Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

Bands You Discovered in 2008 (share the love maaan)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bands You Discovered in 2008 (share the love maaan)

bands I either caught live opening for someone else or heard about through the grapevine who truly rock and blow me away... These artists are forward moving with a classic sensibility... worth checking out

Consider The Source [myspace.com/considerthemusic] 3 piece Progressive/Psychedelic/Jam Band from NYC. These guys surely are a sight to see. They're composed of Gabriel Marin on Fretless Guitar, Fretless Chaturangui (22-String Indian Slide Guitar -- dude never whips out a straight up guitar), John Ferrara on 4&5 String Basses and Justin Ahiyon on the drum set, percussion, samples. These dudes had me absolutely mesmerized.

Jolly [myspace.com/jollyband] - 4 piece mellow, melodic progressive rock band in the vein of Porcupine Tree. I heard their demo/ep and immediately felt like it's exactly what my ears have been searching for.

Back Door Slam [myspace.com/backdoorslam] - 3 piece Blues Rock band from Isle of Man. They're each 21, but have incredible chops. They're currently on tour with Gov't Mule. They are Davy Knowles (vocals, lead guitar, mandolin, lap steel), Ross Doyle (drums) and Adam Jones (bass).

Sam Kininger Band [myspace.com/samkiningerband] - Funk/jazz/hip-hop based around alto-saxophonist Sam Kininger - who is best known for his work with Soulive. Sam is from Boston and is a Berklee alum. He's also performed with Dave Matthews and Wyclef Jean. He performs with a keyboard player, bassist and Nikki Glaspie on drums. Nikki is incredible. She is also a Berklee album and recently has been drumming on tour for Beyonce. I see her face from time to time in drummer magazines.

Pete Levin Band [myspace.com/petelevinband] - 3 piece Freeform jazz covers of classic music lead by the very talented brother of King Crimson bassist Tony Levin

Sampson and the Folkadelics [myspace.com/sampsonandthefolkadelics] - 5 piece Funk/Hip-Hop/Reggae band from NY. They play super unique, tight, and completely danceable cover songs with a focus on vocal harmonies. One guy plays guitar, beatbox and contributes vocals. Another guy plays the fucking MANDOLIN (wah-wah style) and contributes vocals. Then there's the main vocalist. Drummer. Bass player.

Earl Greyhound [myspace.com/earlgreyhound] - 3 piece Rock band from NYC in the vein of 1970's rock/soul. Very visually stimulating. The three members are: a super skinny long-haired white dude who reminds me a lot of early David Gilmour (he plays guitar and sings), a super skinny black chick with a sizeable afro (she plays bass and sings - the harmonies and contrast of the two voices is really something), and a medium sized groovy black dude (he tears up the drums)

Heavy Hand [myspace.com/1heavyhand] - 3 piece Rock band from Philadelphia in the vein of 1960's and 1970's rock

Here's stuff that's not from this year, but I really grew to appreciate, this year

The Breeders - Kim Deal of The Pixies' band formed in 1988. Her twin sister, Kelley Deal, is also part of the project. They had a huge hit in 1993, Cannonball [video on youtube]. I'm sure you've heard it.

Lettuce - 7 piece modern funk/jazz band with clear influences of the forefathers of funk. They originally formed in 1992 when all 7 members met as teenagers at Berklee's Summer Music Program.

Muse

Ojos de Brujo - nine-piece hip-hop/flamenco/rock band from Barcelona, Spain

Roy Orbison - a legend who doesn't receive his fair recognition. Probably because he wasn't a visually stimulating man. Before he died in 1988 he was part of the pop super-group, The Traveling Wilburys, along with George Harrison, Jeff Lynne, Tom Petty and Bob Dylan. [music video for The Traveling Wilburys single, Handle With Care]

Thievery Corporation - last.fm describes this DC-based duo as, "downtempo/electronica with influences of dub, acid jazz, Indian classical and Brazilian styles fused together with a lounge aesthetic." I describe them as an eargasm.

The Ventures - I swear you've heard all of their songs. You just didn't stop to think about who the artist was. They formed in 1958. Were among the first bands to really mess with distortion. They're still making music, creating their own unique instrumental covers.

Dream Theater - Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory (1999) -- talk about a concept album! This is a fucking masterpiece... and I'm not into super pretentious over-the-top technical shit. I couldn't digest Dream Theater until I heard this record from start to finish.

Mastodon - Blood Mountain (2006)

Red Hot Chili Peppers - Blood Sugar Sex Magik (1991)
    Last edited by Neesh; December 13, 2008, 12:47 AM.
    spin round carousel when your horse isnt screwed in
    - myspace | last.fm | myfunk -

Re: Bands You Discovered in 2008 (share the love maaan)

GOOD LIST

Comment

bands I either caught live opening for someone else or heard about through the grapevine who truly rock and blow me away... These artists are forward moving with a classic sensibility... worth checking out

Judgement Day
      Flying Lotus
      Bon Iver
      MGMT
      Santogold
      Frightened Rabbit
      Shearwater
      Lykke Li
      Beach House
      Daturah
      Deadmau5
      Quiet Village
      Drew Danburry
      Deer Tick
      Gang Gang Dance
      Little Joy
      Foals
      SUNBEARS!

Here's stuff that's not from this year, but I really grew to appreciate, this year...

Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
      Beirut
      Between the Buried and Me
      Burial
      Chromeo
      The Heliocentrics

Comment

BIRTHDAY MASSACRE, Sky Eats Airplane, Innerpartysystem, Shiny Toy Guns, etc...

This was technically late '07 before I lost my mind but discovered deeper in '08.

Mad props to my man Erik. He knows what's up...

Oh and Judgement Day & Telescreen too

Comment

Originally posted by dsv View Post
          Mad props to my man Erik. He knows what's up...
          the 08 mysh
          is looking like
          it might grow to
          be 3cd instead
          of 2cd

so much good
          music and so
          little time

i plan to drop it
          on 1/1

that'll be my
          contribution to
          this topic

Comment

a lot..my top albums of 2008 will include a lot of them obviously, but among the stuff not from 2008 off the top of my head:

Jared Micah & Hats (Anathallo fans could get into them)
            Self
            Call Florence Pow
            Disillusion
            Immortal Technique
            Malajube
            Judgement Day
            Centaur Rodeo
            Subterranean Masquerade
            Unexpect
            SiKth
            allmediareviewsblog

twitter

Comment

judgement day
              can't think of anything else

Comment

Judgement Day, Frightened Rabbit, The Trophy Fire, MGMT
                http://www.facebook.com/iknockstuffdown

Originally posted by Knifeboy
                seeing how i'm a pompous asshole, AND a rapist.. Do you really have to ask?

Comment

Working...
                X