Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

so...(concerning economy)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: so...(concerning economy)

Just figured I'd chip in on this conversation since this economy shit is affecting me alot right now. I worked at the Charleston Port as a longshoreman from august to november, when I was laid off. I am currently without a job, and am unable to find one anywhere around where I live. I am in school, and have no way to pay for it anymore. Fuck the economy.

Comment

Originally posted by drummerjs View Post
      Fuck the economy.
      In America, the economy fucks you.

I'm sorry, I'm not being flippant. It hurts to read that most of you are struggling. So many of us saw this coming for years, and I felt like Cassandra warning the Trojans.
      Last edited by Trathena; December 10, 2008, 09:34 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

Originally posted by Trathena View Post
        it's funny cus it's true!

Or rather, no the fact that it's true just makes it kinda sad

but it's still funny

Comment

I'm sorry, I'm not being flippant. It hurts to read that most of you who are struggling. So many of us saw this coming for years, and I felt like Cassandra warning the Trojans.
          So, tell me, how would you see this coming based on 20 years of unsound economic policies? I think this is the perfect time for me to say "Fuck Christmas and its blind consumerism."
          I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
          I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
          A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
          To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Originally posted by AnewKINDofFEELING View Post
            So, tell me, how would you see this coming based on 20 years of unsound economic policies?
            I'm not saying I was the only one who saw flaws in capitalism, the "free" market, and deregulation. And I'm not saying it shouldn't have been obvious to anyone who was really paying attention.

I think that too many Americans equate democracy with capitalism.

Comment

I'm not saying I was the only one who saw flaws in capitalism, the "free" market, and deregulation. And I'm not saying it shouldn't have been obvious to anyone who was really paying attention.

I think that too many Americans equate democracy with capitalism.
              Sorry, I really wasn't calling you out in any way. I was agreeing with you and the internet no likey sarcasm.
              I don't have the time it takes to recover from the day
              I sit and moan and mope and groan and never have my say
              A crown of thorns from which is born a little baby bird
              To fly away and have its day is nothing but absurd

Comment

Oh shit, I totally get what you were saying now. I'm sorry, it went over my head. I'm on heavy painkillers right now and probably shouldn't be posting in threads anyway.

Comment

I'm going to take a break from my usual posting format to expound on some thoughts I have about this.

Fuck you, America.

The banking industry wants a bailout? Fuck you. Did I spend my time trying to fuck people over and profit off of every single possible element of someone's financial existence? No. So why should I pay the price? You knew that you were taking advantage of people, and continue to do so. You gave mortgages to people who couldn't afford them and loans to companies that didn't really deserve them. Fuck you.

The car industry wants a bailout? Fuck you. When global warming began to emerge as a hot-button issue, did you pay attention? No. When gas prices shot through the roof, did you pay attention? No. When the banking industry started to collapse and signal the financial apocalypse, did you pay attention? No. You kept making SUVs because all you can see are your profits. The first Prius came out in 1997 in Japan. Did you see the potential for a new market? No, not really. Your first half-assed attempts at hybrid vehicles didn't start showing up until a half decade later, after Toyota already stole your thunder. Even after all this has happened, you STILL want to continue having SUVs as a major component of your business plan. Fuck you.

And you know what, average Americans? Fuck you, too. You bought those SUVs when you knew it was a poor decision because you cared more about status and wealth than your own health and security. You took on mortgages for houses you could barely afford during an economic boom, pretending that your house of cards wouldn't eventually collapse. You bought into the lie you've been sold your whole lives and now that the corners are being peeled back before your eyes, the underlying dark truths are starting to scare you. Me? I live in a studio apartment and pay a much lower rent than most people in the area do. I have a German import car that gets decent mileage and is pretty reliable. I'm in debt, but have focused my efforts on paying it off. My life is pretty humble, and I can't lie and say I wouldn't want more "stuff," but I can live without an HDTV, PS3 and Wii if the alternative is convincing myself that just $50 more in monthly bills is "do-able." You are a fucking tool of the imperialist forces looking to capitalize on your ignorance. Wake the fuck up and stop bitching to everyone about the problems you helped create. You're not part of the solution, you're just another fuckup looking for a bailout. This also applies to the jobs in "jeopardy" in the auto industry that everyone keeps talking about. Hey, I'm not a member of a union and I don't work for a company that I know can't sustain its growth. But you showed up to work every single day, making more than double what I do, and you put together the SUVs that you should have fucking known would eventually put you out of work. BUT YOU GOT PAID, RIGHT? WHY BOTHER GETTING UPSET? Fuck you.

I think it's sad that jobs are being lost left and right as a side effect of this disaster (longshoreman? How the fuck do you fire them before you fire the CEO of Ford?). I agree that something needs to be done about this. But by and large, your average American is never going to think in terms of the sacrifices THEY can make to affect a real change and solution to any problem. The reality is that as long as you can afford to drive your Hummer around (hey, gas is SO CHEAP right now OMG) and you can get on XBox Live and smoke some fools at whatever fucking expansion pack you're addicted to, you won't put in the effort.

We are on the path to civil war. At least in the first Civil War, the two sides gave a shit about ideals and fought for something they believe in. This one will be all about the haves and have nots. But hey, maybe someone will come bail you out of that, too, America.

Check out the national debt stats. China, $375b. First. United States, -$731b. Dead last. And these are LAST YEAR'S stats. Where do you think that money is gonna come from? Who do you think is going to save you?

Oh, that's right.

Comment

amen, brother.
                    Originally posted by kata rokkar
                    Supterfuckingultrawesomecoreasaurus

Comment

bravo.
                      sigpic
                      We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
                      Originally posted by auto-de-fe
                      happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

Sadly enough, the economy is why I can't keep my job, not why I'm being laid off.

The EDD is why I'm losing my job, but they want me to know that I qualify for unemployment.

I think I've been taught a lesson this week.

Comment

billy if you've
                          got a resume
                          online somewhere
                          pm me and
                          i'll see if i can
                          help you out

Comment

Working...
                          X