Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

I should have mine either tomorrow or Wednesday! I can hold out till then.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    How many dredg fans does it take to change a lightbulb?

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

Porcupine Tree is a band I haven't been able to decide if I like or not for about 6 years. Sometimes I listen to the older stuff and the live stuff like Coma Divine and I think they're brilliant, other times it just strikes me a unimaginative and boring. I will say In Absentia is pretty damn good though and although the lyrics suck on a lot of it, FOABP was solid musically. I thought Deadwing was absolute crap though for some reason with the single exception of Arriving Somewhere, which was saved mostly by the awesome Mikael Akerfelt solo.

I should probably go see them. Heard good things about their live show.

Comment

My deluxe edition better come this week! Dying to get it.
        BLOG
        DEPTHS
        RABBIT HOLE

Comment

I'm sure my dad has the DTS mix on pre-order. Can't wait to hear it. I think it's probably going to lend itself very nicely to that medium. It seems that he has taken to writing major soundscapes and the stereo mixes are kind of flat. That's just my untrained opinion, though. I love the production of the older stuff. Chris Maitland will always hold a special place in my heart.
          ---
          I'm liking disc 2 WAY more than disc 1 so far.
          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by noresolution View Post
            Porcupine Tree is a band I haven't been able to decide if I like or not for about 6 years. Sometimes I listen to the older stuff and the live stuff like Coma Divine and I think they're brilliant, other times it just strikes me a unimaginative and boring. I will say In Absentia is pretty damn good though and although the lyrics suck on a lot of it, FOABP was solid musically. I thought Deadwing was absolute crap though for some reason with the single exception of Arriving Somewhere, which was saved mostly by the awesome Mikael Akerfelt solo.

I should probably go see them. Heard good things about their live show.
            I know what you mean, even though I'm definitely a fan of theirs. SW has stated in interviews that his favorite aspect of the musical process is production, and sometimes I get the feeling that may be a reason why his work can come off as slightly "unimaginative," "predictable" or "uninspired;" perhaps he writes songs more as an excuse to tinker with sound files and produce a record than just for the sake of writing them.

I also find the highlight of their career to be the span of albums from Signify to Lightbulb Sun, and while I also love the metal-based sound they evolved into starting with In Absentia, I feel like things have became slightly formulaic and predictable since Deadwing (including this newest album, after several listens now). The lyrics on The Incident are nowhere near as bad as FoaBP, but still make me groan in a few spots.

Comment

I don't like Signify that much. Not that many great songs. Deadwing and Stupid Dream are my top picks. The Incident is about the same as FOABP. Can't decide if it's better or worse yet.

Comment

Yay, the special edition is here! Puttin' it on right now, thoughts later...

Seven. One to change it, five to complain that the old one was better, and one talk about Gavins weight.

Comment

it's a strong 4-star record right now for me. The themes and flow of the whole thing works. It doesn't feel 76 minutes long.
                  allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Gonna take a few listens to digest the new album, but I like it so far. Not as much as older material like Stupid Dream or Lightbulb Sun. Didn't know the packaging was this big for the LE though. Now I just need a working 5.1 system to really listen to this on!

Comment

• Re: Porcupine Tree's new album "The Incident" (2009)

Some parts of the album remind me a bit of Neurosis, but in a good way.
                      I can see a washed out moon through the fog.

Comment

My deluxe 9 lb preorder came. yaay.
                        BLOG
                        DEPTHS
                        RABBIT HOLE

Comment

re: Pink Floyd's Animals and "Time Flies":

Talking about Time Flies, it's quite different from the rest of the songs. Was it composed together with the other songs ?

It was, it was composed with the rest of the songs. The whole album, the whole piece was composed in the sequence you're hearing. So Time Flies was composed immediately after Yellow Windows of the Evening Train, immediately before the next piece. The reason Time Flies is different is because it's supposed to be about me, my childhood, what formed me and also what formed me as a musician. The musical reference in it relate more to the music I grew up with. So you hear a very deliberate reference to Pink Floyd for example. The first album I ever bought was Animals. There's a riff in there that's very similar, just different enough to not get sued. There are also musical clues as well as lyrical clues to me growing up and to what created me as a musician, what created me as a person. That's one of the reasons why musically it does take you into a different area perhaps to some of the rest of the record.

Comment

I hate how people think Wilson rips off Floyd. It was pretty easy to tell it was deliberate. He's always been a humble and honest musician that even admits that his music easily expresses his influences. It happens for EVERY MUSICIAN EVER, but most of them are just stuck up pricks and think whatever they've written is brand spanking new. Nope. If you're a musician, whatever you're writing most likely reminds you of something that you listen to that you love. Admit it.

And people call Steven Wilson pretentious. Ignorant pricks.
                            BLOG
                            DEPTHS
                            RABBIT HOLE

Comment

This is the second time he has used Pink Floyd as a basis (Voyage 34). I think most people here understand the idea behind it.
                              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
                              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
                              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
                              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

bump.

new video for "Bonnie the Cat"

also I found this video on youtube just a bit ago of Steven Wilson smashing an ipod. I found it good for a laugh.

Steven Wilson of Porcupine Tree smashes my friend's Ipod before the Portland show (9/16/09). Colin tapes us, Gavin makes a short appearance. IT WAS A HOLY MO...
                                allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

Working...
                                X