Announcement

Collapse

Software Upgrade

I upgraded the software to ensure it works with PHP 8+ and save me a few bucks each month. If you encounter any issues, please email me.
See more
See less

What have you watched recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What have you watched recently?

I don't know how many of you frequent movie theaters or rent movies, but I go almost weekly. I thought I'd start a movie rating thread for movies people have seen recently. It may introduce you to some movies you didn't know about.

Anyway, I saw two this weekend:
    The Visitor - Pretty good. The ending left me feeling empty, and there's really not too much action in the movie. But it was good. 4/5

Son of Rambow - Very creative and original. Mainly child actors, yet it was surprisingly good. 4.5/5
    Twitter | Facebook | Rate Your Music

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree
    Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Re: What have you watched recently?

I saw Iron Man last week. Definitely the best "comic book" movie so far. I really enjoyed it, even though it's entirely predictable like they all are.
    Originally posted by Gnomad
    I think we're forgetting one huge factor in all of this.

Super God.
    Originally posted by auto-de-fe
    do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

Ok, this is going to sound really, really lame unless you're a fan of Victorian literature, but I've recently watched most of the Masterpiece Theatre production of Elizabeth Gaskell's Cranford. It's kind of . . . I don't want to say "weird," actually, but what the writers did was combine three of Gaskell's novellas--one of them Cranford--and made this five-hour production. So it's kind of disconcerting to see other characters from other books in a movie titled "Cranford," but I'm thoroughly enjoying it. And the other two books do have ties to the Cranford tales, so it kind of surprisingly works.

Hmm. No movies in the theater recently.

Comment

Originally posted by TheRuleofThree View Post
        I saw Iron Man last week. Definitely the best "comic book" movie so far. I really enjoyed it, even though it's entirely predictable like they all are.
        The best "comic book" movie is either Sin City or V For Vendetta.

Very well - you caught me in a rare mistake. I commend you for achieving this elite honor.

Comment

Originally posted by Ars Sycro View Post
          V For Vendetta.
          I saw that movie! Haven't read the comic, though. Should I? Would it help me understand the motives of the "terrorist" better?

Comment

I haven't read it either, but I've heard it's good. It's also much darker.

Comment

It's also much darker.
              Mmm. Perfect.

Comment

On second thought, Josh, I did find "Sin City" much better than "Iron Man." I enjoyed "V for Vendetta" as well, but I guess my point about "Iron Man" was that it's the best out of the mainstream comic book adaptations (a la Spiderman, The Hulk, etc).

Come to think of it the Batman movies were pretty good too.

Ok so disregard all my comments up to this point.

Hey guys!

"Ironman" was pretty good!

Super God.
                do you think we can get a sticky for this thread so that i can constantly be reminded how much of a dick theruleofthree is?

Comment

The best "comic book" movie is either Sin City or V For Vendetta.
                  I disagree. Iron Man was definitely the best adaptation of a comic book character for me. While I agree Sin City should be praised, V for Vendetta sucked. It tried too hard to be subversive and drill a political messege that I felt could have been handled better. Alan Moore has publically distance himself from the film. While I'm not crazy about the comics, this is what Moore had to say...

""[The movie] has been "turned into a Bush-era parable by people too timid to set a political satire in their own country… It's a thwarted and frustrated and largely impotent American liberal fantasy of someone with American liberal values standing up against a state run by neoconservatives—which is not what the comic V for Vendetta was about. It was about fascism, it was about anarchy, it was about England."

Iron Man was just so goddamn fun with Robert Downey Jr in the title role, I had no idea he had it in him.

Anyway, just finished Persepolis and I can't think of anyone I can keep myself from recommending it.
                  Last edited by fuckyeahfinnegan; June 2, 2008, 01:27 AM.

Comment

iron man was good but I prefer batman begins as the best major comic adaptation. iron man was more fun while batman was more serious, both qualities I enjoy.
                    sigpic
                    We'll fuck standing and we'll fuck then lying, if they had wings we'll fuck them flying, when they are dead and long forgotten we'll dig them up and fuck them rotten.
                    happy birthday, you bastard of bastards.

Comment

I just saw the Dylan biopic(kind of) I'm Not There. If you are a Dylan fan and are familiar with his life, then I whole-heartedly recommend seeing it. If not, then you probably won't get what's going on.

Jim James' version of "Goin' To Acapulco" is just bloody amazing

Comment

Originally posted by fuckyeahfinnegan View Post
                        Iron Man was definitely the best adaptation of a comic book character for me.
                        I wasn't saying anything about "comic book adaptation". But Iron Man is way overrated. It was good, but it was nowhere near Spiderman (1 or 2), X-Men (1 or 2), several of the Batmans (most notably Batman Begins), Sin City, or 300.

Comment

Ewwwww (response to Spiderman and X-Men).

Super God.

Comment

The first of each was really good. The second was a notch or two under. The third was awful.

Comment

Batman Begins is the best comic book adaption ever. And one of the best movies of all time.

Comment

Working...
                              X