to the album.
              I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

That synopsis excites me. Sounds like something I'll enjoy.
                I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

brief teaser doc
                  Official site of record label Elektra Music Group: Elektra Records, Fueled By Ramen, Roadrunner, Low Country Sound, Black Cement, Public Consumption, DTA Records

here's a lengthlier description, which I only skimmed last night when I got home. Taking it with a grain of salt..beyond the nods to Pink Floyd, I'm a bit wary, it may be true about my fear of them expanding on the Anesthestize writing approach. The thing has flow to me, and if it seems pieced-together like Anesthestize, for me, the band could be finding shark-jumping territory.

The Incident consists of 14 songs/interludes that make up the entire piece. I was told that most of what I am about to tell you was forthcoming in a press release by Road Runner, so they weren't too overly concerned about this info leaking a few days early to all you die hard hobbits !

So here it is:

Occam's Razor 1:55
                  The Blind House 5:47
                  Great Expectations 1:26
                  Kneel and Disconnect 2:03
                  Drawing the Line 4:43
                  The Incident 5:20
                  Your Unpleasant Family 1:48
                  The Yellow Windows of the Evening Train 2:00
                  Time Flies 11:40
                  Degree Zero of Liberty 1:45
                  Octane Twisted 5:03
                  The Séance 2:39
                  Circle of Manias 2:18
                  I Drive the Hearse 6:41

All tracks by SW except Octane Twisted and Circle of Manias which are group compositions (besides the 4 other pieces on the separate ep).

Like I posted this AM, I truly do not know what to make of the new PT. It was almost too overwhelming to take in at one sitting, and for me, certainly NOT a CD/LP I could just sit down and immediately come away with a definitive impression of from the moment I heard it. In most cases, for me anyway, this is normally a very good thing, as many of my all time fave records were ones that I wasn't immediately struck by, but I am not sure if this is how it will play out with the new PT, and I did not get a promo copy so I'll have to sit it out like everyone else until the CD is released to get my next listen...

Of the tracks I remember specifically, Time Flies (which I mentioned is very Floydian, but still very much a PT sounding track) was probably the most immediately memorable. It's not uber proggy, but it does reference Dogs and Time liberally (and bits of Run Like Hell and Sheep as well), but still sounds very contemporary and cool !!!! Steven told me this piece was specifically inspired by his childhood/growing up etc.

The Blind House was pretty immediate as well, retro PT acoustic references, harmonies, with some very heavy sustained guitar histrionics as well.

Circle of Manias is the real powerhouse riff monster (along with Octane Twisted if memory serves me right) with tons of Meshuggah-like riffs clashing and crashing along in a torrent of angular time changes and odd meters. This has a similar vibe to Mother and Child Divided, but is much heavier and more angular and f**ked up... Oh, yeah, on this one, SW plays a new Baritone guitar that PRS made for him exclusively !

Drive the Hearse was actually a surprise, as I expected it to be dark and heavy to coincide with the lyrics and song title, but it's not. It's more "song oriented" with a memorable chorus and some really lovely acoustic moments backed with some spooky/eerie synth textures and a soaring solo fade out...

The other track that really got my attention was The Incident, which is, well crushingly funky (as in heavy electronica funk), this song is twisted and really will kick ass live I am betting... Lot's of weird synthy textures and if I had to point to any specific reference point it would be Sleep Together, but without all the strings. This track is more streamlined and stealthy...

Only one major disconnect for me that stood out from the listening session, and that was Drawing the Line. This might be the first PT song I can honestly say I immediately did NOT like much at all right away... Not digging the chorus at all and actually felt uncomfortable listening to it, which was a weird experience. It may grow on me , but somehow I doubt it... Please don't let my opinion cloud yours though when you finally get and opportunity to check it out !

The rest of the experience is all just too fuzzy at this point, sleep deprivation is clouding my memory and judgment so I'll stop there on my review of the individual and the whole...

Again, I think this is definitely a situation where it's going to take a few listens for me to fully wrap my head around and appreciate what is going on in this new release... I will say this though, it was my impression that this music was definitely inspired by and influenced by SW's experiences making Insurgentes. I can't put my finger on it, but I had a distinct feeling that Insurgentes had a profound effect on his writing for this new PT project. Perhaps it's just me, but we shall see....

A couple of tidbits extra.

In the video the opening sequence of guitar chords is from Occam's Razor which opens the album, and the synthy freak out bits Richard is playing is (I believe) from The Incident. Also, the acoustic bit SW's is playing is from Time Flies. The rest of the snippets of music are too short and detached from the rest of the recordings for me to place after just one sitting.

Oh one last juicy bit....

Another city/venue will be added in the coming days for the 9/26. There will NOT be another NYC show, however, there will be another East Coast show within a 4 hr drive of NYC. Won't say whether it's N or S of NY, but if you think real hard you should be able to narrow it down to one or two places...

Probably a lot more to tell, but just too burnt out to remember at present...

SoD
                  Contd:

I am sure more will be revealed soon enough. SW told us that there will be more "guitars" on this tour than ever before... Probably a million other things I am now forgetting, but that's it for now...

Hope all you monkey's are excited and satisfied with the field report... !! )

SoD
                  I think I heard elements of all of those records in The Incident, but remember we are talking SW and the whole is a sum of the parts and this is not different. The PT personality is there, the old and the new, the borrowed and the blue etc etc ... However, I honestly couldn't look any of you in the face and make the statement: It sounded like Signify, or Stupid Dream, or Fear, because I heard elements of all of those recordings in there last night, but I also heard some things I hadn't directly heard on a PT album before ...

I do know I heard a sh*t load of Floyd in Time Flies, but that is NOT a bad thing and it was, according to SW, without question intentional ! Still, it was done in a way that was entirely within the character of PT if that makes any sense...

Again, the only major new element (and it's not really new, but let's say a bit more experimental for the sake of "giving it a name", was the influence of Insurgentes, which again is an SW product so the apple is not going to fall on the other side of the world from the tree if you get my metaphor...

I wish I could fully encapsulate my impressions of the album into words that would help you to better envision what it sounded like to me last night, but it's just not happening , and besides, it's all about what YOU all think of it when you finally get to hear it...

OK, so with that said, I am not going to make any further statements about my impressions of the music because I do not want to over think or over engineer my own thoughts at this point and I definitely do not want my impressions to overtly influence any one else's experience...

Hope that helps a little moonlight ...

SoD
                  And comment by some other guy:

Overall I agree with a lot of what you said. The Incident was a lot to absorb at once but I really came away thinking it was good. I also agree about I Drive the Hearse being a surprise, I was half expecting him to go for his first death metal growl based on the lyrics.

I think the thing that struck me the most was the massive difference between The Incident and Flicker. The Incident is really experimental, and as I said to SW, is sure to turn some heads.
                  Last edited by SoundscapeMN; June 18, 2009, 10:24 PM.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I'm interested in how the songs will transition into each other.

Comment

album preview is up on their myspace now.

Porcupine Tree's profile including the latest music, albums, songs, music videos and more updates.
                      allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

I love just about everything I've heard from that sampler. Can't wait for this!
                        BLOG
                        DEPTHS
                        RABBIT HOLE

Comment

Sounds almost EXACTLY like Fear Of A Blank Planet...dunno how much I'd like that.

Comment

I may go see them at the new Club Nokia here in LA.

Comment

Here's a sampler from The Incident:

Sorry it has already been posted

Comment

Originally posted by duncang View Post
                                Sounds almost EXACTLY like Fear Of A Blank Planet...dunno how much I'd like that.
                                Didn't think so at all. Haha.
                                BLOG
                                DEPTHS
                                RABBIT HOLE

Comment

Working...
                                X